Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Gearbox oil

Have had a bit of a search but still feeling a bit in the dark.

Want to change the gearbox oil in my 95 VR.

What grade of oil do i need?

Recommendations for a quality make?

How much do i need and how much is it gonna set me back?

Cheers.

Have had a bit of a search but still feeling a bit in the dark.

Want to change the gearbox oil in my 95 VR.

What grade of oil do i need?

Recommendations for a quality make?

How much do i need and how much is it gonna set me back?

Cheers.

There's a lot of opinions out there on which gear oil is best, I had good results with the fully synthetic oil that you can order from VAG franchises and also with Comma semi synthetic, although VAG's is approaching 20 quid a litre and you need two litres.

Redline (MTL?) do a range of synthetic oils that are reported to be OK in the O2A Corrado boxes and work out a bit cheaper, but come by the US measurement of Quarts which works out at just under the 2 litres you need, seems to be enough though as a bit of oil stays in the box anyway when you drain it.

VW oil specs change all the time and it may be difficult to get a dealer to identify the right synthetic you need for the Corrado box, but I'd go for fully synthetic if possible as it makes cold changes better.

proper spec is SAE 75W90 Synthetic (VW spec G50 - for 4cyl corrado and G51 for VR6)

Redline (MTL?) do a range of synthetic oils that are reported to be OK in the O2A Corrado boxes and work out a bit cheaper, but come by the US measurement of Quarts which works out at just under the 2 litres you need, seems to be enough though as a bit of oil stays in the box anyway when you drain it.

2 quarts of Redline is spot on. The gearbox will only take 1.7 litres when refilling. They only take 1.9 litres dry.

Castrol SMX-S is pretty damn good too- cheaper than MT90, and you can get it from larger Halfords.

I put the redline MTL MT90 in the gear box and it made some differnce...although a little pricey the difference in the gearbox is worth it!!!!I purchased two new plugs to replace the old ones however stealers gave me the wrong ones...Phoned them up and said the correct ones were discontinued...couldn't be arsed taking them back

Good tip is to stick a heavy duty magnetic on the low plug, run the car for half an hour to pick up any metal deposits within the gear box before renewing....I picked up a few when I changed mine...

Think i will just be going for Redline. Having a look round to see where to get it from at the mo.

Good call with the magnet stevie_f_2004, ill give it a shot.

Not sure you'd pick up anything in a gearbox. Th synchro cones are the only parts that wear appreciably and they're sintered bronze or brass usually. And being as copper/tin aren't magnetic.....

Unless the synchros have a high content of cobalt, iron or nickel..... the crumbs won't be attracted to a magnet.

Either way, I'd be worried if a magnet came out of a box or engine with a beard of metal crumbs on it!!!

...Either way, I'd be worried if a magnet came out of a box or engine with a beard of metal crumbs on it!!!

I'd be worried if a magnet fell off the sump plug and rattled around in my gearbox :) doesn't sound like a particularly good DIY mod then?

I'd be worried if a magnet fell off the sump plug and rattled around in my gearbox Smile doesn't sound like a particularly good DIY mod then?

Vauxhall make the actual plug magnetic....

... but then again the engine is made by vauxhall

Well spotted "Crasher" with the ETOS.....there seems to be method in my madness afterall------well at least the VW design engineers think so :lol:

Not sure you'd pick up anything in a gearbox. Th synchro cones are the only parts that wear appreciably and they're sintered bronze or brass usually. And being as copper/tin aren't magnetic.....

Unless the synchros have a high content of cobalt, iron or nickel..... the crumbs won't be attracted to a magnet.

Either way, I'd be worried if a magnet came out of a box or engine with a beard of metal crumbs on it!!!

Any problems using Castrol Syntax 75W 90, using in in BMW's have it here in work will save me buying if I can use it and wiuld it be any good?

Its going into a 92 G60

Any problems using Castrol Syntax 75W 90, using in in BMW's have it here in work will save me buying if I can use it and wiuld it be any good?

Its going into a 92 G60

try it, will probably be fine, I've ordered both the mineral and synthetic stuff from VAG and will try both, I had good results with the previous spec VAG stuff a few years back in the 02A gearbox.

Changed mine just last night, 2 minute job, used Castrol SMX-5

Big difference, especially when engaging reverse or 1st gear, straight in now, no problems.

Highly recommend doing it if you have any of the above problems :lol: