herisites

Rob's R32 Corrado - FOR SALE :(

I'll third that, awesome work mate!

Looks like you'll have it up and running before the weekend! :wink:

Cheers guys, I appreciate the good comments after a hard weekends graft! It's all for you guys anyway at the end of the day :lol:

...It's all for you guys anyway at the end of the day :lol:

LMAO! I almost just spat my tea across my desk! :lol:

...It's all for you guys anyway at the end of the day :lol:

LMAO! I almost just spat my tea across my desk! :lol:

:lol:

I have a bit of a problem now though, i'm loving this project, and it looks like it could be finished within a couple of weeks so I am going to be really bored again :( well I will be driving it a lot but not ALL the time! Might be time to start looking for a Mk1 golf project soon me thinks :lol:

So what's the plan for the old 12v motor then mate? Just noticed the Corozin is now looking for a good block to rebuild his race engine with?

What about that Audi 80 that rado-steve's got up for £600, eaton'd 1.6 project?

your a bad man! my 3.2 in my garage is looking more and more appealing and i've just spent £900 rebuilding my VR :(

Hi Rob,

Keep having a look at your thread and gotta echo everyone elses comments here that you have made top progress! would so love to be able to do this kind of thing and i have to say i totally admire anyone with the ability to even think about it let alone go ahead with it :notworthy:

Hope the rest of it goes well & without problems, tootles off to fit my new sump to the VR after getting inspired :lol:

So what's the plan for the old 12v motor then mate? Just noticed the Corozin is now looking for a good block to rebuild his race engine with?

What about that Audi 80 that rado-steve's got up for £600, eaton'd 1.6 project?

I don't know what I am doing with the 12v yet, it's prepped for turbo so someone will take it I'm sure! I want to wait until I have the R32 completely working before I start flogging all my stuff just in case!!

I would love an old school project with a car like that, but I don't have the room where I am anymore :( I will just have to do some bits to my little bros mk3 polo :lol:

your a bad man! my 3.2 in my garage is looking more and more appealing and i've just spent £900 rebuilding my VR :(

Sorry dude :lol:

Hi Rob,

Keep having a look at your thread and gotta echo everyone elses comments here that you have made top progress! would so love to be able to do this kind of thing and i have to say i totally admire anyone with the ability to even think about it let alone go ahead with it :notworthy:

Hope the rest of it goes well & without problems, tootles off to fit my new sump to the VR after getting inspired :lol:

Thanks mate! I equally admire the amount of time and effort you put in to your car, I wish my car was half as mint as yours!

congrats on that Rob. Thats making up my mind too on the 24V route, but for me i suspect the issues witll be electrical rather than mechanical. Keep up the good works and the pics. Just need to find a good auto box now...

its awesome the stuff you get done :shock:

makes me feel i really should get things happening with mine

I had to modify the front mount on mine, and you can't just stick the VR oil cooler on, I'll take some pics on monday if you like?

Hmm I was told I could just put the VR cooler on, I have put it on and it fits perfectly. Do you know why it can't go on? Problem is, I don't know how to weld and don't know anyone who can really so modding the front mount wasn't an option for me.

Ahh sorry mate i hadn't read the thread properly. All I meant was you shouldn't just use the VR one on it's own for cooling as it's probably not up to the job (hence the massive one on the R32) but you're already one step ahead of me there with the mocal...

Cool to see another one one the way and you've made very fast progress!

I had to modify the front mount on mine, and you can't just stick the VR oil cooler on, I'll take some pics on monday if you like?

Hmm I was told I could just put the VR cooler on, I have put it on and it fits perfectly. Do you know why it can't go on? Problem is, I don't know how to weld and don't know anyone who can really so modding the front mount wasn't an option for me.

Ahh sorry mate i hadn't read the thread properly. All I meant was you shouldn't just use the VR one on it's own for cooling as it's probably not up to the job (hence the massive one on the R32) but you're already one step ahead of me there with the mocal...

