VR6

The Jailor's Charged VR6 ...... No More /Sob

Can you get more pics of that Bedford Rascal that you sent me please?

Ok, only one though as I know you really love a Rascal. Excuse the car that got in the way of the pic though - fecking Jap-car owners, think they can park anywhere!! Sorry I don't have any more shots of the Rascal :(

No chance of going back and keeping the Evo out the way? :luvlove:

And im ripping out all the sound deadening out along with the dynamat extreme in there, 2 bulk kits worth.

It's all about the Damplifier Pro 8)

But has now been sold .....

And replaced with a 2005 30k Evo 8 MR 340 :clap:

(Sorry I'm really bored!)

The MR's got a lot better spec to the normal FQ's so the handling is better and the engine is a lot stronger for modding. So it definitely handles a lot better although the black one had more like 380bhp and this one in the region of 360bhp.

Sorry no more shots of the Rascal though :(

I could show you some shots of my 'rascal' though if you prefer? ;)

it's all about the Evo 8! :D

best version of the 8 as well :notworthy:

any plans for it? :norty:

(not at all surprised you got rid of the r32 after owning your previous evo...)

Cheers Pete. Some might argue the 400 is the ultimate 8 but they tend to go for a bit of a premium so I'm happy to settle for the next best thing!

Plans? I'm trying not to think of any! It's FAR too easy to start extracting more power and spending £££ on alloys and lovely carbon bits! As I'm sure you know?!

What a curious little car history you've had recently! Evo, to Golf R32, back to Evo again :lol:

For the record I think the Black Evo looks best 8)

So the Corrado is still lurking around somewhere then, feeling sorry for itself?

Cheers Pete. Some might argue the 400 is the ultimate 8 but they tend to go for a bit of a premium so I'm happy to settle for the next best thing!

Plans? I'm trying not to think of any! It's FAR too easy to start extracting more power and spending £££ on alloys and lovely carbon bits! As I'm sure you know?!

i had a feeling you were going to mention the fq-400! IMO it's a magnificently capable car, BUT... it has too many drawbacks to make it a viable daily option. the horrendous turbo lag, the turning circle, even worse fuel consumption etc etc - it would make a great weekend toy, but as a daily or even a regular driver it's a fair way off the mark. the latter evo 9 fq-360 had a much better torque curve and was much more "driveable", as is the new evo 10 fq-400 by all accounts...

that's why (IMO of course) the fq-340 is the best 8 of the bunch out of the box

the good thing about the evo 8 fq-400 (in case you don't already know) is that it comes with forged internals, motec ecu, janspeed sports cat, alcon uprated clutch and 6-pot brakes etc etc all as standard - so the path to much higher numbers is made very very easy :nuts:

and yes, i'm all too aware of the draw to "improve" on any evo's already fairly decent figures! (mine never felt fast in a straight line and i would really like to have changed that...)

so you recon it's much better than the 9 then just because it's an MR model? what were the MR to non-MR differences? - it thought it was largely just a change in suspension (slight drop and different damping rates) and possibly ARBs...

What a curious little car history you've had recently! Evo, to Golf R32, back to Evo again :lol:

For the record I think the Black Evo looks best 8)

So the Corrado is still lurking around somewhere then, feeling sorry for itself?

tis true!

the thing with evos, in the same way as corrados, is one you've had one you seem to get a serious (and involutary) hankering to get another one...

there's just something about them that feels "right" - exactly like the feeling when getting back into a corrado from something inferior

i've had a reasonably interesting car history and amoungst it was a subaru impreza wrx sti wr1. it was a nice car and i had it when it was still quite new, but it never ever left it's mark on me like the corrado or the evo. despite the evo being 4 years older than the impreza (and comparitively about 6 years older by the time i bought it), it drove much much better than the impreza could ever have hoped to and put a massive smile on my face in places where i would be left numb and distant in the impreza

Kev,

Yeah, bit of a loon with car buying over the past 18 months or so :lol: One thing that always bothered me about the black one is that it had a LOT of owners and over here (being such a damn small place), it just always seemed like someone elses Evo and not my own. So got offered the R and thought it would be a good chance to a) get a bit of cash back and b) get a car I've always fancied.

Pete,

Yep, I'd definitely love a 400 but as you say, they're just difficult to live with. I'm not so keen on the 10 but they're starting to grow on me a little more. I think if I had a choice it would be a 9 MR 360 - as you say, ticks just about every box. Either that or I could have my arm twisted by one of the (3?) white 8 400s!!

so you recon it's much better than the 9 then just because it's an MR model? what were the MR to non-MR differences? - it thought it was largely just a change in suspension (slight drop and different damping rates) and possibly ARBs...

