Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Just got caught speeding :( Any advice

Just been caught doing 46 in a 30 zone, pretty gutted as its my 1st ticket! anyone know of any loop holes i could use? apart from slowing down :roll:

heard the police had to check their radars etc before use so i made him show me the log book saying it had been checked, then i asked where was the road signs indicating cameras can be used in the area and he said there didnt need to be any, it was a radar gun!! just made him more arrogant i think!! then he had the cheek to ask me if it was a scirocco!

Anyone got any dealing with all this? he did put my address down slightly wrong, put the street as 81 instead of ** barrack road?

If they send out an NIP (notice of intended prosecution) to you with any part of the address wrong, then they cannot prosecute you. Also if they were inside their vehicle at the time they took the reading or there wasn't another officer present then then cannot prosecute you.

Cheers and HTH

so if i dont show up in 7 days and let them come get me, what your saying is they technically cant? or cant if its sent to the wrong address as the post code is right just the street no. wrong so postwise it'll prob still get to me?

there were 2 ppl but one was busy clocking other drivers, got some one else in the 5 mins i was there, seem to be targetting younger drivers!

You can also ask if the camera has been calibrated that day, if it hasnt and they cant provide evidence that it has then its null and void that way too mate.

Yeah but they always calibrate the cameras every morning before they go out on duty. Your best hope is that they didn't log your address correctly. And actually, that may well be your fault too - if they can accuse you of giving incorrect details you'll be in more trouble.

Of course, the address they'll send the ticket to (you had a verbal NIP if they pulled you over in person by the way - they don't need to send you anything at all other than the fine), will be based on the DVLA records of your number plate, so that should be correct.

wrong address as the post code is right just the street no. wrong

Add more fuel to that fire fella!! :shock:

...best of luck, but it sounds like points to me - if it helps, the time i got 'done' i was doing 47 in a 30 and the officer commented that i'd only get 3pts, whereas if he'd left it a few seconds i'd have been at 50+ and it would be 'at least 6pts'.

horrocks will confirm that the incorrect details bit is not entirely a get out of jail card as it were.

when they nicked him for doing 132mph they put down the wrong date. He contested it in court....and they still done him

If they send out an NIP (notice of intended prosecution) to you with any part of the address wrong, then they cannot prosecute you. Also if they were inside their vehicle at the time they took the reading or there wasn't another officer present then then cannot prosecute you.

Cheers and HTH

Really?

They got my name wrong and still did me because of the number plate!

FWIW I don't think the police *need* to rely on a speed gun if it's the officer's expert opinion that you were exceeding the limit. The speed gun makes it a lot easier to secure a conviction, especially where it's a relatively small level of excess speed (34mph in a 30 zone, for example).

46 mph in a 30 zone would be be difficult to contest though.

just thought id try and see if there was anything i could do but looks like im guna have to just accept i got caught! just so sneeky the way they do it!

and jazzdevil, thats what he said to me as i had to brake hard to pull in and he said your lucky i got you when i did as you were going a bit faster after the reading, i shouldve said well these things do take off in 3rd gear!

makes me wonder if id have just carried on and not pulled in would they know who i was etc? there was no picture evidence or anything so it would have been my word against theres? anyway its done now, cheers for the info guys

Cheers and HTH

Applies in scotland Only.

you only need one cop in England and wales.

The second in Scotland acts as a witness.

cops dont like you getting out of the car as soon as they pull you; goto them and say sorry before they invite you into the back of the car.

Make sure its not an armed response car when doing this ;-)

I tend to say sorry but bottom line dont admit anything,they have to proove it and saying you were is not enough for court.

They tend to allow 10% before they stop anyone;33 in a 30 for eg

Chubbz

p.s dont say you didnt know how fast you were going as they charge with 'undue care and attention'(careless driving) then

Just say you were going between 0+ whatever you feel happy with,or say you know but you wont believe me if I told you!

One of the ACPO guidelines might be of use to you:

Once a reading appears on the screen, the radar device must be held steady pointing along the road for not less than 3 seconds. At 50mph you will travel 67 metres in 3 seconds. It also takes around 3 seconds to obtain the initial reading. Add in a stopping distance of 53 metres & that means over 180 metres of clear straight road - was there that much?