Cool to see another one one the way and you've made very fast progress!

think the pic with the mocal is Karl's old install there pal - but mocal is the way forward anyway!

and yes - it's easy when you know how isn't it?!!!

sorry, not putting you down at all there buddy - some top work you've done there. you'll have it all sorted pronto - just got to get it off to see Mark at Souh West In-Car Tech now and you'll have a large smile on your face :grin:

in Mark's own words; he said i was giggling like a little school boy the first time i took mine out after it had been remapped and it was out of limp mode :norty: :lol:

i won't ever forget that moment - makes me miss the car now :cry:

Cheers guys :cheers:

Pete - The wiring is already with Vince at Stealth, he is sorting it all out there and labelling everything, then he gives me it back fully mapped and I just plug it in ... theoretically speaking anyway :pale:

Kip - Yeah I have a mocal which I had on my Rotrex charger, just need a sandwich plate really. To begin with I will most likely just be using the VR cooler on it's own, which isn't ideal I know, but I'll just have to keep my eye on oil temps until I get the Mocal sorted.

Come to think of it, I didn't have any additional oil cooling when I had the Rotrex on which was kicking out 270bhp and the oil temps never went through the roof! Obviously it will need some form of cooling to be safe, but at least I know I can drive the car until I get that sorted out!

Come to think of it, I didn't have any additional oil cooling when I had the Rotrex on which was kicking out 270bhp and the oil temps never went through the roof! Obviously it will need some form of cooling to be safe, but at least I know I can drive the car until I get that sorted out!

if that's the case matey, then you might be alright - the 24v runs cooler and more efficiently than the 12v anyway; just keep an eye on it as you say...

i found that it was only on long hard runs that the temp crept up.

i was doing a long journey at night - think 2:00 in the morning (on a very long private road naturally!) and sat at circa 140mph for about 30 mins in my 12v - saw the temp hit 136 deg! usual hard driving only saw the 12v go up to about 120ish though.

suck it and see pal :)

that's a good way to do it with the wiring - do you mind if i ask how much Vince is charging (PM me if you like).

think i would prefer to have taken the whole car to get the wiring done personally, but the way you're doing it is much more convenient for you i guess

The R32 runs leaner than the 12V. It holds 14.7 AFR until EGTs hit a target temp and then it drops to 13.2 AFR.

The 12V turned off lambda at full throttle every time, so ran richer more of the time. Richer runs cooler than lean so I would say a mocal is definitely a good idea on a retrofit conversion, especially if losing the R32 heat exchanger :)

As said already though, suck it and see, you're not going to blow it up during the bug fixing stages but defo fit 2 fans to the radiator because the heatsoak from the rear bank seriously heats up the water.

The R32 runs leaner than the 12V. It holds 14.7 AFR until EGTs hit a target temp and then it drops to 13.2 AFR.

The 12V turned off lambda at full throttle every time, so ran richer more of the time. Richer runs cooler than lean so I would say a mocal is definitely a good idea on a retrofit conversion, especially if losing the R32 heat exchanger :)

As said already though, suck it and see, you're not going to blow it up during the bug fixing stages but defo fit 2 fans to the radiator because the heatsoak from the rear bank seriously heats up the water.

have you got those two AFR numbers the wrong way round there pal??? - i was under the impression that the perfect 14.7 ratio was leaner than 13.2...

one thing i didn't mention before by the way Rob (possibly a bit late now!); i would wrap the manifold while you can mate. it's not a difficult job, just time consuming and annoying (prepare to itch from the fibreglass for a day or two afterwards!). it will bring your engine bay temps down a fair whack and personally i don't like having all that heat right under the plastic intake manifold. even if it does have the heatshield between it and the intake, it's still not very nice - both for the flimsy plastic and for your intake temps

one thing i didn't mention before by the way Rob (possibly a bit late now!); i would wrap the manifold while you can mate. it's not a difficult job, just time consuming and annoying (prepare to itch from the fibreglass for a day or two afterwards!). it will bring your engine bay temps down a fair whack and personally i don't like having all that heat right under the plastic intake manifold. even if it does have the heatshield between it and the intake, it's still not very nice - both for the flimsy plastic and for your intake temps

