Sign in to follow this  
Anton Sobriquet

SNS Tuning Diamond Finish Billet Gear Knob - BEAUTIFUL

It's a beautiful thing, no doubt. Maybe I've been a student for two long because £50 just sounds like a lot to me these days!

Yeah the weight does make a difference to the shift quality. Used to have a similar thing on my old MK2.

Bit cold in the winter tho, LOL!

Cold in the winter?! C'mon we're meant to be men :lol:

They cost £45 plus postage which i thought was pretty good considering they're machined from billet in low numbers so the machinig cost is pretty high - unike the cheapo mass produced stuff which weighs about as much as a gnats gonad. :lol:

I appreciate some people may find it too much to pay for a gearknob, but bare in mind thus thing performs a function of improving your gearchange with its weight and shorter height. So its more of a performance mod than an aesthetic one.

ive got one of these on mine, really nice, much better than the long bit of tat i had on there before, used to feel like changing gear in an old ford transit!!

I invested a month ago :oops:

have to say I wasn't happy with the price when I first saw them on here, but got swayed, so ordered one.

makes a huge difference to the change, not just cos of the weight, but also because the shaft goes further in (oh uh) so the overall length is shorter.

money well spent for me :)

I was only joking about the cold thing!

The Reiger knob / gaiter kit is the best I've seen for the OE look. It has weighting in it aswell and looks and works a treat, especially if you hook up the backlighting :-)

I was only joking about the cold thing!

The Reiger knob / gaiter kit is the best I've seen for the OE look. It has weighting in it aswell and looks and works a treat, especially if you hook up the backlighting :-)

Yeah, I like that one ;)

Where can they be bought Kev? Cant remember :scratch:

Here you go chap, can't be arsed to shorten the link - http://www.riegeretc.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=81

It's bloody good quality. Comes with a suberb quality leather gaiter too. I went for the green illumination, not into the whole day glow thingies....

I went for it because my OE gaiter was worn and split and was sold on the fact reiger supply one with the knob, and it works out cheaper than OE replacement, and the knob looks better anyway!

Pics below of Jim's Reiger knob when he had his MK4 TDI, the rado one is exactly the same, but you'll get the idea. What you see is what you get. Stylish knob (would work well with chrome interior door release handles) and very decent leather gaiter.

LEDs built in, you just connect the two trailing wires to a dash light output, such as the fag lighter for instance. Doesn't take long at all, very easy.

What's $80 in pounds? About £45-£50? pretty good value imo.

Reiger1.jpg

Reiger2.jpg

Reiger3.JPG

Oooh, I was just about to part with the readies for a SNS one and I've seen the Reiger ones now..... The agony of choice. They both look really good.

Gotta be a Rieger one IMO. It looks like it could well be OEM, subtle but different. Very cool 8)

If you're going for just looks then probably Reiger, but if you want an improved gearchange then its the SNS.

Reiger one does look nice.

If you're going for just looks then probably Reiger, but if you want an improved gearchange then its the SNS.

Reiger one does look nice.

So the Reiger one doesn't improve gearchange? Or just not as much as the SNS one?

Agreed, the Reiger isn't as weighty as the SNS alloy one, but it is a fair bit meatier than the OE jobbie, so you will notice a slight improvement in the shift quality. Shame there isn't room in the engine bay for a much bigger counter weight, that's where the big shift improvements come from.

The Reiger is tops for the OE look though. The shiney metal bits on my stereo and steering wheel set it off really nicely. Just need some chrome handles now to complete the package!

If only it was possible to have the weight of the SNS one with the looks of the Reiger one eh.

Any ideas of it will be possible to shove some leather over the SNS one? But that's gonna be more on top of the already £50 "just" for a gearknob...