Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

G60 gearbox..

Gutted.... my new G60 seems to have a little gearchane problem!

It was fine on the two testdrives I had of the car, and only showed up afer a few days of driving.

I had been driving for about 10 mins, when I changed into 3rd from 4th, but it wouldnt go in gear(could feel synchro grate thru gear lever) or second either until I double clutched.

It only happens now and again, seems to be more on the leisurely changes, If I change quickly it seems to be ok. changin up through the gears it perfect, its just when changing down :(

Any idea's, can this be a common fault? I thought these gearboxes were supposed to be really tough!

Could it be the shift mechanism, or low oil level causing this?

Tomorrow I think I will check the oil, would it be worth trying Fully synthetic 'box oil to see if that improves things?

cheers for any help,

Yeah Redline MTL is superb, the best. Add some Slick 50 gear additive too and that will help matters. However, the oils won't cure underlying synchro problems, they just aid cold changing and reduce baulking at high rev changes, aswell as reducing whine and reducing friction.

I don't think there's much you can do with the linkage in terms of adjustment.

How does the clutch feel? A worn out one can cause shifting problems.

VW boxes are pretty tough overall, they've just always been plagued with weak synchro rings, as have other brands' boxes.

To check the oil level, you need a large allen headed socket or key, 13mm I think, and undo the forward facing bung when looking at the box from under the front of the car. If the oil drips out slowly, there's enough in it.

Kev

redline mt90 is better for g60 boxes...theres lots you can do to improve things...look at the gearstick and see if any bushes are worn,and check the cable ends at the g/box end....i found some slop that i removed by fitting a copper washer here and there

loosen both cables at the g/box...wiggle the shifter and carefully tighten them,it may take a few tries...have a search theres a few articles on the net about it

id imagine youve hit the gearstick a bit hard and lost its ajustment

To agree with steveo29 I am running MT90 - but adjusting the linkage with the proper VW tool made the biggest difference to my gearbox. If you speak nicely to you local VW service department they'll probably lend you the tool to do it yourself(I don't think its one they use often). The VW ref no. for the tool and the adjustment procedure is in the Bentley manual.

I checked the oil level - it was very low! seems to of been leaking from the casing gasket.

I topped it up to the correct level with some old SP80 I had(pain in the arse, not much room above the filler plug!)

It immediately seemed better, especially reverse, which had started to jolt the car when engaged. It no longer seems to crunch or struggle when downchanging to 3rd or 2nd.

However, it does still seem notchy, and 5th seems to grate a little bit. It's also very hard to get out of reverse sometimes(2 hands job) but If I stop the engine it comes out ok.

Last night I took it out for it's first proper drive, it crunched BADLY from 1st into 2nd (fast change at about 5-6krpm) Gutted.

Does it still sound like an adjustment problem, or am I facing a rebuild? Car's only done 83k, the 100-120k Corrado's I tested previously all seemed to have a great gearchange.

I guess a mix of two diferent oils isn't helping, so I plan to change it to Redline. Whats different about MT90 than MTL? where can you get it from, is it just C&R? Do I need just over a litre like the golf, or more?

What about Slick50 treatment, I used it with sucess in my GTI, is it right to use it in this gearbox?? anyone against Slick50?

Cheers for any help

I use Slick 50 and MTL in my VR6 box to great effect. I wouldn't use S50 in the engine but it's fine in the gearbox. The difference between MTL and MT90 is weight. MTL is 70W/80 and MT90 is 75W/90. Thicker in other words.

Redline do several gear oils, check their website for more details. http://www.Redlineoil.com

C&R are the only supplier I'm aware of that import it - 0115 978 5740

It's expensive stuff. 2 bottles of MTL, the slick 50 and carriage came to £70.

Redline oils are synthetic based on Polyol Ester, the only lubricant capable of withstanding the heat from Jet engines!

Kev

Thanks or the link, i'll check it out!

That is dear, must of gone up alot since I bought MTL at £12 a litre...!!

I looked through the other threads regarding gear change probs, so the main other causes seem to be leaky clutch hydraulics & knackered engine mounts, I will check both tomorrow...

Just had a look at their website, so much detail!

