Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

ABS needed for MOT ?

Both rear ABS sensors are duff on the C. Got the option of replacing them for £48/each + VAT, off GSF*.

1. With the ABS warning light being on constantly, will it fail the MOT?

2. If so, and you chose not to fix the sensors, what can you do?

- a. do people just simply disconnect the warning light and thus the front sensors still work; is this MOT compliant?

Cheers

* that price was given once I gave them the VAG part number. Before that they stated they only had Mk3 Golf ones, which were either £28/each or £62/each pending which ones I wanted/needed.

It'll fail with the warning lamp on, you could remove it but apart from that being pretty dodgy if your car was inspected after an accident I'd rather actually have working abs.

Even without a bulb it'll fail (bulb lights up when ign on to prove it works, hence no bulb no pass)....

Mine passed with intermittant ABS issue as the light went out when tested (1in 3 times it'll stay lit), I'm waiting for complete break down before testing as had VAG COM on it but inconclusive...

I guess if you took the light unit out the dash an replaced with a blank... However I guess an MOT inspector's savvy enough to realise it has ABS when he looks under the bonnet!

Think you'll have to just take the hit mate...

Comes up on the testers screen if the car is fitted with ABS or not, just so he knows what to look for!! so chances are he will look for the light to come on at start up.

Thought that when one sensor was out the ABS doesn't work at all?!

Technically, yes it's needed for the MOT.

Mine however has been most unreliable over the last alomost seven years, the light just stays off now having stayed on for years. It still lights up, it made one appearance when I first powered up after a dash rebuild last year, I think it's just given up trying to get any more attention.

Never failed the MOT though!

Sorry to hear about the ABS. I had fun and games with mine last year for the MOT... But I can confirm my rado passed this morning :D

Yeah same here, the whole light unit in the dash is knackered, so didnt know if the ABS worked or not, untill obviously i got no TC and skidded when braking hard ;)

Turns out my passenger front sensor and the dash unit both need to be replaced, but it didnt fail on ABS.

My understanding of the situation is that this is one of those items which is tested on the "warning light" principle.

As such, if the light/panel appears on the dashboard then it must work as intended. Therefore it is not enough to remove just the bulb from the light - you have to remove the whole unit.

Aside from that it does not matter if your ABS sensors/ECU/pump are all present or not. Those are not tested on the MOT. The only thing that matters is that the dash warning light works if it is fitted to the car.

HTH

John

Sort of fortunate with the Rado in that respect that you can just pull it and put a blanking plate in there. Modern stuff like the MK4 has the ABS warning light integrated into the clocks / cluster - no getting away with it there really!

My understanding of the situation is that this is one of those items which is tested on the "warning light" principle.

As such, if the light/panel appears on the dashboard then it must work as intended. Therefore it is not enough to remove just the bulb from the light - you have to remove the whole unit.

Aside from that it does not matter if your ABS sensors/ECU/pump are all present or not. Those are not tested on the MOT. The only thing that matters is that the dash warning light works if it is fitted to the car.

HTH

John

If your vehicle is fitted with ABS from factory it must work -full stop-,removing the bulb or any component will fail.

Im a tester by trade and the new VOSA Computerisation informs the Tester what is fitted to the vehicle for that year ect.

So what happens if you have a aftermarket (non ABS) braking system fitted?

Surely they can't fail the MOT for that can they?

Yet again,if it is fitted then it must work.

James,

I wonder if you could help me, my V6 has just failed it's MOT and one of the items was the abs light not coming on.

I have checked it out and it was a blown bulb, replaced is and now the light comes on with ignition and goes out when you crank / start

The problem I am concerned about - is there a time span that you / they / the tester's look for, or is just as case of "light on - start engine - light off" ok "pass"???

Thanks in advance

Simon

Yet again,if it is fitted then it must work.

James,

I wonder if you could help me, my V6 has just failed it's MOT and one of the items was the abs light not coming on.

I have checked it out and it was a blown bulb, replaced is and now the light comes on with ignition and goes out when you crank / start

The problem I am concerned about - is there a time span that you / they / the tester's look for, or is just as case of "light on - start engine - light off" ok "pass"???

Thanks in advance

Simon

That's all they're looking for, you should be fine.

so what about mine!? has no ABS, comes up as a 1990 16v but has vr6 under the bonnet. and as is a 1990 it didn't have a cat when new so now i run a cat bypass without any problems! (must admit will need to take it to a garage that i haven't been to before for next mot, so anything could happen!)

Well if there's no ABS pump under the bonnet and no ABS light in the dash, they should be able to work it out...

I had to rig up a timer for my ABS light - a wee timer kit from Maplins and an LED bulb. set it so the ABS light came on for 5 secs and went off again every time the ignition was powered.

At the time there was no ABS light and no obvious wiring for it. I did eventually track the ABS light wiring from the fusebox - (thanks to a member on here) and bought an ABS light from another member.

On mine, ABS works - you can feel it test ok when you switch-on by having your foot on the brake - but my warning light is duff.

Dread to think what the dealer wants for just a new light. £20 or so ???

On mine, ABS works - you can feel it test ok when you switch-on by having your foot on the brake - but my warning light is duff.

Dread to think what the dealer wants for just a new light. £20 or so ???

That pulse under the pedal isn't the ABS - it's the servo pressurising. Mine did that even when the ABS was completely disconnected from the power. The pulse that indicates the ABS is working happens when you first go over 15kph I believe.

I'd guess the dealers want more than £20 for a new light, but I'm sure if you put a wanted ad up on here someone would have one you could use.