Sign in to follow this  
Bups

Best Oil for a VR6

The car has done nearly 145,000miles now but still drives spot on, was wondering what is the best oil to use on a car with this mileage?

I run Motul 300v 10w40, which is also a top notch oil, and pricey at around £60 - £70 quid to fill the VR up with 2 litre bottles.

So as NickVR6 said " depends on budget. :)

Thanks for the reply guys, but after you switched to either of the above mentioned oils, do any of your VR's still use oil at all??

I was synta silver which is the same viscosity as the Motul I'm using, so didn't see a difference really. It did lose oil, not drastically, but could have been it was in need of a head rebuild.

matt_corradovr6, i've always used mobil 1 in my other cars but the general consensus was that fully synth in an older engine is not a good idea as it could cause leaks or burn off easier and maybe not offer the protection a thicker oil would

I was synta silver which is the same viscosity as the Motul I'm using, so didn't see a difference really. It did lose oil, not drastically, but could have been it was in need of a head rebuild.

How much oil would you think it would use roughly??

but sureley you can get thicker fully synth??? 10w 40? won't fully synth resist the heat better???

Yep! The Silkolene Pro s is fully synth 10w50. Search for "oil man" he's got some good posts on here explaining the benifts of a good synth oil.

like i said before ive used the Silkolene Pro 10w/50 for nearly a year now, only about 5K all year as its only a weekend car these days, but i reackon i've only actually used half as much oil (between services) as i did when i used the VW stuff, engines on 102K but it really seems to agree with it, seems to have lost some of the noise i had before from the valves, engine seems quieter under hard acceleration as well.

I was warned off the fully synthetic VW stuff (think it's called synta Gold) by severall VW mechanics as they said the oil's too thin (5w) for older engines that have gone over 100k. To be fair they suggested the 10w/40 synta silver which is very good, but i opted for the Silkolene as it gives very good protection at high temps.

5-40 is too thin for vrs of any age really synta silver is good stuff but i dont see why a fully synthetic 10-40/50 wouldnt be even better

I used synta silver in my G60.

I think I will use Pro S now though in the VR. I used it in my 200sx and it was great stuff.

But I dont think you can wrong with either. Just depends on how flush you are!

like i said before ive used the Silkolene Pro 10w/50 for nearly a year now, only about 5K all year as its only a weekend car these days, but i reackon i've only actually used half as much oil (between services) as i did when i used the VW stuff,

Good man. That is precisely what I've been harping on about with the Silky for so long :lol: It's brilliant stuff. VW's quantum is not in the same league at all, especially not in engines in their 'advancing years' :)

People think VW oil is the best because it err, comes from VW. Wrong. VW don't actually make it and numerous other oils also meet, or exceed VW501.5J, or whatever, standard. It's a good oil though, no question.....just not as good as Silky 8)

Simple fact of the matter where my 140K engine is concerned - Quantum, slight smoke on over-run. Silky, zero smoke.

hm iv started to bit a little bit of smoke on overrun and using a bit odf oil what exactly is the silky stuff called and where can i get it?

Eatthis it's the 'FUCHS Silkolene PRO S 10W-50' your after, when i went hunting around for my source (after taking some of Kev's advice) i found a supplier in Herts called 'RPM Motorsport' (other side of the water from me who sells on E-Bay), not cheap but well worth it, try this link (click on the performance oils section),

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RPM-Motorsport

i just drove over & picked mine up but he'll courier it to you, or alternatively think Opie Oils will happily flog you the stuff!