Sign in to follow this  
chris CORRADO

ALL RED REAR LIGHTS?

humm as title i trying spraying mine with the halfords crap and now they have a official complaint to deal with... the finish wasnt shiny even tho i sprayied it in layres and preped the area reli well b4 spraying?

any sugestions how this dude gt his like this?

[align=center]corrado1.jpg

corrado2.jpg

corrado3.jpg

corrado4.jpg[/align]

or how abt OSV i know u have done a good job??

any help needed

Even with a decent can of tint you'll get a matt finish mate... you need to leave it to set, rub it down with very fine wet and dry or cutting compound and then spray a clear coat laquer to get the shine 8)

Hey up mate, I laquered mine at the weekend. They come out dull if you just use the tint on its own, rub it down with 800 grit wet and dry, then laquer and leave them 24 hours to dry. Afterwards the laquer looked a bit orange-peel so I rubbed down again with 800 grit and plenty water, then buffed up with T-cut to bring back shine.

Do the bottom half too as the red won't match and it will look pants, I don't think it's legal to tint the lights at all tbh, but who cares? BTW take it easy reversing as your reverse lights won't show up!

ha ha nice one yea ok thanks guys for all ur help. ill get back on the case straight away.......

can everybobdy post pics of theres in here...?

cheers

I used the savage spray and built it up over a few days and a seperate laquer. I masked up the reversing lights though.

3 people asked me on Sunday at Inters how I did mine, so they must be

alright.

redrears.jpg

I've done mine, check out the Wiki article which I made whilst doing it.

Should warn you though - I just failed my MOT because they don't flash orange enough... :(

Ive done these:

IMG_6033.jpg

Used Savage tinting spray, no laquer.

Removed all raised letterings/markings, and red tint spray only applied on top half.

When they were sprayed, polished them up with Brasso Metal polish. Then Mer Polish, and then sealed with Meguires Tech Wax.

Edit: Also bought 2mm twin pinstripes off ebay for £2 posted and removed roughly 3 hours after applying paint

Indicators still flash orange, I have a feeling they will flash a clearer orange when/if green bulbs are fitted.

19June2006011.jpg

Try T-Cut on yours first if they are dull it might bring them up nicely.

The savage stuff is really good, I've used it on a few cars with great results every time.

Is the savage tinting spray available from any shops or is it an internet item? how many cans does it take to do both lights?

Cheers Fraser

You can get it from Motorworld shops across the country (just say no if they try and sell you neons though!), and it is pretty damn close in colour to the red lower sections. One can will do all four clusters with 8 or so decent coats as long as you're not spraying the lower half (which you shouldn't anyway...) ;)

I got mine from Wilco motorsave, I'm unsure if they're a regional chain but you should be able to get it anywhere really. It cost me £8.99 and one can will easy do the whole rear set. Demon tweeks stock it:

Savage, but its £10.99 and then there's postage.

I got mine from http://www.speeding.co.uk not sure how much.

Highly reccommend it, good stuff and does match the bottom. I gave the bottom of mine 1 coat though to match it better - the bottoms did pass the MOT still.

I used this Japanese stuff called Dia Wyte, one step...no sanding, buffing required. Just clean the lens and apply 3 thin coats, with time to dry in between.

Picture_025.sized.jpg

If you want even better results and durability, have a bodyshop spray the lights with a coating of clear.

r_tail.jpg

Here's mine, done a couple of weeks ago.

Masked off the reversing light, and masked off 2mm stripes in the indicator part to keep it flashing orange. And it worked! In daylight they flash completely orange, if it's dark they are red/orangey but acceptable.

I am so chuffed with them, you have to look really hard to see the orange stripes :D 8)

IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg