Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

Been out this evening and dismantled enough to look at what's happening.

Seems the sensor is coming into contact with the inside edge of sprocket, its so small an amount, not enough 1mm.

The sprocket bolts are fine and the sprockets are tight, i think it is to do with the fitting of the timing chain cover, must be a little bit high.

Not sure whether to refit the cover and try to keep it as low as poss. Not sure there is much adjustment in that.

Or i might just run the dremel around the sprocket as well, just to be sure.

Has the head been skimmed? Was the cover skimmed by the same amount too?

I bought it as a complete engine a few years back, ran it for about 30000miles and put it in storage. Just chucked it back in so i can use the car this year. Am pretty positive its the original cover as Vince had told me about the skimming of the cover.

I wonder if i have too much sealant in the underside where it meets the lower cover/head gasket.

I have a brand new upper timing chain cover kicking around if it'd be of any use Jim :)

Cheers Jim, I have about 3 of them already :lol:

Found that the plastic pickup wheel fixed to the sprocket was cracked, not sure, but think it could be that hitting the sensor (i keep changing my mind) but this seems to make the most sense as it didn't seem to be hitting all the time, so maybe its distorting when hot/high revs??

Seems a hard part to find, i have one on the schimmel cams but can't get the bolt out, brought the bits into work today to see if i can do it.

Was the trigger wheel. Must've slipped off the notch slightly and I've tightened it which has bent it.

Comparison pic

20170601_193924.jpg

In other news my clamp turned up

20170601_223017.jpg

Still waiting for the other part that it clamps to arrive.

Thought i'd update this a bit as got another new engine update coming soon, still running around with an engine i bought off the forum a few years back, but its using oil and sounds tappy.

I just paid Fotki some money hoping i could link pics to here, but notice the photobucket pics in this thread seem to be working for me now? Do they work for everyone?

Testing some Fotki pics from recent mot

20180519_085139-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

20180519_085123-vi.jpg

20180519_085116-vi.jpg

20180519_085047-vi.jpg

20180519_085037-vi.jpg

Got my new engine yesterday, Its a 2.8, but new and unused stock (just been hiding away in a warehouse for a few years. Seemed a good option for me, figured i could run it in and then look at fitting some cams or a charger/turbo in the future. Came with everything, even spark plugs, i just need to fit a crank pulley.

20180717_195903-vi.jpg

20180717_195858-vi.jpg

20180717_195847-vi.jpg

20180717_195840-vi.jpg

That engine looks fabulous. Congratulations on finding and purchasing it. Good luck with the fitting.

Just debating what i remove if anything before i fit it.

Will swap the cam cover for my metal one, am wondering what chain tensioner it has, the old style or the newer one. But all the covers seem well sealed. I noticed the sump is fitting using sealant and not a gasket.

Need to try and get a crank pulley, struggling to take one of the old block. Ordered a new bolt for it already. Might just buy another pulley.

What's the engine code? It would be worth checking the cam sensor sprocket is compatible as the USA got a MK4 12V 2.8 VR6 2WD and your engine appears to be from May 99?

Engine looks spot on mate.

Given up getting mine as seller keeps messing me around, also from what I understand they are not new engines, but rebuilt engines. Either way still a fair price if you can get one.

Excellent.. hopefully a new old stock motor will be the end to all your woes! Look forward to seeing updates as and when you get it into the car :)

Engine looks spot on mate.

Given up getting mine as seller keeps messing me around, also from what I understand they are not new engines, but rebuilt engines. Either way still a fair price if you can get one.

Did the chap selling them say that?

I did wonder, but looking at the engine, the block seems to have all the original finish and markings on it and i can't see any signs of any corrosion that you normally get on the head, especially where the thermo housing bolts on and every bolt and clip looks new as well.

Either way as you say a good price when you start adding up all the individual parts and money you would have to spend having things cleaned and coated

Excellent.. hopefully a new old stock motor will be the end to all your woes! Look forward to seeing updates as and when you get it into the car :)

I hope so, i like to think i'm starting at 0 miles with no worry of anything not normally replaced in a rebuild being worn.

Yep, my mechanic mate called him up and quizzed him on the engine, he's also apparently got 15 of them now.

Did the chap selling them say that?

I did wonder, but looking at the engine, the block seems to have all the original finish and markings on it and i can't see any signs of any corrosion that you normally get on the head, especially where the thermo housing bolts on and every bolt and clip looks new as well.

Either way as you say a good price when you start adding up all the individual parts and money you would have to spend having things cleaned and coated