Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

G60 now starting fine but running problem! !! AAHHHH!

Hi All,

I am not very happy after doing what I thought was a sterling job on Friday night and Saturday morning to the C basically putting her all back together.

On Saturday mid-day I went over to the mainland southern meet, car was fine run well mpg was roughly rite, could smell a little bit of petrol but nothing major,

Then drove home fine again parked up and went out for night as you do!

Got up Sunday went to start the C doesn’t want to run had a quick check of the C,

All seems fairly normal alternator fine battery fine still sparking so then it randomly started when it had started as soon as noticed a massive smell of petrol,

Anyway looks like it was dripping from the fuel pressure regulator so I took this off and changed the seal nipped it back up and not good!

On priming fuel absolutely pissed it out with quite a bit of pressure same place! This was after changing the seal any ideas please as I’m pretty stuck now will investigate tonight to have a better look at the fuel rail.

Sorry for the long explanation can anyone please help

Thanks in advance Andy.

Hi Mate,

I had fuel pissing from the same place, it turned out to be the supply hose to the fuel rail had a hole in it caused by the cr*p hose clips that had been fitted, the excess was wound in on the inside of the clip not the outside (as with jubilee clips) so as you do them up they cut into the pipe! Worth a check I would say unless you have already changed them in which case just ignore me! P.s you C looked very nice on sat just wish I could have brought mine!

Did you replace the FPR's rubber o-ring when the injector rail was already dismanteled from the head?,i remember that it was a nightmare trying to replace the retaining hex bolts with the rail attached,probably pinched the o-ring.

Use some WD-40 to lubricate the rings before re-assembly.

cheers,Andrew.

no i just changed that last night! thats what made it worse see it was leaking slightly then i took it off and the seal was mashed so i changed it for the new seal i had nipped the bolts back up primed and it pis*ed out with quite a lot of pressure

have the hex bolts got washers on veedubbed!

and yes is hard to get the bolts back in and evenly!

Daz thanks for your reply how exactly do you fit the seal right? i just put it to where the old one was!

Hi Mate, Yea that was me in the golf on sat (never let me down yet unlike my C!) I spent quite a bit of time admiring the bling under your bonnet :) shame we didn't get a chance to have a chat but I was still hanging from the night before! Anyway back to business, I ended up replacing all my engine bay fuel pipe work as they where all split and perished (common fault on G60's with the original 15yr old rubber apparently) the worst one connects to the fuel rail right next to the FPR that bugger was pissing optimax all down the back of my engine and on to the exhaust manifold! :shocked!: not good! It sounds like you have a leak in this area so it might be worth a check?

Cheers

Dan

I would check all three of them tbh, but the one I had the issues with was the one that runs to the right of the fpr I think its the fuel feed line to the top of the lefthand end of the fuel rail.

hi all changed seal checked all fuel lines no leaks now!

but the C started the first time but now wont start again!

can someone please help!

could it be an air leak or it not sparking??

Cheers Andy

he says it is? think its a random intermittent fault,like nothing to do with what he has done and something else has gone wrong

hi darren yes everything starts like usual turn ignition pump then primes leave few secs turn over! then its not firing up?

alternator is turning its making all the right noises!

p.s it has started twice while giving it a bit with the throttle cable!

Hi Mate, Have you tried checking for an air leak yet? Also may be worth checking the condition of your plugs and leads? are you getting spark on all of them, are they covered in soot, or soaked in petrol? What about the injector's wiring harness? What sort of condition are your Dizzy cap and rotor arm in? May be worth checking these simple things first. Good luck with it!

Dan

hi dan thanks mate that is exactly what ive got on the cards for tonight!

where would a possible air leak be and also dont air leaks generally just make your car run dog rough! or can they totally disable car seems a bit strange to be an air leak as it worked all day sat as well!

Ive got a very similair, if not the same problem. Everything was fine. No leaks, plenty of spark, fully charged battery.

It turned out the timing was all over the place. Got that problem solved, but it still wont start. My engine temp gauge doesnt work, so when i get home tonight, i have a new sender waiting. If this doesnt solve my overfuelling problem, then i dont know whats gonna happen, and ill be paying attention to this thread!!!

Nick

i think my timing is ok nick as I havent changed my cam belt/timining belt!

and it was ok before when i get her running again my aim was to get her over to dazza for new middle section on exhaust i may ask him if he can check the problem them!

I have spoke to a few people now regarding the problem and have a few things to try tonight if i can fix it i will update later

Nick: where did you check for air leaks or do you mean petrol leaks bud?

i think battery is fine as alternator seems to be turning same amount as always! defo checking the spark tonight thou!

Cheers all Andy

I meant petrol leak. I had it wee weeing out, and replaced the FPR seal, like yourself, and that solved it.

Update us/me tomorrow will you dude, and let us know what did and didnt solve anything!!

Nick