I'm guessing, based on this question, that you think my old black one was a 9 from the front bumper? If so, it had a 9 bumper added (lots of work! So luckily wasn't by me!) but was an FQ 330 modded to around 380bhp. The 8 FQs all got good specs but the 340 MR got a lot more extras than the earlier FQs before they moved to the 9. The 9 got everything that the 8 MR got plus the Mivec engine, new bumpers and a few other bits. AFAIK!

the thing with evos, in the same way as corrados, is one you've had one you seem to get a serious (and involutary) hankering to get another one...

there's just something about them that feels "right" - exactly like the feeling when getting back into a corrado from something inferior

Definitely ..... and lots of people spout on about how they're souless Jap boxes blah blah blah. I'll go out on a limb and say 80% of those people have never even been in one let alone driven or owned one.

Not sure I could put up with the running costs if I lived in the UK and did more than 5k a year though!

aaahhhhhh - you're right, i did think it was a 9 from looking at the front bumper...

fair enough on that one. didn't realise the mr versions got so much more over the standard fq's (other than the bits i mentioned before) - do you know exactly what the differences were in the 8's?

and yes, the 4g63 engine to go for is the 9 with mivec isn't it - they always seem to be the most sought after for coversions etc (don't know why mitsi decided to move away from the iron block with the 10 when they have had it so right previously...)

anyway, glad you're happy with your latest purchase - how long will it be before "the bug" kicks in and you start throwing parts at it i wonder?! :lol:

Yep, I'd definitely love a 400 but as you say, they're just difficult to live with. I'm not so keen on the 10 but they're starting to grow on me a little more. I think if I had a choice it would be a 9 MR 360 - as you say, ticks just about every box. Either that or I could have my arm twisted by one of the (3?) white 8 400s!!

I don't know if my mate's 360 was an FQ or an MR? It was 6 speed, had the Mivec engine, some new fangled turbo and 17" speedlines. It was quite the unstoppable beast across the B roads though. It would work well on the rock's TT course I suspect. I honestly think NOTHING could keep with it on those kind of roads, assuming equal driving skill.

What makes me laugh is they didn't bother with a recalibrated boost gauge, so the boost needle just flies past the max marker all the time :lol:

That would make geeks like me think the wastegate isn't opening!

Aren't the 8 400s supposed to be REALLY pushed to the limit and potentially unreliable? When it was first launched all those moons ago, I did hear a few reports of engine's popping.

Definitely ..... and lots of people spout on about how they're souless Jap boxes blah blah blah. I'll go out on a limb and say 80% of those people have never even been in one let alone driven or owned one.

Noisy boxes certainly, but souless? no way! There are plenty of cars that fly off the Blandometer scale but the Evo isn't one of them.

Not sure I could put up with the running costs if I lived in the UK and did more than 5k a year though!

My mate's averaged 15mpg and dropped to 8-9mpg on a thrash. It cost him £800 a month in fuel, so it had to go.

I don't think you would like the exhaust noise or hard suspension on normal roads either :D Matey's had a truly ghastly HKS exhaust on it you had to shout to be heard inside it.

Yeah AFAIK the 360s are the MR - basically the best 9 they did as they didn't bother with a 400 this time around (I think). Helluva a beast as you say - not quite the raw animal that the 8 400 was but probably quicker (I dare guess) just due to the lack of lag and improved engine, suspension and other components.

Mine's certainly loud but the sound-proofing is pretty damn good so cabin noise is fairly minimal.

£800 a MONTH in fuel? F**k me!! I honestly don't know how people can afford to run them when they're doing even a paltry 12k a year, for example. That's 2 services (approaching a third!) at a few hundred quid a pop plus of course the petrol as you mention. I think I get away with it as fuel cost is around £60 a month, insurance is about £500 fully comp and I service it once a year on the basis of doing about 5k p/a.

The suspension on the MR's is better (bilstein rather than something else I think? .... FAR too many model changes to keep up with every stat!) as my FQ330 used to jiggle Graeme's boobs :lol: but the MR not so much. Scientific or what?!

Pete, hope the MLR don't mind me stealing this but this is a run-down of the 8 spec variations .... crazy or what?!

Evo VIII 260

• 2 cats (1 in down pipe, 1 in "normal" position)

• 5 speed gear box

• 9.8T housing (some with single flapper wastegate)

• Slightly modified Evo VII ECU (four plug with two different pins - Earth?)

