Sign in to follow this  
herisites

DEL VR6's Corrado (56k get broadband!)

Rob, Mine will need doing end of March time too!

I've just got to get the corners of the bumpers done where it's been "nudged" first!

Oh and now have proper running water, and a garage to do it on too!

Rob, Mine will need doing end of March time too!

I've just got to get the corners of the bumpers done where it's been "nudged" first!

Oh and now have proper running water, and a garage to do it on too!

No worries Jon mate, again let me know when you want me :)

Well they say you cant polish a turd but i proved that wrong on Friday by polishing my mates Rover ... sorry i mean MG ZS :lol: Nah i cant be mean he's a good mate, just likes his bloody rovers for some reason :nuts:

Its a ZS 180 which is the 2.5 V6 24v so goes alright, not a match for a VR though :wink:

He bought the car a few weeks ago and come over to show me it, he mentioned that he thought the paint looked a bit tired considering its only a few years old and done just over 20k miles. When he brought it over i put the halogen on it and sure enogh, swirled to buggery and they were classic car wash swirls which is understandable as the previous owner was a woman :roll: So we booked it in for the works! The pics are a bit crap quality from making them so much smaller but still look ok.

Here is the car when he arrived:

before.jpg

And the damage in the sunlight (not brilliant):

swirls-sun.jpg

So first we washed it the usual way, pre-soaked with Snow Foam through the foam lance whilst wheels cleaned, then pressure rinsed then washed with 2 buckets using Megs Hyper Wash and lambs wool mitts, although to be fair it wouldnt matter if i used 1 bucket, a sponge and some fairy liquid as it was getting polished anyway :lol:

After washing i then clayed it all over using Sonus Green clay, it was generally pretty clean except for the obvious lower half of doors, front/rear bumpers and tailgate etc. Once clayed it was washed again and finally dried.

Then we moved it into the garage and put the halogen light on to it to see the real damage which was horrifice even though the pics dont really show it so much:

swirls-bonnet.jpg

swirls-rearqtr.jpg

swirls-rearqtr2.jpg

holograms.jpg

I started polishing on a test patch on the bonnet to test the hardness of the paint and as expected it was soft so just a fininshing polish on a polishing pad on the rotary did the trick to remove about 90% maybe tad more of the swirls. Some afters:

after-bonnet.jpg

after-door.jpg

after-rearqtr2.jpg

after-rearqtr3.jpg

after-handle.jpg

All the large metal panels were polished with the machine and the bumpers were polished by hand, although the rear bumper had a nasty scratch on it so i tackled it with the machine and it got rid of most of it. As i polished each panel i made my mate follow with the Super Resin Polish and he also wanted some glaze so we added some Clearkote Red Moose Glaze on it as well as the paint felt quite dry so thought it would be a good move. Then once the whole car was polished and glazed i gave it a layer of Victoria Concours wax and did all the finishing off bits like polished glass, dressed plastic trim and tyres etc.

It looked pretty good in the end, well for a rover anyway :lol:

car-after1.jpg

car-after2.jpg

car-after3.jpg

car-after5.jpg

car-after6.jpg

car-after7.jpg

So there you go, you really can polish a turd! My mate was over the moon with the results and has splashed it all over the rover/mg forums and looks like i may have some work off there :roll:

Oh and yes that is my Corrado finally out of the garage in the 4th after pic down :D but it went back in the garage after :(

Thanks for looking :)

Well i have just been chilling a bit after a hard days graft on Judith's bargain of an 8v corrado! Was generally good nick but looking its age when i got there, and when i left it looked almost as good as mine :p :lol:

Pics and write-up to follow at some point when i can be bothered to go and get my camera out the van and upload some pics :sleeping:

Just wanna say thanks to Judith (and Kip!) for her great hospitality, i had tea and chocolate biscuits all day as well as some quite frankly awesome bacon and egg sarnies :notworthy: so i was as happy as a pig in excrement :lol:

No problem about the bacon & eggs. I love 'em too so always happy to provide them :luvlove:

I was hoping to take a few photos with the sun on my lovely shiney paint work but it's been a horid damp grey day so have had to settle for pics of the car beading like she's never beaded before :)

Many thanks for a great job.

Glad you are happy with it Judith, its beading very nicely! Nothing like a good wax beading 8)

Anyway thought i would post my pics now, despite the dullness with the right settings on the camera they have turned out bloody good! :D

Nice pic's there Rob, and I have to say that the car does indeed look so much better for it! highly recomend anyone else even thinking about having any work done by Rob to stop thinking and get arranging.

