Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

G60 now starting fine but running problem! !! AAHHHH!

hi all update tonight!

got home started fiddling checked spark fine check dizzy and leads all very clean but i still cleaned anyway!

checked all boost pipes for leak all fine undone and re done most of them back up she then doesnt start then starts took for drive to get rid of excess petrol she seems to be getting the accelarator pedal sticking too!

so then got back started her again fine, went in left 1 hr go out not starting now started it once in 5 attepts put my hand on isv and that was like vibrating not massively at all can just feel it to touch! is this normal

getting really stuck now lads! idle is ok when she starts! throttle body seems to be sticking slightly but i may be able to put that down to the pedal????????????

just really stuck lads any help would be great thanks Andy

Ignition switch? Just a guess but had to mine last month as it was getting harder and harder to start, after the change it starts first time every time (before my crank bolt worked loose and ruined the crank pulley and shaft of course!) :(

Dan

do you mean like the actual barrel dan?

also to all: can someone please tell me if when i was taking engine apart i broke something that i have just taped up at the moment it is the the wiring that sits on the one of the two struts between the cam cover and inlet mani!

cheers andy

do you mean like the actual barrel

Nope, behind that is where the ignition switch is located, held into the barrel with one tiny screw. A bit difficult to get to. Changed mine this summer after mine had fits of not wanting to start at all (me initally suspecting the immobiliser, until Supercharged hot-wired the thing, and voila, it wasn't the immobiliser rather than the switch).

wiring that sits on the one of the two struts between the cam cover and inlet mani

Sure it's not a ground wire? Other than that, the only wires I have on my G60 on the strut towers are the ABS sensor cables. They wouldn't cause starting probs.

Tempest

wiring that sits on the one of the two struts between the cam cover and inlet mani

Not sure what wire's you mean any chance of posting up a pic? But as long as you have made a good soldered and heatshrink repair to the wiring I cant see it being a problem, however if you have just twised the broken ends together and taped it up this might be your problem?

And as Tempest said the iginition switch is a very common fault for starting issues and can be a right bastard to get to the screw! But once its off the switch will just fall out I found the bset way was to look at the new ignition switch and hold it next to the one in the car so you get an idea exactly where the screw is.

Any prob's give us a shout.

Cheers

Dan

Hi all sorry no updates had a really busy weekend basically she is no better!

still stupidly intermittient will work 3 times then not 3 times here's what ive done so far:

took off ht leads, checked dizzy & leads checked spark, checked all fuel lines and new seal on f.p.r, alternator starts fine alarm is ok, blue temp sensor is working fine too! isv is doing what it should, plus ive changed throttle cable over feels 100% better now so what is it??????????

so where is it going wrong what am i doing wrong!

can someone help please Andy

Hi Mate,

Can you give us a quick update on exactly what its doing at the moment, you said it starts 3 times then doesnt satrt 3 times, does that mean it starts ok when its cold? But not when its up to temp? Does the engine struggle to start or does it fire up on the first turn of the key? When it wont start does it missfire or struggle to turn over?

Dan

when it starts dan starts first time of key when running it doesnt miss a beat never has! doesnt miss fireand defo doesnt struggle only struggled when i took the blue temp sensor off yesterday then foinr when put back on!

doesnt seem to matter wether hot or cold its just intermitiant allthough it has been alot more cold starts to semi - hot starts as i havnt taken her on a proper run since the southern meet! only quick round the block to get rid of some excess petrol!

does she smell of fuel from the exaust when she does start?

what about fuel pressure?

Sorry to ask but what did u take apart/rebuild and put back togeather?

also to all: can someone please tell me if when i was taking engine apart i broke something that i have just taped up at the moment it is the the wiring that sits on the one of the two struts between the cam cover and inlet mani!

thats the overrun fan i think.

Yes it is bill

Quick update all:

Just went out started her all fine took her round the block 15mins of driving she seemed a bit hesitant on light throttle under 2000rpm so then got back stopped then started her fine left it ten mins now she wont start then she did start now she wont

This is so fecken annoying its unbelievable I just wanna drive her

Fuel pump is priming everytime if this helps

id check the coil if is it intermitent then it might just working when you checked it lob another on see if it has any effect ady must have one?

HI all me and aide been looking at car this morning we think its definately the ignition switch as dan and a few others were saying as everything in the engine bay has been checked!

we the took carpet out of boot undid the black metal circle to get to fuel pump wiring and fuel pump

fuel pump is fine so we then checked the fuel pump wiring loom and took out the no.80 relay swapped with aide's no differece so then checked the ignition while aide had multimeter at back on fuel pump and it seems to be taking 12 volts onto position 2 on the key when primed then when on crank when she starts she reads 12 and when she doesnt she reads minus can anyone confirm this is the switch!

Thanks Andy

when she doesnt she reads minus

Minus how much? It's probably just the multimeter fluctuating a bit? Sounds more and more like the ignition switch, though.

Fit a new one in any case, they're only 18 quid or so from VW.

Tempest