Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Retro fitting Parking Sensors

As above,

Anyone ever bought after market parking sensors and fitted them to your car.

And no, they wont be going anywhere near the Corrado before you all panic.

In a moment of madness I bought a set of ebay last week. Not sure if I really want to fit them to the Bora now. Lots of drilling etc....

Any comments??

T.

been thinking about getting a beemer setup for the rado... just need to find some.

Have seen ones in halfrauds but dont like the read-out thingy-bit that goes inside the car... Have been looking at high end bemmers and mercs and some of the sensors in the bumpers can hardly been seen. I'm sure I've seen colour coded ones too....

fitted them to a friends, dads jag xk8. he nearly fainted when me and my mate went at the car with a drill and a holesaw. we put them in the rear lights and they worked perfectly. the read out was just a control unit with a speaker which got hidden away

our alarm fitter also supplies reverse sensors.. they're actually smaller than the BMW units as well.

Alarm-A-Car (Bristol) Ltd 17 Neville Rd Bristol, BS15 1XX, 0117-935 2209

i believe they may be part of a chain..

Recieved the sensors etc this morning.

They were £15 ebay special and I am surprisingly pleased with the quality of them.

As per usual, its raining outside so not sure if I can be bothered to fit them. Still not sure if I can bring myself to drill the bumper either!! :shock:

I'll try and sort out some pictures at some point.

T.

Timo wrote

Come on, Timo, be brave, radical and sensible!

The Chubzer is correct, I did have them fitted after reversing into a rickety wooden post at a garden centre - I am an old git after all and we ain't too proud to go against macho fashion and do something sensible to correct matters!

The Corrado rear vis is the worst of any car I have owned - only a foolish young buck would deny you need 'em!

Timo wrote

Come on, Timo, be brave, radical and sensible!

The Chubzer is correct, I did have them fitted after reversing into a rickety wooden post at a garden centre - I am an old git after all and we ain't too proud to go against macho fashion and do something sensible to correct matters!

The Corrado rear vis is the worst of any car I have owned - only a foolish young buck would deny you need 'em!

Very true about the rear visibility. Dont really use the Rado' that much to justify putting the sensors on it.

Have more trouble with the Bora, can never judge where its sticky out bum is and therefore feel it would be better to use them on it.

T.

the rado is so easy to park anyway. They're tiny cars!

Gotta dissagree with that, the vision out of the rear is terrible IMO!

Agree about the Bora. When we were looking for ours my G/f was adament that she wanted it to have a rear parking sensor. I thought an aftermarket one would do (if after a few weeks she was still going on about it). But we ended up getting one with a sensor fitted - and I have to admit - it's great. The rear visibility is pretty rubbish - so I'm glad we've got them on there now...

Oh - there was a good guide to fitting them on Bora base - but the site hasn't been up for a while...Try asking on the MkIV forum as there are plenty of Bora drivers on there.

not sure if anyone else mentioned this or even saw Jay renshaws old rado parked next to PVW stand saturday? the new owners fitted aftermarket parking sensors in the rear bumper???

gonna get a set for my 'rat estate as it's flippin' huge and I can't work out where the overhang ends! :oops: :lol:

I think anyone who has them will agree they do the job brilliantly.

Pic of mine here. Not too obvious, really, as they blend in OK.

el chubbo wrote:

Can you paint them so they are the same colour as the car body?

Probably, with vinyl paint - - - and as long as they are not yellow. :wink:

I have watched lorry drivers reversing some massive vehicles using only the mirrors and thought to myself - "Yep, you can do it with mirrors only with enough practise."

However, I did watch a milk lorry slowly reverse out of a yard in Johnstone in 1973 thinking "he's a professional driver - I'll be OK".

The rear corner of the truck then proceeded to clip our one year old Manta, tearing a hole in its side at the boot! My wife and one-year old son were sitting in the car, too.

Mind you, he reassured me by saying "Sorry, I couldnae see oot the back cuz the windae was a' steamed up. Never mind, the insurance'll see ye aright."

As quicky1980 says, I've fitted the Laserline kit which replaces your number plate holder on my Passat.

I got the kit from MotorWorld (plus some scotch-locks and some tape) for £66 all-in (they were £79.99 rrp at the time), haggling for a bit of local-business discount (it works!).

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/show_prod. ... d_id=10519

DSC00353_thumb.jpg DSC00354_thumb.jpg

Works really well actually, as the 'rats big arse is difficult to judge.

Andi

Like the look of the number plate surround set-up, i'm forced to park on the road most nights (the missus beetle gets the drive :roll: ) and have to reverse park it.

May well invest after seeing yours fitted...

Couldn't bring myself to drill the bumper so I had a look at the bottom rear skirt. Low and behold its angled slightly upwards so I thought happy days.