Sign in to follow this  
ChrisL

Engine Swap - VR6 into a 16V?

I have a 2.0l 16V but really want a VR6, how easy is an engine transplant or should I sell up and buy a VR6?

im tempted to change to vr6 setup. plenty of people seem to be selling them.

as far as i know you'll need

subframe

engine

loom

ecu

gearbox

hubs

suspension

exhaust

brakes

all from a vr6, be it golf or corrado

not sure but i think you can use original clocks and fuse box from your rado. i think anyway, might depend on your year

if you find out anymore info about this it will be most usefull for me too

I agree with the guys but if you did want to do it its not the hardes of thing to do as all the parts can be had and the engine is designed to go in the car (not like putting an 18T in for example)

Also dont think you would *have* to go wide track but you would need the dampers/springs due to extra mass of the Vr motor...

would be easier to buy one imo.

there are gonna be a huge things that are different that you may not think about.

add brakes to your list

then you have the hassle of trying to sell it (down the line), and explaining to someone that it isn't a 'real' VR

thinking more about this, i reckon if your going to change the engine, go for something a little different than a VR

If you're dead set on doing an engine swap, go for a 24v without a doubt. Would surely be cheaper and easier to buy a VR and sell your current C though.

If I had a valver and wanted more power, I wouldn't entertain either of the V6 engines. Yeah it's a nice unit as supplied but there's no way I'd retro fit one. Only worth doing if you particularly like the noise imo.

Go with a turbo instead mate and the power to weight ratio would eat 24V and 12V VR6s for brekky.

Not if so called VR had a charger or turbo fitted :p

Sell up and buy a VR mate, you'll save bag loads on insurance too!!

Let's get the guy's mind made up first before entering into the [expensive] realms forced fed V6s!

But yeah, if a VR is a must, then buy a VR ;-)

i'm with you Kev, plenty of options to be had turboing the valver. Except the shopping list can get plenty expensive, like the spreadsheet I got at the moment!!!

but it depends how comitted to the car you wanna be, selling it could be tougher and if you want 6 cylinders then easiest solution is to start over

kevs right bang for buck a turbo conversion would be good but it wouldn't feel like a vr.

stan a good turbo 16v will eat a vr with a supercharger. from what i have found a vr t makes a better daily driver than a high power 16vt more vr middle and bottom.

the shopping list can get costly but people have made 300hp for about a grand on a valve before now. its what and where you source it from that matters.