Sign in to follow this  
mistrall

rad has gone - fixed

my rad has gone - what can i doo lol - can i get an old one from a golf one? what sortof price are they new / secondhand lol - thanks x

my rad has gone - what can i doo lol - can i get an old one from a golf one? what sortof price are they new / secondhand lol - thanks x

the 16v one is specific to 16v cars, it's the same size as a mk2 golf 1.6/1.8 carb engine but not the same core inside. The golf carb one is only about 50 quid from GSF etc. and will fit fine and will probably be OK although it's cooling ability will not be as good, the correct new rad is over 100 quid from VAG.

If you really want a bodge for a short time then a second hand golf 2 1.6 rad will do temporarily, but an old rad won't cool as well as a new one.

Yeah - new rad and cooling system flush / change is a fairly easy job on the 2.0 16v. I even think its something i'd dare to do! I've gone so far as taking all the cowling off and draining the coolant (admittedly with lots of help from Tempest) but it didn't seem like rocket science.

much over 100 quid do you think? (new)

also - do you thikn that i can fit it my selph

Depending on dealer and discount I think Blue95 bought one recently for 115 quid? I think Euro car parts (possibly another factor) had some as well but they were the same price as VAG.

It's not too difficult, VAG spring hose clips are a pain but actually cause less damage to hoses so I'd keep them.

just drain the coolant from the bottom rad hose, un-clip the fan connector and temp sender, then remove the fan and shroud first, 4 * 10mm bolts/screws and the lower ones can be fiddly to reach.

Once this is out there is much more room to get at the rad itself.

Fairly easy job really.

Re-filling can be difficult to get air locks out, I leave the top hose clip off until the top hose is full of coolant (squeeze it to let air out), and then run for a few minutes, let it cool and top up, sometimes it takes a few journeys to get all of the air out, just top up, as long as you get 5L of coolant in you know it's not far off, I think the total capacity is about 6.5 Litres.

David.

I work for the unipart groups and rad's for the 2.0 16v show the same part no as golf 1.8 16v and corrado 1.8 16v - here's a pic

I can get these for £85 and carriage for about £10

vw2091.gif

I replaced my Radiator for the valver a couple of months ago - £45 from ECP. Exactly the same size as the one that came off.

Long term, there are some good aftermarket aluminium rads on eBay. A friend bought one for his 306 Rallye and it dropped his temps by a good 10 degrees. In the interim, anything that will fit will do you, as long as it cools your water!

Cheers,

Tom

thanks lads , managed to get hold of a mate whose brother works for vw - hes going to get it trade for me :) , thanks for all the help - wish me luck.

Hi Mate,

glad you got a geniune vw item, there is a big difference, gsf and ecp ones do only have half the cooloing tubes, there is pratcally no weight to them as well.

Like Dave said the non vw one will do the job, but it will not have the same amount of redundancy. My temp normally struggles to get over 100c and only gets to about 108 to 110 when stuck in traffic in summer.

also worth checking hoses as they go brittle, i replaced both main rad ones, the one to the resvior and the one from the pump to the oil cooler/heater.

also forgot to mention use only g12+ I mixed this with deionsed water I bought from halfords for a few quid.

Also once rad is in, before connecting the top hose, fill the sytem from the top hose, the top up from resvior, make sure you get a good few litres in there before running.

right , its getting silly now , i ring them up and they have no news and no idea when it might be in , do i / can i get my money back from caffins? mr h8rra are you still able to get one? as i am verry anoyed at caffins lol :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thats p**s poor, I had mine next day from VW Wayside in MK.

Suppose you could try ebay, there are some rads on there that seem to have the right amount of cooling tubes.

I'd pester and bitch at VW - they're not Corrado-specific or even rare parts and they should have them in stock...

Could try calling another dealer to see if they can get hold of them and if they can - go back to your dealer and tell 'em they're a bunch of lying bandits and to get you the rad next day :D

I work for the unipart groups and rad's for the 2.0 16v show the same part no as golf 1.8 16v and corrado 1.8 16v - here's a pic

I can get these for £85 and carriage for about £10

vw2091.gif

so what's happened to their web site then?, can't find anything other than general company info now, all the on-line product info has gone???

is it newish?

Is there an ECP nr you, I'd go and check out the more expensive rad they list as only for the 16v, not the 50 quid one.

I reckon it's not far off the VAG one quality and performance wise.

is it newish?

Well the fan gives quite a lot of resistance, as in it'd chop my hand off if i put it in there.

It would be a cheap option for you to buy mine, but potentially a risk.

If i was in your shoes, id' buy a new one mate if it was under £100.

right , went to cafins got the money back and ordered one from ecp (stocked) saved 60 quid too , lets just hope it comes soon lol *fingers crossed*

thans again lads

after getting an email saying the transaction didnt go through due to caffins!!!!! putting the money back on the card a week late!!!!!!!

i have managed to secure the only one ecp had left via phone causing me to have to pay postage of 11 quid , caffins have managed to cost me 5 weeks of pain , and to top it all off ive put on halph a stone due to not having a car lol * thats my rant about caffins of portslade* should arive today lol

woohooo!!!!! arived the safternoon , got her in befor dark :)

need a little advice , what does the twisty plug that screws into the rad do - i tryed to unscrew the actual plug rather than the big bolt and it just goes round and round now , could i have broken it? also how much cooler should the botom pipe be than the top? , top was quite warm but the botem took a while to get luke warm , thanks guys , hoping to take her for a run tonight to se if she cools well after any replys , and to get some anti freeze.

:?

'twisty plug' err... can you describe it a bit more or get a pic? I hope you don't mean the fan switch :shock:

its at the botom left on the fan side of the radiator , it screws in to the actual rad - no pi is dark sry

anyone?