Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

hydrogen fuel injection system for a corrado

so I have been doing a lot of reading into hydrogen fuel injection systems for diesel trucks, I will be attempting this conversion as well as completing my long waited AMG supercharger conversion over my summer vacation from college.

so far this is what I know, the process is electrolysis, I will be making my own electrolyzer and it will be stored in the rear of my car, it will be approx 8" - 10" diameter (round mounted on rack). it will use 1/16" stainless steel rods in lengths of 18", with a diameter of 1", the setup will be a series setup of rods.

being that the car will be producing upwards of 300 horsepower on regular fuel I thought I might as well make up for some gas mileage while im at it by adding a hydrogen injection system to lower emissions, shouldnt take too much extra time being that its a simple process.

power will be delivered via the alternator, obviously.

If anyone randomly knows I was wondering how much nitrogen gas I would need to have to match the same amount of nitrogen in 1 gallon of gasoline. I figured 24 gallons of N2 gas at 1 atm to get the same amount of nitrogen in 1 gallon of standard fuel (C8H18), (assuming you consume 1 gallon per minute) I did this calculation expecting nitrogen vehicle would get about 2.2 times the efficiency that a standard motor does. I am only going to be doing a fraction of this in the end with my electrolysis.

has anyone had any experience with hydrogen fuel injection?

Huh :? .....

Surely all you need is a dilithium crystal from Capt Kirk rather than this fuel cell stuff :lol:

I don't think you want to be pumping any more nitrogen through the system - air is already 80% nitrogen.

shouldnt take too much extra time being that its a simple process

Ah, classic 'famous last words'.

Good luck with that. I can see the '17k US invested' part of your signature changing very soon.

Just bear in mind Hydrogen is very very explosive and not really something to be buggered about with by the amateur in my opinion. Also i dont htink a standard alternator is going to be happy supplying hte kind of current you need to generate the gas, last timei saw it done they used a welding machine to supply the current in short bursts....

Mark

potatonet, it looks from the literature that this is mainly for cleaning up emission from diesel engines (if it works at all).

clicky

Also as mbaker said, you really, really, do not want to be making this stuff onboard (remember the Hindenberg).

Just bear in mind Hydrogen is very very explosive and not really something to be buggered about with by the amateur in my opinion. Also i dont htink a standard alternator is going to be happy supplying hte kind of current you need to generate the gas, last timei saw it done they used a welding machine to supply the current in short bursts....

Mark

I agree on both counts.

The kind of current you'll be talking about is gonna be huge, and Hydrogen is a very dangerous substance.

Really don't see why the nitrogen is needed either, as said above, you have that in shapes in normal air.

I have never heard of this process before (being used in cars), but it sounds interesting, so i'll have a read when i'm home tonight.

I really would weigh up the benefits and cost, as I know the emissions are strict over in Cali, but this all sounds a bit dramatic to me.

good luck with it though, if you decide this is the way to go

Sounds interesting, but I really can't understand why Americans need to bother with it when their gas is so cheap, but it's good that they're experimenting on behalf of the rest of the world!

It's us Brits that need cheap alternative fuels! But then the UK being what it is today, you can guarantee Blair will tax the hell out of Hydrogen generators, negating their financial benefit.

I personally don't like the idea of flammable and volatile stuff in the car anyway.

Why not use water injection with 20% Nitromethane and lean off the fuel tables? It's safer and cheaper and gives more power too.

I personally don't like the idea of flammable and volatile stuff in the car anyway.

as opposed to the highly flammable substance just undernieth that thin skin of metal called a boot :lol:

and ']['H3R4POR, do me a favour and change your avatar pic, its freakin me out man!

Kev, gas is now 3.50 US dollars a gallon, in your country gas is 4.95 a gallon US dollars. we are inching closer to you guys. =-0.

there is a way to make enough nitrogen to supply half the fuel in my car, being thrown out of the electrolyzer at 5 psi, its not being compressed, its going directly into the intake system. at this point its not as volatile as you might think. it is still a flame "enhancer" at this point and not an explosive.

oh and for those people who think it requires 30A or more, well thats not entirely true, the current systems available for diesels draw 35A max and produce enough nitrogen to power 45

so you really mean Nitrogen then?

can someone explain to me what Nitrogen has to do with anything?! as far as I was aware it is not a flammable gas?

Firstly, the exact cause of the Hindenburg disaster has never been confirmed.

Secondly, like Coxy says...nitrogen, huh?! Pressurised nitrogen in the Hindenburg...cellulose nitrate...neither of these existed. The lift gas was hydrogen and the cellulose layer of the fabric coating was acetate butyrate impregnated with aluminium.

Kev, gas is now 3.50 US dollars a gallon, in your country gas is 4.95 a gallon US dollars. we are inching closer to you guys. =-0.

Over £1 per litre last time I filled up with Optimax on Sunday.

Make that $7.15 per US gallon... :?

Over £1 per litre last time I filled up with Optimax on Sunday.

Make that $7.15 per US gallon... :?

More like $9 a gallon at current exchange rate. It'll take some inching to reach our level of fuel taxation.

Still trying to find out what the nitrogen is for.....

I stand corrected - I'm sure the Hindenburg distaster had nothing to do with the hydrogen on board. Although to be fair I never mentioned 'pressurized' or 'nitrogen' in my original comment. Having worked with pressurized gasses for 10 years I learnt to be extremely (and I cannot emphasize that too much) careful around hydrogen. Meant no disrepect - just offering advice...

sorry guys I meant to say hydrogen, Ive been mixing hydrogen and nitrogen up a lot lately.... :?

the hindenburg never had a correct answer, the skin on the surface is what most likely caused the problem, not the HYDROGEN inside of it. the hydrogen just added to the problem. the hydrogen was laced with garlic so they would have noticed if it was leaking before anything bad happened. (unless someone shot it down).

ANYWAY!

hydrogen is still considered dangerous and it is currently being used in diesel trucks, this gives me enough safety factor to put it in my corrado. efficiency will be determined by me I guess. Unless kevhaywire can explain nitromethane and how it does what he claims...

Nitromethane injected in through a water mist system with water/methanol would have the effect of increasing the oxygen content (bit like nitrous, but it's also fuel in its own right) and keeping the inlet temperature lower, so giving a denser gas and again increasing the amount of oxygen. More oxygen allows you to add more fuel and gives more :D :D

God I hope that's right - makes sense to my chemists brain.... Anyone with more experience of this stuff please chip in.

yes but Im looking for better economy, hence the hydrogen.....

octane....C8H18 contains hydrogen, when u burn it u get hydrocarbons, lots of Carbon left over, mixed with oxygen, IE CO2.

which means, if you burn more hydrogen, IE H2 gas, you would get more hydrogen coming out the exhaust, at this point your O2 sensor should read rich, the computer would then lean the mixture out to accomidate the hydrogen being added. and you would use less gas. technically speaking you could add a bunch of hydrogen and just cut off your fuel supply. this would make your car run on water, using electrolysis (a lot of VOLTAGE would be needed to make this happen, not so much current but the fluctuations in voltage make this work, you could do it the opposite way, high current and low voltage but this process is less efficient). you would need a titanium exhaust system though so you would rust out anything, or stainless steel works too.

this in theory would work.

oh and at the current exchange rate its 7.12 for a US gallon in the UK, here its 3.50 for a US gallon. you are double right now, normally for us gas hogs its about 2 dollars per gallon. so its double the normal price for us right now.

it would cost 8.57 US dollars for 1 UK gallon, we were at a stage where it was 6.50 for a US gallon in the US, the hurricane that hit Louisianna cause gas prices in Louisianna to go up to 6.50