Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

VR6 Cooling questions (Major Breakthrough - Last Page )

Right, glad to report progress at last....

Fitted the lower temperature thermostat today. Before fitting me and DanVW put both the thermostats in a sink of boiling water and as predicted the old one hardly moved whereas the new one opened up quicker and further.

Having test driven the car with the new stat in it runs loads cooler and responds to air flow when travelling much better than before....

Fans wise the problem isnt sorted. When bridging the pins on the connection to the thermoswitch i am getting the run on water pump but not the fan... All wiring seems ok, Dan has mentioned a Relay which runs the fan when shut down, does anyone know anything about it??

Is there any way i can test the actual fan itself, it does run at 110 degrees so is working but not on the other speeds.

A huge thankyou to DanVW for helping me get this step towards getting sorted...

Mate, pop over to mine sometime and we'll go and see my mechanic fella if you want? He's ten minutes from me and I'm sure he'll get it sorted for the price of any new parts and a few beers :)

Im heading home this week so hope to get it all sorted while im there...

Should i not succeed though Will ill take you up on that offer..

Goldie, glad you're getting somewhere with this :)

Which stat did you put in? I need to do mine soon and I don't trust VW ones after reading this!

Hey Goldie

Glad the new stat is doing the biz :-) take it there is no leakage from the system?

Nikki + Peanut where kind enough to give me a late VR fan contol relay for you to try if you want to swing by and pick it up? Am in all day just give us a text :-)

g12+ is the latest version of VW's branded antifreeze, and is a replacement for g11 and g12.

Personally I think that it's a load of rubbish. Antifreeze is antifreeze is antifreeze. I put some generic antifreeze in mine and it's been fine.

I used to agree with that, I was using some of Halfraud's finest - conforms to all the standards you care to wish, but since doing a full flush to get all the halfords coolant out (i've carried out a few flushes before) and topping up with G12+ the car runs MUCH cooler. I'll never use anything else again.

No prob's. trudubrstu

Two bottles of G12+ from GSF cost less than the coolant I bought from Halfords (admittedly less in quantity)- which was their best stuff and it really is better. I would imagine that VW have a larger R&D budget than Halfords!! lol.

Good news then mate !! You would never expect a brand new genuine part to be faulty ! As a matter of interest ive got your old thermostat etc here so when you come up next week fetch the one you have just changed so we can look at it against the original one.

What temp is at on the motorway now then?

Jimmi...........

Faulty stats from VW seem to be the norm these days unfortunatly :-( I have been through three

and ended up putting the old one back in after seeing 122 oil temps! :shock:

Good news then mate !! You would never expect a brand new genuine part to be faulty ! As a matter of interest ive got your old thermostat etc here so when you come up next week fetch the one you have just changed so we can look at it against the original one.

What temp is at on the motorway now then?

It runs between 80 and 90 now depending on how hard it is pushed...

Ill bring the stat home.. Just the fans to sort now Jimmi, ill be home on Wednesday so ill give you a shout at some point and have a pop down..

Follwing on this cooling lark....I've had a problem with mine in the short time of ownership and not been around much to get anything done with it.

First thing I done was change the expansion tank cap which had been butchered a bit for a blue one but not from VW as they never had any so it came from Halfords.....

Anyway I took the car for a run the other night, just to get the wheels moving as been lying about and as usual when came back seen signs of leakage....but was late and freezing so just left it.

Popped the bonnet there and just had look in the expansion tank as level was way down further than usual and noticed a spring and few bits and bobs floating around in there!

The blue halfords cap has been destroyed!

Any tips on what to do/not to do, I have managed to get a spring out and a washer but there must be bits of plastic kicking about in there!

Do I try pulling the hose underneath the tank and flush it out...had a look at it and the way the clip has been positioned isnt going to make it idea to get off............or any other solutions.

Why would the car blow the cap to bits and is therea chance the system has bits of plastic running about in it or that not possible from the expansion tank?

As you've guessed I know zip about the mechanics of cars just how to drive them so dont get too technical ;)

Id be tempted to carry out a full flush of the system and defintely would recomment a genuine cap..

I wouldnt know the best way of draining the system down to try and get all possible traces of plastic out though, im sure someone around here will though.. The plastic could have been there for any length of time..

Good luck...

Seems there are a lot of cooling problems about, keep them coming, eventually every single fault will end up in this thread to help those in the future who get the same probs...

I did try and get one from VW at the time but they never had one and Halfords did but didnt realise they were that crap.

Just about to order a few bits and bobs...including new cap from VW, also looking at a thermostat as getting housing done...however few worrying posts on the fourm regards to the VW stat.

Is it best avoided for sure and just go with one of the dubpower/awsome Gti ones, would that be the best option

I would say that if VW stats are causing people problems, you shouldn't just avoid buying them, you should take them back until they supply one that works... That's the only way they'll get the message that supplying crap parts is not a good business model!

A very good point but after drooping my coolent for the third time in a week to get another cr4p VW stat out

I gave up and am not going to waste any more time with it!! :mad:

After market stats all the way from here on in!

Is there any way that you can by-pass speed 1 and just use speeds 2 and 3 at 88 and 105C, i get the thermostat wired so that it opens th efans that these speeds only? I will be replacing my fans set up with an 11" Spal fan which will prob be a whole lot quieter than the standard setup, plus will shift more air. I think Haywire meantioned a way of having a manual switch for speed 3 on the dash, but i would prefer to rig the thermostat to do it for me.

I just had all my coolant pipes replaced by OEM VW ones (going for an OEM engine bay look) and it dropped my temps by approx 6 - 10 degrees, I got charged £280 for all main pipes (not breathers) a new plastic water pump housing and fitting (including topping up with VW coolant) which I though was pretty good vfm (now I just got to sell my red Samco's when they finally arrive) Now after a good hour "ragging" session the temps are between 88 and 92 compared to 98 or so before

I hope you at least gave them a bollocking to remember..

Oh yes! :2gunfire:

Felt a bit bad for venting on the poor parts monkey but enough is enough!

Its way beyond a joke now as the VR stats are bigger than the G60 ones

but it would appear they are just as 5h1t! :-(

Just a quick cooling update, my fan and Toad's have both died on the first speed so tonight I'm going to short both fan senders from the thermotime switch so that the fan will kick in on speed two at 94 degrees :-) this should cure the last of my over heating problems as its now fine when moving but still gets too hot in traffic because the fan wont come on till the 2nd speed :-(

Bloody thing it worked on both speeds uptill I changed the thermotime switch, came on at the first speed once then decided it didnt like it and now only works on speed two :mad:

Will let everyone know how I get on!