Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Budget suspension recommendations?

Suspension on my new VR is a bit ropey, needs new rear shocks and a few assorted bushes. I'm thinking of upgrading to poly bushes, and may as well get a full suspension kit (It'd be rude not to!!!). I can't run to coilovers, so does anyone have any recommendations for a budget kit?

cheers guys,

Robbo

Robbo, it depends on the facilities you have. Doing bushes can a right B*****d of a job. Even with a ramp etc. I'd leave the bushes alone unless they are gone.

New front wishbone with bushes fitted is a sensible way of doing the front. The rear axle ones can be a bitch to get out. Gas bottles make short work of them and then you can hacksaw the sleeve out. Definately go for powerflex for replacements. They knock in dead easy with a bit of copperslip.

New standard shocks will be a revelation after originals with more than 60-70K on them. Just depends if you want to lower it. If you do buy quality gear. See the thread about weitec???

Gavin

yep i agree there is to much work changing the ruber bushes to poly items,take a look at venoms website about some budget suspension kits

Polyeurethane rear axle bushes on a VR - even Powerflex ones - lead to a significant increase in noise and vibration.

Stick to genuine parts - they last a long time...

Totally agree. The majority of cabin vibration comes from the rear end of an average Corrado. It's not worth making that end any stiffer..

My OE bushes were replaced after 110k miles, so it's not like you'll be doing then every other year..

It's not worth skimping on suspension components on a car that handles this well in it's basic form. (Ref my earlier comment about cheap petrol!)

If you're not lowering it, get OE suspension. The labour far outweighs the cost of the parts anyway.

:)

Thanks v. much for the replies guys, I guess I'll go for standard bushes, the 'rado seems a pretty firm ride as it is! I will probably want to lower it at some point... is it ok to do this with standard shocks or not recommended?

cheers,

Robbo

I've just bought springs from venom motorsport, they said it'll be ok to run em on standard shocks, although they do recommend replacing shocks... depends on the budget, I'm doing it for short term, then I'll get coilovers next year!!!

I've just gone for some Gmax suspension which I have used on previous mk2 golfs and i'm very happy with them, £220 DIY fitment. When buying them I was advised that coilover shocks are generally harder than sports kits, I like a firm ride but prefer not to hear the chassis creaking over every bump in the road. Also although they are adjustible, its only the recoil or rebound which is adjustible (can't remember which), not both. This is apparently what limits the adjustment as the other is a fixed rate.

Another interesting point about poly bushes and uprated suspension, although the grip can be increased, the difference between grip and slide becommes smaller and smaller, especially in the wet. The mechanic who fitted the rear bushes for me told me this, i listened but took no notice. A few months later I spun the golf in the wet and wrote it off on a few trees. Have tried to learn from this and prefer abit of warning, so i'd leave the bushes alone.

I've found Proven-products.co.uk are very helpful for any advice.

Another interesting point about poly bushes and uprated suspension, although the grip can be increased, the difference between grip and slide becommes smaller and smaller, especially in the wet. The mechanic who fitted the rear bushes for me told me this, i listened but took no notice. A few months later I spun the golf in the wet and wrote it off on a few trees. Have tried to learn from this and prefer abit of warning, so i'd leave the bushes alone.

That's all very true. Suspension tuning is a fine art! Go too mad with anti-roll bars and plastic bushings and you'll reduce tyre sidewall flex and therefore cornering grip in the wet :? The back end can just step out without warning, rather like the Peugoet 205 GTi!

High performance VWs have always been praised for their neutral handling and predictable behaviour on the limit, so I would avoid plastic bushes.

Kev

Fk have got a new adjustable height kit (not Koni based) for £399 at Venom, German quality. The supersport kit is the same price, which is also height adjustable.

Alot of the lowering kits seem to make the back end look "over lowered" in relation to the front. :D

Rik.

have used raceland products on a lot of golfs and they are superb for the money, just get the sports shocks and springs for £130 ish and enjoy, plus a 5 yr guarantee :p

WOW!!! Took Mike's advice... just had wishbone bushes & rear axle bushes replaced with standard ones from GSF, and new Boge rear shocks... the ride & handling are transformed! Gone are all the bumps & rattles and cornering is much more crisp now. Anyone with ropey suspension/bushes get them replaced... it's well worth it!!! Parts were all from GSF at under a hundred quid!

cheers,

Robbo

H&R springs are supposed to be the dogs danglies.

Anyone got these fitted with standard shocks reckon they're any good?

H&R springs are supposed to be the dogs danglies.

Anyone got these fitted with standard shocks reckon they're any good?

I've been using H&R springs on all my VWs, past & present and yes they are the mutts, imo.

The H&R springs are WAY too hard for the standard dampers to cope with. You're asking for trouble if you partner the two.

H&Rs need Koni top adjustables all round or an equally good adjustable damper. In my view, when contemplating a suspension upgrade. Look at the whole picture and not just the springs or dampers. You need both, period. And if you've got 80+k old bushes and top mounts, change them aswell.

Kev

Cheers, I want to get a set of 17" BBS RXIIs with the proceeds from my 16v golf so thats probably a sensible plan. Anyone need a golf?!