Another bit of advice is never hand over your license, even if you have it with you - doing so is taken as an admission of guilt, apparently.

just thought id try and see if there was anything i could do but looks like im guna have to just accept i got caught! just so sneeky the way they do it!

Yeah, those young kids who just run out into the road from behind parked cars and get killed before you even touch the brakes are just so sneaky...

Take it on the chin.

You won't learn if you wiggle out of it.

Everyone's a judge until it's them in the dock. We all speed sometimes, and I mean ALL, sometimes accidents happen as a result. Some just get away with it for longer.

I did mean that comment in a sarky way - but if you don't spot a police man in a car, chances are you won't spot a kid either. They're generally smaller and faster too.

There's more likely more kids on the streets than Bobbies too.

I've gathered 9 months in my life of driving so far, 3 still valid.

The last 3 I could have wriggled out of - the copper even told me how at the time as he was a sound fella, but I told him no, I will take it on the chin as its the only way to learn.

He respected me for that, and it certainly has had it's effect.

Yes, I can't possibly say I've never gone over the speed limit, but I have slowed down, and I do pay attention to 20s and 30s and I feel I'm much more vigilant on the road because of it.

I'm sure its no conincidence that I'm a lot calmer behind the wheel, and tend to have little stress (if not any) when travelling anywhere.

You'll live longer - try it ;)

It's probably all part of growing up - one of which is taking responsibility for your actions, and not always looking for the easy way out.

yeah i do agree, its not im trying to wriggle out of it, but obviously if there was a way then id rather that than the 3 points and £60 fine.

Im not condoning speeding or that i shouldnt be punished but what i meant by 'sneaky' was that i was clocked from 451 yards away at 23:00 and i could not see the police car at all as they had parked it in a way that the ever so slight curve of the road and the petrol station signs hid it completely.

The officer had to stand literally on the road, yards away from the car to catch people this far away, i saw them doing it as i was being booked, the road was clear with no parked cars and i know its no excuse but on a wide empty road sometimes you find yourself going faster than you think due to the misgiven perceptions of speed on such a road! i know its no excuse but thats what i meant by sneeky, its the way it was all set up, but yes id rather a ticket than hit a sneeky kid!

i never speed in an area like a school/highstreet but obviously you cannot predict when someone will walk into the road but like bcstudent says, we all speed at some point, thats why we have the cars we do, otherwise im sure if everyone travelled at 30, 50, 70 then a diesel would be great! looking on the bright side it couldve been worse! just one of those things that happen!

a lad in work with me recently got pulled for speeding and they offerered him to go on a one day driver awareness course at his expense and no points were put on his licence!!

hmm.. if you were caught by a completely handheld device then you should be able to argue.. due to the steadyness needed to hold the gun in place, most police are using tripod type things or using vans.check pepipoo for an answer and fill out there form for advice.

however, ive just been caught for 44 in a 30.. i took the points because i cant be dealing with hassle/risk of arguing in court to save £60..

I think if you are caught speeding then you should take the punishment that is given and not try to wriggle out of it.

(BTW, I'm not getting on any moral high ground here because I have points for speeding. I was doing 36 in a 30, I got caught, I got fined and points on my licence and I fully accept that I was in the wrong and I begrudgingly accept my points)

yeah pretty much the same opinion, i just thought having been my first time id see what the general advice from anyone that knows about this was, but as bristolbaron, says i cant be bothered with the hassle of wriggling out of anything, its not like im on 9 points already, and like ive said, looking on the bright side it could've been a lot worse so ill take this as a sign to take it easy!

thanks for the all the advice though, better to know about these things :)

If you had been going 50+ you would not have received a ticket. You would be summons'd to court and have to explain why you were doing that speed in a 30 mph zone.

No offence, but doing 46 mph in a 30 is pretty bad and you deserve the 3 points even though it was 11pm.

Its 30 for a reason. Have you seen the 'If you had been doing 30 mph, you would have stopped here' advert??

T.

T.