Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

hydrogen fuel injection system for a corrado

if you burn more hydrogen, IE H2 gas, you would get more hydrogen coming out the exhaust

Either you're not explaining yourself very well or you're saying the by-product of burning hydrogen is...hydrogen?

when you burn hydrogen it creates water vapor as a byproduct.... pretty snazzy huh?!

In combustion, the hydrogen is "burned" in engines in fundamentally the same method as traditional gasoline cars. In fuel-cell conversion, the hydrogen is turned into electricity through fuel cells which then powers electric motors. With either method, the major byproduct from the spent hydrogen is water.

but you said Hydrogen was the bi product.

I know burning hydrogen produces water, but I don't see how that will acomplish -

IE H2 gas, you would get more hydrogen coming out the exhaust, at this point your O2 sensor should read rich, the computer would then lean the mixture out to accomidate the hydrogen being added. and you would use less gas

I would have also thought there was an easier way to make your engine run lean than just strapping a Hydrogen Cell in the boot (trunk ;)).

I worked with Cryogens and voltile Gases (in Atom Sources) for a few years, and really think these substances need to be treated with a high degree of caution

plus, I just don't see the benefits from the money you will have to invest.

it sounds like a gimmick to me to be honest mate

saying that the process does really interest me, and I'd love to see the results, and a working model

i'd have thought so too Gaz

small, easy and cost effective isn't the american way though ;)

I'll have alook on the net today, and read up, as it does interest me

edit:

reading the first article from CHEC HFI they use the words 'Hypothesis', 'mathematical model' and 'theory' a little too much for my liking.

you read the article and you can almost replace the phrase Hydrogen Injection with Magic Beans. It just doesn't explain anything.

I shall read on though :)

What happens inside the combustion chamber is still only a guess

reading the first article from CHEC HFI they use the words 'Hypothesis', 'mathematical model' and 'theory' a little too much for my liking.

you read the article and you can almost replace the phrase Hydrogen Injection with Magic Beans. It just doesn't explain anything.

I shall read on though

wtf :lol: all this hydrogen injection stuff is like bruce forsythe`s wig ............... it goes over me head :lol:

so. you take some water, zapp it with electric, then it releases Hydrogen, which is all good so far, then you burn the hydrogen and it turns into water?

The laws of conservation of energy sort of suggest that this is not possible. Where does the energy come from?

Sounds like we need to ditch this naff nuclear power plant idea and take up burning water!

somebody help me out here as I am seeing perpetual motion.

so. you take some water, zapp it with electric, then it releases Hydrogen, which is all good so far, then you burn the hydrogen and it turns into water?

The laws of conservation of energy sort of suggest that this is not possible. Where does the energy come from?

Sounds like we need to ditch this naff nuclear power plant idea and take up burning water!

somebody help me out here as I am seeing perpetual motion.

I think the energy comes from the petrol you are burning? ;)

you seem to be forgetting that this is still a petrol driven combustion engine :p

does hygrogen not burn (quite fiercly) on its own?!?! I think so my freaky haired friend. That tells me its releasing quite enough energy on its own without any need for petrol.

does hygrogen not burn (quite fiercly) on its own?!?! I think so my freaky haired friend. That tells me its releasing quite enough energy on its own without any need for petrol.

the amount of energy released will completely depend on how much you burn :roll:

and if you want to be nit picky, no, hydrogen does not burn on its own ;)

they are saying that a small addition of Hydrogen into the cyclinder will burn off the 'dangerous toxins' in the emission, they aren't suggesting it is a replacement power source or fuel, just an additive, that acts like a catalyst in the reaction.

I see the thinking behind it, but reading those 'reports' they are all written by salemen, and sadly lacking in any facts

ironically its Hydrogen that did that to my hair :)

lol :D

fight fight fight!!!!!!!!!!

As I said, they are only introducing tiny amounts into the system, so the vast majority of the energy is coming from the petrol. It actually seems to be the same idea as the Carbon Canister on my VR, just introducing hydrocarbons into the combustion chamber via the air, to increase 'The Burn'. Although the Hydrogen Injection method is probably more effective than my Carbon Canister, seeing as my CC is sat in a box in my garage :

The figures they quote for increased effiency go from 10% to 40% through the various websites. and none of the websites can actually tell you what is going on, some even describe the process as a 'Mystery' ffs o_O

I really think LPG would be a better/cheaper/proven idea.

This all smells like all those 'chips' etc you can buy on ebay

and to answer your question, yes, Hydrogen can be used as a fuel like petrol, along with wood, coal, and dogs

Kev, gas is now 3.50 US dollars a gallon, in your country gas is 4.95 a gallon US dollars. we are inching closer to you guys. =-0.

Erm, gas here is $8.64 a gallon mate....well, a UK gallon, not your puny US Gallon :-)

Coxy, exactly....there is a metal layer between me and the petrol and it doesn't burn in liquid form anyway. It's just the vapours that do. Hydrogen in flammable form is extremely volatile and sitting in the boot, there is only a parcel shelf and seats preventing you getting fried....and they'll burn anyway!

So the spare oxygen from the electrolysis then, can that be fed into the intake also, and make it go a little better? Faster, more complete combustion, less % nitrogen (and I do actually mean nitrogen there!) in the mix, more complete burn, possibly giving increased performance and lower emissions (e.g. more 0xygen means less CO and more CO2 etc). Might get a bit hotter though.

Phil

So the spare oxygen from the electrolysis then, can that be fed into the intake also, and make it go a little better? Faster, more complete combustion, less % nitrogen (and I do actually mean nitrogen there!) in the mix, more complete burn, possibly giving increased performance and lower emissions (e.g. more 0xygen means less CO and more CO2 etc). Might get a bit hotter though.

Phil

these systems apparently run cooler

cheers, sounds good. they got 5% efficiency on a big diesel as an average. which means about 12% on my 4 banger

cheers, sounds good. they got 5% efficiency on a big diesel as an average. which means about 12% on my 4 banger

as I said, the figures seem a bit few and far between.

some of the sites I found quoted upto 40%

thing to notice is that all the sites I saw/read were manufactures sites (ie: they are trying to sell the product), I didn't see one site that had a genuine scientific report on the process

the one I went to was a scientific report... it says 20fficiency, it makes sense if you think about it, you are buning the hydrogen in gasoline, so if you replace the gasoline with H2 gas, you are burning the H2 gas so you engine will put less gas in.

oh btw, I am one of those americans who can get the thing machined for me for free so it will only cost me the cost of metal and wiring and time of course.

Hydrogen in flammable form is extremely volatile and sitting in the boot, there is only a parcel shelf and seats preventing you getting fried....

Should give you just enough to time to leap out of the car then, while simulteaneously extinguishing you fag :lol:

and the container its being created in....... (aluminum welded casing) and the stainless steel braided line that its being transffered in...... its not leaking anywhere anytime soon,

coxy that was kind of mean dont you think? we have abandoned the word fag in the US.... unless it means something else over there...or if you want to be incredibly unpolite it means the same thing here.

oh and by the way coxy, the guy that made his setup with the .5A and very high voltage transformer did defy laws of physics, no one credited him though because he doesnt have a degree of any sort, he dropped out of high school. but he does have the international patent on the 1700fficient electrolyzer, where does the energy come from you ask?

its called group velocity thoery and its used to explain faster that light travel, I just completed this project in my quantum physics class, last semester. basically he found the natural frequency of hydrogen and used a small current and high voltage and high frequency to amplify the amplitude of the atom's vibratory wave pattern so much that it broke the bond between the hydrogen and oxygen without much effort at all. modern physics explains a lot of things that classical physics can not. =-)