• Euro Style Recaro interior c/w rear adjustable headrests - Leather / Suede option at cost

• Non-folding electric wing mirrors

• 8 MR pistons & head gasket

• No rear wash jet or wiper

• Small spoiler with brake light incorporated

• No SAS System

• UK style Number Plates

• Integrated Fog lamp in rear light cluster

• Single Din dash

• Kenwood 6 speaker CD / Radio system

• Large Battery

• Bridgestone Potenza tyres

• Non HID Headlights

• ISOfix points in rear seating

• 3x3 Point Rear Seat Belts

Evo VIII FQ 300 – as 260 plus:

• Upgraded blue/black interior incl. narrower seats

• HKS Superdragger turbo elbow back exhaust

• 3 Plug ECU

• Secondary Air System (SAS)

• More aggressive cams

• Folding electric mirrors

• Double Din stereo slot

• Climate Control

• Fog light in bumper

• Japanese-style front number plate holder

• Only one catalytic converter

• HKS Hardpipe kit

• HKS panel filter

• 6 speed gear box

• Yokohama Advan A046 tyres

• Rear brake light in windscreen

• Larger carbon spoiler (body colour paint on outer uprights)

NB: There is confusion over which engine internals are shared between the VIII 260 and the FQ range.

Evo VIII FQ 330 – As VIII FQ 300 plus:

•upgraded black alcantara/leather interior

•piggy back ecu

•restrictor pipe connected to wastegate actuator

•smart nav.

Evo VIII MR FQ 300 – As VIII FQ 300 plus:

•10.5T (single flap) housing

•upgraded cams

•MR seats and door cards

•carbon effect dash inserts

•dark brushed steel steering wheel

•Bilstein shock absorbers

•aluminium used in roof and side door beams

•Team Dynamic (gunmetal) alloys

•black background to front and rear lights

•slightly bigger oil cooler (more layers)

•twin boost solonoid

•optimization and reinforcement of the oil channels in the pistons

•uprated 5-ply head gasket

•added tension in piston rings, v shaped groove in second land of pistons

•reduced weight S-AYC diff (alu casing), higher strength hypoid gears, operates even when ABS is activated.

Does not have:

•HKS Superdragger exhaust

Available in gunmetal grey, not available in black, yellow or blue.

Evo VIII MR FQ 320 – As VIII MR FQ 300 plus:

• HKS Superdragger exhaust

• HKS panel filter

• HKS hardpipe kit

Evo VIII MR FQ 340 – As VIII MR FQ 320, plus:

• Piggy back ECU

• Black leather/alcantara interior

• Optional sat nav

Evo VIII MR FQ 400 – As VIII MR FQ 320, plus:

• Forged engine

• Limited edition of 100 Custom built Garrett GT Dual Ball bearing turbocharger

• Owen Developments custom manufactured cast s/s

exhaust manifold & elbow

• Omega forged pistons

• HKS forged con rods

• HKS 680cc injectors

• Zytec ITP116 high pressure fuel pump

• HKS 1.6mm steel head gasket

• Motec M800 OEM ECU

• HKS iridium spark plugs

• Jan Speed High Flow Sports Cat

• Alcon competition derived 240mm high clamp mode, HD

clutch with Cera-metallic 6 paddle sprung centered drive

plate;

• HKS High Strength Head and Big End Bolts

• Alcon Mono6 Brake Kit with Monobloc 6 pot road caliper &

343mm curved vein disc, aluminium bell,

Ferodo DS2500 pads

• Ralliart Aero Mirrors

• Carbon fibre front lip

• Carbon fibre rear vortex generator

• PIAA High Performance light & wiper upgrade

• Half leather and FQ400 Logo in Seats optional extra

• Gloss black Team Dynamics lightweight alloy wheels

:lol:

This Spring/Summer when I have a new gaff and somewhere to work on her. It will be no expense spared! Fired her up at the weekend for a monthly warm up and first turn of the key, off she went as usual.

Plan is get the interior sorted, re-do the brakes, freshly refurbed Speedos (sitting upstairs) and a respray/damn good detail!

:lol:

This Spring/Summer when I have a new gaff and somewhere to work on her. It will be no expense spared! Fired her up at the weekend for a monthly warm up and first turn of the key, off she went as usual.

Plan is get the interior sorted, re-do the brakes, freshly refurbed Speedos (sitting upstairs) and a respray/damn good detail!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

bring on the summer!

:D

Road that the picture of the r32 was on looks sweet.

Also, it is all about having a machine then having your old skool beauty.

Nice to see proper car heads here, not jsut posers. ;)

Bloody hell whats going on :o Your car inspired me loads in the early years!

What sort of chapter you going to be entering then mate?

New chapter is probably better referenced to the car, rather than me. I've sort of been on a new chapter for a while. But I'd love another Corrado - think I just need a year or so and a nice big garage! :)

Sorry again Simon - I know you would have been a perfect new owner for her. Unfortunately I was turning down deposits after a few days.

No worries the hunt continues.

1 week in after the sale and you say

"I would love another corrado"

Lock it up.