Well not necessarily too late as can take them off again easily enough, bit of a PITA though! I see what you mean about the intake temps though. I have some aluminium tape which I was going to put on the bottom of the manifold to help prevent some heat soak from the head/exhaust.

speak to Kip_VR about the heatwrap - he can put you onto some really good stuff.

also - i put an extra layer or two of heat-shield material type stuff between the existing heatshield on the car and where the gear-selector box goes. that will help to prtotect the gear-selector and the cables as the twin-cats will put a fair bit of heat down there. you can get hold of it pretty cheap off fleabay.

it should be alright when you're moving as the air will carry it all away, but when you're stationary on a hot day, i can see it getting pretty toasty under there!

speak to Kip_VR about the heatwrap - he can put you onto some really good stuff.

also - i put an extra layer or two of heat-shield material type stuff between the existing heatshield on the car and where the gear-selector box goes. that will help to prtotect the gear-selector and the cables as the twin-cats will put a fair bit of heat down there. you can get hold of it pretty cheap off fleabay.

it should be alright when you're moving as the air will carry it all away, but when you're stationary on a hot day, i can see it getting pretty toasty under there!

Yeah me and Kev discovered that the gear linkages gets burnt by the downpipes as standard on the VR! It hadn't burnt through enough to effect my linkages though, still surprisingly smooth considering they've done 160k!

Yeah me and Kev discovered that the gear linkages gets burnt by the downpipes as standard on the VR! It hadn't burnt through enough to effect my linkages though, still surprisingly smooth considering they've done 160k!

i thought mine were good considering the mileage mind - did you see the state of the bush on the selector end of my gear shift cable! (a pretty poor design really for VW)

not good matey.

it's worth keeping an eye on fleabay for the cables as well - i was lucky and got hold of one for about £35 - VW want an extortionate amount for them though (i know as i paid full whack for the other one :? )

i thought mine were good considering the mileage mind - did you see the state of the bush on the selector end of my gear shift cable! (a pretty poor design really for VW)

not good matey.

it's worth keeping an eye on fleabay for the cables as well - i was lucky and got hold of one for about £35 - VW want an extortionate amount for them though (i know as i paid full whack for the other one :? )

Yeah I remember seeing your pics of the gear selector bush! Mine don't look too bad, a bit slack as they would be, but can't be arsed to replace so have just connected it all back up as it was :lol:

I spent nearly a ton on oil this week, Silkolene Pro S for the engine and some Redline MT90 for the gearbox (never used before so will hopefully make a nice bit of difference).

Not a lot has happened since my last update, just been connecting bits up like all the rad pipes, PAS pipes, fuel lines etc and generally cleaning bits (not perfect but it's not going to be a show car!).

Should hopefully get it pretty much completed this weekend bar the wiring which I am still waiting for Vince to do, but he's been stacked with work apparently so not expecting them to be done quickly :(

Rob, if it makes you feel any better, i recently parted with over 200 sheets at opie oils for new engine/gearbox/transfer box/diff oils, along with some new coolant to boot!

i've also got a brake and clutch fluid lined up at somepoint soon - but that's after i've done the cambelt and both front bearings!

the joys of buying cars and sorting them out when you first get hold of them!

Rob, if it makes you feel any better, i recently parted with over 200 sheets at opie oils for new engine/gearbox/transfer box/diff oils, along with some new coolant to boot!

i've also got a brake and clutch fluid lined up at somepoint soon - but that's after i've done the cambelt and both front bearings!

the joys of buying cars and sorting them out when you first get hold of them!

Yeah I realise I could have spent a lot more! It's needed at the end of the day. I also had to get oil filter and G12 from VW, but should have everything now to make the engine complete this weekend ready to turn the key ... when the wiring's done!

Ahh don't need brake/clutch fluid but do need PAS fluid, must remember that!