Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

Having a crack at repairing my wing...

Well, seeing as I was getting p***ed off at looking at a crumpled front wing every day, I thought I'd have a crack at knocking it back into some sort of shape, filling the dents, priming and spraying it.

To all the bodyshop experts out there - yes, it's going to be a poor repair compared to what a pro bodyshop would do, but my plan is to actually get a replacement undamaged or new wing on it before E38 show anyway, so I don't really care if it looks a bit poo, I wanted to have a go and see how badly I could do! :lol: :p

First pic is the original damage, second pic is partway through the sanding to get back to bare metal, and third pic is after the first skim of filler.

Have discovered this stuff called Fadeaway, which looks like it could really help me out, but there's no UK distributor... Hmmm, time to phone the European distributor in Holland then... ;)

Looks like a good job so far. Make sure you rub it down with a hard block. As soon as you see an island of metal start to appear in the filler stop and give it a gentle tap with a hammer, then continue rubbing untill you get the shape right. The metal high spot is far harder than the filler, so it needs to be knocked in, if you keep sanding you will never lose the high spot. Get the shape right, ignore low areas from trapped air in the filler, you can always fill them with the next wipe of filler. Give it a good blow off between applying filler to ensure all dust is removed. You should be able to get that ready to prime in 2 or 3 wipes of filler.

Make sure you run your hand over the repair to feel for any highs or lows.

To blend the edge of the lacquer we always used to use thinners (2 pack when using 2 pack paint). Just mist it around the edge. It will come back to a good finish once flatted and polished.

mate take it to a bodyshop if your happy with the prepping and tell them to blend it in,, it may only cost something like £20 and it will be perfect, unless u got an awkward colour, worth a try

Cheers Phil - yeah, I'm washing it off, drying it and tacking it off between skims of filler - and will do the same when I start priming and basecoating... Can't mix thinners with lacquer as I'm using aerosols for the time being...!

Like I said, this is just temporary til I get a replacement wing, as the arch edge is too far pushed in to be able to resurrect the correct shape of the arch so that I'd be 100% happy...

Anyone know if you can still get new wings from the stealers?

Right, updated pics...!

First one is after sanding down the first skim of filler, second one is after sanding the second skim of filler, and the third is the rust around the side repeater being taken care of before the third skim of filler gets applied... :)

:lol: yeah, she looked a bit worried when the 40grit came out but I assured her it wasn't for her!

Decided against a third skim of filler as time is marching on - there's still a couple of low spots but like I said, this isn't aiming to be a perfect job by any means!

First coat of primer...

heheh, yeah, took the afternoon off as I basically had no work to do...! not a good situation when i need the money from overtime, but there you go...

just about to go and remove the overspray and put on another coat of primer in a min methinks...

Right, here's where it stops tonight - three coats of primer. Gonna sand it down tomorrow and do the basecoat, then do the clearcoat on Sat morning. Have decided to clearcoat the entire panel just for the sake of an even finish...

Bit dusty and dirty, with some overspray still to remove, but looking better than it was!

Sweet, good on you having ago. It looks like your doing okay.

Wouldnt it be a good idea to take the front bumper and trim off though?

Wouldnt it be a good idea to take the front bumper and trim off though?

Probably - and if I was doing it properly I would have! This is just a temporary stopgap really, so as long as it looks better than it did before I started then I'm happy... :)

Dem wheels need a clean

All in good time... ;)

i would take your time dave, as my mate needed a new wing after he's front wheel came off?? even with a mates 25% VW discount, he payed £255 for a new wing :shock:

Good work there Dave. Be interested to see how the colour comes out, see you Sunday at Stonor I expect

Nice one Dave.. looks like its coming along great. Suspect I will also see you / the car on Sunday at Stonor :)

8) looking good, you going to stoner park? planning on going if you want to meet up there for that chat? :wink:

I've got a smaller version of your dent in the exact same spot I'll be tackling once I've finished replacing the battery tray

I'm sure you've watched more than enough Overhaulin' by now to know what you're doing :lol:

you may laugh, but if i didn't spend all my time watching american hotrod/overhaulin/rags to riches/etc, then i wouldn't have even considered having a go at it!

it's all your fault... ;)

nice one Dave, its looking great. ive seen your spray can work first hand and i know this is going to look great!

and dont forget, the final finish is all in the wrist

heheh, had a bit of a busy weekend, so it's still in primer - but i did actually manage to locate a late-spec aqua blue passenger wing from a breakers anyway so now i don't need to finish it off! though i think i will, just for the practice... sometime this week, if i get time... :)