I reckon it's added ten times the cost incurred into value of the car now :salute:

Great job, cheers.

Ok i havent done any jobs for a while, mainly down to having too much coursework/exams etc whilst finishing uni 2 months ago now then i went on my trip round europe etc. But i got a request from Del few weeks back and did his corrado on saturday.

When i arrived my initial thoughts were, its just not been washed as it looked dull and lifeless tbh. But on closer inspection i could see the state it was in :( swirls galore and generally hazy, faded paint.

This is how the car looked:

car-before1.jpg

car-before2.jpg

The reflections were pretty lifeless.

reflection-before.jpg

And the level of swirls on the wing and bonnet:

swirls-wing.jpg

swirls-wing2.jpg

swirls-bonnet.jpg

So the usual steps were wash, clay, wash and then start polishing a test area on the bonnet. After a few hits with the chosen pad and polish combo on the machine i achieved these levels of correction, about 90% removal which is my usual level of correction due to not having paint measuring equipment etc:

after-bonnet.jpg

after-bonnet2.jpg

after-bonnet3.jpg

after-wing.jpg

after-door.jpg

after-rearqtr.jpg

Thats a bit more like it!

reflection-after.jpg

50/50 shot on the rear quarter:

5050-rearqtr.jpg

Once the whole car was polished like this i went over with some Super Resin as well as i always do and then added the Concours wax which as always delivered stunning wet looking results. Finally glass was polished, tyres and plastics were dressed. Some after shots:

car-after.jpg

car-after2.jpg

reflection-side.jpg

reflection-bonnet.jpg

And the 2 cars together, stunning!

cars-together.jpg

cars-together2.jpg

I was pretty nackered when i had finished, being in the scorching sun all day really took it out of me and i had a cold shower and collapsed into bed when i got back :lol:

Del seemed pretty pleased with the results which i was happy about as with his other cars entering concours events i knew i had to impress some what!

Cheers.

wow, great stuff, looks awesome now.

can you get rid of hologramming? now the suns out my car looks a mess :(

Just get some super resin on it mate, couple of layers followed by a good wax usually hides holograms for me :D

Rob, like I said yesterday, just after Bonus Time will get you down to do mine, also see if you can do anything with a couple scratches picked up recently (like Wed, flipping kids on holiday!).

I not sure I want to know but what was that all over Dels bonnet? :scratch: Looks like smeared on rabbit poo, was he trying to test your detailing skills? :lol:

I not sure I want to know but what was that all over Dels bonnet? :scratch: Looks like smeared on rabbit poo, was he trying to test your detailing skills? :lol:

Rabbit poo?? Yeah thats exactly what it was :roll: nah its just some suds, i gave it a quick spritz before i took a pic as i forgot.

Rabbit poo?? Yeah thats exactly what it was :roll: nah its just some suds, i gave it a quick spritz before i took a pic as i forgot.

Mate you need to clean your buckets then! :lol:

very good work mate. looks really nice. need to get a g220 and give it a whirl on my car :D cant wait.

very good work mate. looks really nice. need to get a g220 and give it a whirl on my car :D cant wait.

Yeah you should be alright with one of them, orbitals i believe are easy to learn with. I was tight so bought a cheap Silverline Rotary and jumped straight in and although hard to get used to at first, its not rocket science and you would have to be pretty silly to burn through the paint imo!

Just get some super resin on it mate, couple of layers followed by a good wax usually hides holograms for me :D

have done loads of that routine etc, i think i have whats called buffer trails/hologramming? looks messy in the sunlight, can this sort of thing be cured with a machine polish?

i think someone has had a go at it in the past

have done loads of that routine etc, i think i have whats called buffer trails/hologramming? looks messy in the sunlight, can this sort of thing be cured with a machine polish?

i think someone has had a go at it in the past

Yeah sounds like classic buffer trails to me, maybe from a cheap polisher someone used or by just a normal valeter in the past. Machine polishing is the best way to get rid of them.

mine has em aswell from what it was sprayed up, can see it on all the new panels. wish he hadnt bothered polishing it! lol ahh well

you can get holograms from applying too much wax and not buffing it away correctly

if you cant get it machined (best way as herisites says) try a quick detailer or megs stage 1 cleaner and then use super resin polish to hide swirls and then wax but remember to apply any way thinly or you could find it hard to remove and get the holograms back again !!