It all sounds good, wouldn't mind some of their Motor Oil, and the Water Wetter for the cooling system. 8)

redline mt90 is better for g60 boxes...theres lots you can do to improve things...look at the gearstick and see if any bushes are worn,and check the cable ends at the g/box end....i found some slop that i removed by fitting a copper washer here and there

loosen both cables at the g/box...wiggle the shifter and carefully tighten them,it may take a few tries...have a search theres a few articles on the net about it

id imagine youve hit the gearstick a bit hard and lost its ajustment

C&R enterprises say they don't sell MT90, and they use MTL inall VAG 'boxes.

Where did you buy your MT90 from, and why is it more suited to the G60 box?

thanks

Delta Oil Europe · Linconshire, ENGLAND · +44 (0) 1572 768311

Red Line Oils UK Distributor

I think I paid £12 per quart for MT90 which is what they listed for the Corrado g60 box. If I remeber correctly it's sold by the 'quart', and so I got 2 quarts which is actually slightly short of the metric capacity required, but they told me that if the level did show up a little low having put it in - just add a little EP80/90 to make it up.

They didn't even charge me carriage !!

HTH

Ta very much mate, I'll give them a call.

C&R charge about £12, but with £8.95 carridge?!?!?!?!

Hopefully the slick 50 treatment will make up the capacity, and I have about 1/2 litre of MTL left aswell.

ta

Delta Oil Europe · Linconshire, ENGLAND · +44 (0) 1572 768311

Red Line Oils UK Distributor

I think I paid £12 per quart for MT90 which is what they listed for the Corrado g60 box. If I remeber correctly it's sold by the 'quart', and so I got 2 quarts which is actually slightly short of the metric capacity required, but they told me that if the level did show up a little low having put it in - just add a little EP80/90 to make it up.

They didn't even charge me carriage !!

HTH

Eventually purchased some Redline MT90 frm the very friendly Delta Oil, who gave me a discount for 'being' a member of an owners Club!

I filled the box with it along with a slick 50 treatment, what an improvement! The gears engage perfectly now and the synchro engagement can no longer be felt through the gear lever.

I've not tried any hard and fast gearchanges yet because I need to replace a knackered front engine mount which may of contrubuted to the problem!

Cheers

I Forgot to mention, the old oil was like runny gravy and this is only an 80k mile car, I'd recommend everyone to change their oil even if just with cheaper mineral oil because its obviously not fit for the life of the car!

IIRC a new box will take 2 litres of gear oil... if you change the oil, you're looking at about 1.5 to just under 2 litres as there will always be some oil left in the box which won't drain out easily... 8)

I'll agree on that - the dude @ Delta is a very nice man. He's a very very very nice man... Hello MT90 :)

You will love MT90, there is no better oil :lol:

Agreed with the capacity, it will only take 1.5 litres..... just keep pouring it in until it starts overflowing and then stick the bung back in. You'll need a large allen key, 13mm I think, to get the screw off. Space might be tight down there so you may need to run a tube down to the filler hole from the top..... that's what I have to do on the VR!

You might even need to do two changes, depending on how fastidious you are as 1/2 a litre of old cack will be blended with the new MT90 :?

K

You might even need to do two changes, depending on how fastidious you are as 1/2 a litre of old cack will be blended with the new MT90

Is there a more effective way of flushing out the GB? Short of taking the bugger off, turning it upside down and shaking it for Britian... I guessed it would be a more or less impossible to empty it totally in situ, but there must be a method of getting a better empty. I'm having silly ideas involving compressors, huge ammounts of WD40 and a big grin. :twisted: :lol:

Just seems silly to drop 35 quids worth of MT90, and 15 quids worth of Slick 50 into a filthy case. Yay for the engineering bods at VW!

Cheers

randal

I think the hexagon key needed is 17 or 19mm, probably best to check before you buy one.

You could always drop the old oil and put some cheapish gearbox oil in, run it for a few miles then drain again and fill with MT90.... wish i'd done that now :?

I must admit my gearbox feels quite stiff with MT90 in when its quite cold..... but its ace when warmed up :)

Only strange thing I get is a slight synchro grate when down changing into third, after coming off the motorway when the car has just about warmed up. It only happens once, then i'ts fine for the rest of the journey???