Sign in to follow this  
mr_fusion

The 'Running a Rotrex charger on a VR6' thread..

Bummer :-(

As above really, it was a good and unique project (for the CF at least) and it's a shame you're having to pull the plug.

That rotrex is an animal, totally different power delivery to the Vortechs. It will sell easily, especially as it will deliver a bar of boost, good for VR6 turbo output levels.

IMO, this charger + a schimmel chargecooler kit + a head spacer would make an easy, fuss free install and a tonne of grunt.....if you have the means and ability.

Thanks Toad & Kev.

I must say, it has actually been quite enjoyable developing the kit and I have learnt far more about the C than I would have done otherwise. There truely is a LOT of power available there.

Hopefully it will go to a good home and I would love that someone on the forum contiuned where I left off.

Don't sell it !

Talk to the Storm Boys, I've just spoken with them and they help u sort this one out.

There will be much writen about Rotrex kits very soon but Kev is right they are an animal and that means you need to proceed with caution.

OK Then Lads (and Ladeeees)

Seems like I have had a change of heart on this....

Now i've had a month to mull this over and have spoken to a few sources, I have decided to continue.

To be honest, at the time I was getting a little pissed off with how far I had got and then falling at the last hurdle, but I think I can cheaply get this to be a viable project for my C again.

So.....

Problems:

a) Reduce the boost

b) Calm the pinking

c) Quieten down the dump valve as its pissing me off now.. "Psshhhht Pssshhht Psshhht"

Solutions:

a1) Ok, a new 80mm pulley (I am running 70mm at the mo = 15psi) whould calm it down to 10-12psi - £60

a2) I am going to fit a decat pipe as I have been advised that all the gases are not being able to get out of the exhaust quick enough after being burnt and the 14 year old cat is quite possibly a little bunged up by now. As long as i swap back over to the cat at MOT time then all is well.

b) Cooler platinum plugs and uprated ht leads should help with a stronger spark and also help with the detonation problems. I may also consider an uprated fuel pump.

c) I have ordered a recirc dump valve to replace my Bailey DV24. This should quiten down the intake side considerably and combat the "Chav" sound I have grown to hate with a passion!

All these mods are going to cost less than £200 (not including the fuel pump), so I will see how I get on over the next week or so.

Keep u posted...

Ben

Great to see you back on track.

Mine needed uprated sparks so defo goin in the right direction with that. I'd also recomend you slip in a 70 deg. thermo. Now I know there has been quite alot written about that but basically if once you have got used to the new power you drive arround like I do the engine will need all the help it can get to keep the combustion chambers in their temp envelope.

Your also welcome to have a go in mine if you ever stray west a bit!

Nice one Ben, good to hear you're carrying on with the project. After seeing the Storm guys at the forum RR day the Rotrex charger is a nice piece of kit and is a great way to go.

Keep going that last bit, it'll be worth it! I for one can't wait to have a look around your motor at a meet sometime this year.

wow just read through all of this and i a now considering a charger for mine , hope everything goes to plan and please keep us updated

Hmmm......

This thing looks pretty mental!

Could it be used with the shrek intake manifold? And a 6-branch exhaust mani for that matter? I take it both can remain fitted?

don't see why not. apart from the small clearance issues that need to be addressed at the side of the head, should be no problem.

Well..................................................

i have just accidentally bought this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... &rd=1&rd=1

I put a daft bid in ages ago and never thought anything else of it until I got the email from ebay this morning saying I had won it!!! :lol:

I was slightly gutted actually, as I had just been going to Jimmi last night about the merits of the simplicity of NA engines lol

So the ever changing final spec of my corrado changes yet again!

its not going on for a long while yet, but I may be pulling the schrick cams out of the engine and running it as a standard R32 to cover the charger cost.

will have to start picking up parts and stuff to fit it now too!!

is yours running yet?

Looks like you got a bargain there!

The oil system seems to be the older type though.

You should be able to get a bracket from Storm Dev. I paid about £300 for mine.

My new engine aint in yet and won't pick the car up till the end of the month at this rate.

I might have to sell me kit to finance the new engine. I will get a larger pulley (80mm = 10-12 psi) for the rotrex anyway as the one I have is too small at 75mm = 15+ psi

Engine I got from Jimmi only has 70k on it and has been rebuilt so should be good for charger, just have to see how my finances are holding up!

Desperately want to sort my bodywork as priority really, looking well scruffy.

I will be breaking my old engine for the rebuilt head etc and I will try and salvage the spacer gasket from C2Motorsport + the ARP head bolts.

I will keep you all posted in the coming weeks...

Looks like you got a bargain there!

The oil system seems to be the older type though.

You should be able to get a bracket from Storm Dev. I paid about £300 for mine.

My new engine aint in yet and won't pick the car up till the end of the month at this rate.

I might have to sell me kit to finance the new engine. I will get a larger pulley (80mm = 10-12 psi) for the rotrex anyway as the one I have is too small at 75mm = 15+ psi

Engine I got from Jimmi only has 70k on it and has been rebuilt so should be good for charger, just have to see how my finances are holding up!

Desperately want to sort my bodywork as priority really, looking well scruffy.

I will be breaking my old engine for the rebuilt head etc and I will try and salvage the spacer gasket from C2Motorsport + the ARP head bolts.

I will keep you all posted in the coming weeks...

is that £300 just for the bracket , or is that for a kit??

Bracket, pulleys etc. Everything needed to bolt to the car minus the standard idle tensioner mech and the belt (or maybe it includes the belt)

i.e everything shown here...

vr6-bracket-003.jpg

thats a nice bit of bracketry.

I have emailed SD to get a price for the spacer gasket and the mounting bracket.

what else would I need?

chargecooler

Pipework

chip (or the dread stand alone engine management!)

cant think of anything else

p.s. does that mean I am going to jump to the top of the pile in the most powerful corrado competition? ;) :lol:

SDs charged r32 made 490bhp!!!!

flippin hell

stealth or sd will do the remap no probs...

you will need bosch red top injectors as well i think.... I assume they are the same for the R32 as the 12v?

Ebay is your best bet for those (guys running V8 engines in the USA)

nah the R32 injectors are a much higher spec than the standard VR items. Even so I dont know if they will be man enough for the job or a charged r32.

you will regret it if you sell you kit mate, it will be lke driving half a car now you have experienced it!

12Vs use Bosch 150 series type injectors and 24Vs use much smaller ones and they're direct to head aswell IIRC.

You will defo need bigger ones for a Rotrex :-)

Well I am just about to book my car in at SD for a rotrex charger! I couldn't resist after reading all about them. Bloody good price as well this month :)