Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Help me decide....

The more I think the more indecisive I'm getting, lets hear your opinions on what you think I should buy

Will be a daily driver, probably about 15,000 miles a year, going to use the Bora more often from now on, insurance is not an issue on any of them (already checked it out), fuel economy is not a massive factor (25p per mile work allowancesees to that), do want something reasonably fun, pretty comfortable, not too bothered about refinement, I'm a saddo who doesn't mind mechanical noise. So, on to the options:

1. Golf GTi 8v Colour Concept - FSH, 71k miles, very well looked after and available at £2.2k, yellow, which I like. Plus is economy and low running costs, minus is that its boring

2. Corrado VR6 - 134k miles, no chains done, black with cloth interior full VWSH to 100k then home maintained. Totally standard and same owner for last 8 years - can be had for just less than 3k. Plus is that its a VR and looks like good value, minus is the small matter of chains and possible running costs

3. Scirocco G60 - seems pretty close to being a new car, built by JMR so I know its been converted properly, have my cars maintained by JMR so continuity is OK - for sale at £3.2k. Plus is that its mint and bound to be a lot of fun, minus is that its not going to be as refined as the others

4. Passat G60 Syncro - looks immaculate, for sale at £3k. Plus is that its rare and its a G60, minus is its age and possible running costs

Im gonna back the passat here.

Ive seen the one your talking about and it is very tidy.

Reckon youve got the best of both worlds with it, fun and when you need back seats and a decemt size boot its available which it isnt in a Corrado/Scirroco.

The fact that the Passat is rare is an extra bonus.

Well, there's only really 3 on the list as far as I see....

I think I've seen all the adverts for them too. The corrado VR6, you know what you're looking at.... You've had corrados already.

The Scirroco sounds like a lot of fun... lightweight, quick probably not a million miles from the corrado.... I know it'll be quicker etc, but it won't be as good as the corrado for daily driving.

The passat is great... You know my views on it already.... But it is very different to the other 2. Go for it anyway.....

Why don't you pop down and look at the Passat one weekend (assuming its ok with the seller), nice little break for yourself and the Mrs?

Any of them would be great for daily drivers apart from that Scirocco.. that really is more of a track / race car.. just wouldn't wanna drive that every day so personally i'd drop that from the list altogether. Great looking car, really, but definately shouldn't be in a shortlist of daily drivers.

I think the VR would be great but as you say potential of a few bills there.. think the G60 would be fun, but then being a synchro and G60 and LHD its a bit of an oddity over here.. so only worth considering if you can get it fixed ok?

The Golf would be the best with regards economy and reliability..

Just depends what you want out of it all really :)

Not sure about the boot on the rocco being small!

For me it would have to be the 'rocco.

Lightweight, quick - probably outrun the VR without too much effort and would certainly be a worthy challenger against the syncro'd passat.

Ok so there are some compromises with daily use but it is running a C cable change box and that coupled with the bulkhead swap will make it quieter at speed than anything but the VR. (Thw wind noise on my MK.II is really noticeable when switching from the 'rocco let alone the C!

Not so sure about the 4 points harnesses but that is not a big job and you could adjust the ride quality with a bit of tweaking. As for rarity the 'rocco is the rarest of the lot and the steering wheel is on the correct side.

Can't understand the fuss about the Passat, you can get a UK RHD VR6 version for a third of the price its good but not that good.

has to be 3 or 4.

maybe 3 has the edge, if i were choosing.

like you say,you'd get bored of the 8v within a couple of weeks, vr-dont no, maybe askin for trouble?? rocco-how cool to wake up in the morn an jump in that to go to work in 8) same with syncro-your'll be praying to get a red light just to leave someone red faced on the green :)

yeah, id go 3.

just my 2pence worth

edit# ive only driven the vr out of the above,so my opionion prob dont mean much :oops:

Golf 8v - I think this is probably just a fad. I think they are really quirky, but god, you'd be bored within a week. Although you'd return the best mpg.

Corrado VR6 - Sounds good. Do not be put off by the economy, my corrado 2.0 16v was worse economy than my corrado vr, they really aint that bad (until you put your foot down...but that noise.....) Also, unless it rattles like mad chains will unlikely need doing, think its just peoples paranoia.

Scirroco G60 - Different, nice looking motor and will suprise everyone. But is the most expensive of the bunch, so is it worth the extra cash??? Only YOU will know.

Passat G60 Syncro - Nice motor, 4wd, rare and very practical...yet sporty. Will you be flooring it everywhere because its a 4wd estate and you know you can???

Decisions decisions.........personally i think i would go with the corrado, but i would love to have a go in the scirocco and passat. It all comes down to what marque you wish to be driving...

Probably hasnt helped at all, but then this is a real tough one....

Good Luck.

Ohhh, well, if I didn't have my Mk1 Rocco as a toycar yet, then I'd seriously consider Lance's (from Trimsport) Mk1 G60, very nice car, have seen it several times at shows this year, and of course enormous fun to drive.

BUT: A Mk1 Rocco for me would just be too valuable for the daily drive, I wouldn't want to put that many miles on a Mk1, especially not as their value is bound to go up and up over the next few years. Plus for the daily drive i'd honestly want something more boring, erm, comfortable. Mk1s are pure fun cars for me, fun on the weekends, emptier roads than on weekdays, and you'll love a Mk1 Rocco, also gets more looks on weekends compared to weekdays, when all the stressed out suits are clogging up the roads (yes, I hate them :lol:).

That narrows it down to the other 3.

Personally I'd take the Goof, as it sounds the most reliable of the 3, even though my heart would go for the VR6 Rado. Comfort-wise I'd expect them to be almost equal, and it's comfort that I'd be after for the daily bash.

Tempest

the rocco all the way for me different and beautiful plus meticulously maintained but roo's passat is very nice the golf 8v will bore after an hour of driving its the slowest gti golf made iirc!

dont need to cooment on the vr :pukeright: only jokin to all vr owners!

My opinion means squat, having never driven any of the above. I'd love to drive a vr6, but I think I'd have to go for a supercharged one first, just to confirm my love of these cars.

Anyway, gut instinct, on a Saturday night after a couple of beers says - Scirroco! I always look at these cars, and I would imagine it would be tremendous fun. People say for the daily drive should be reliable, economical, practical....snore snore snore.

If you're gonna be in it every day, you should love it every minute of that day. My car costs a bloody fortune to commute in, but I do it because I love the drive, it makes getting to work an absolute hoot, so go for whatever puts the biggest smile on the seat of your pants!

Corrado VR6 - no brainer. Feck economy, feck practicality and feck the rest of it. It's the only VW worth owning out of that list....imo.

i recently bought a corrado VR 130,000, no chains done, sounds really quiet and runs smoothly still, i decided not to pay attention to all the worries, i manage 30mpg pretty much all the time