Sign in to follow this  
Bally

New Mobile Phone laws

If they are banning phones if you have to hold them then you should also not be allowed to smoke behind the wheel, put on make up etc. The cops are never about when you need them. They should stop picking on us motorists and spend more time trying to catch the theiving scum who steal/attempt to steal our pride and joys. Bastids :mad:

If they are banning phones if you have to hold them then you should also not be allowed to smoke behind the wheel, put on make up etc. The cops are never about when you need them.

Not sure that I agree with the smoking thing... Mobile phones/make-up takes concentration away from driving, I'd argue smoking doesn't :lol:

I admit lighting up could be argued about but even then the time it takes is no longer than a cough/sneeze or taking a sip of a drink?

Mind you, I usually wait until being stopped at junctions or slow moving traffic before lighting up.

Yes, there's also the risk of losing the hot bit into your lap :shock: or dropping it, but I'd say that's not due to loss of concentration, which is what the whole mobile phone thing is about... (it's not just about holding something in your hand :smuttyinnuendo:)

2p

DtM.

taking a sip of a drink?

Drinking and driving aswell eh? :wink: What's your address? I'm gonna send round the Sweeny, so get your trousers on... you're nicked! :p

I admit lighting up could be argued about

Not to mention fishing around looking for your ciggies and your lighter :twisted:

I'm not specifically targeting smokers (was a good example at the time) but it's going to get to the point where all cars will be automatics with no stereo and there will be a ban on talking to your passengers.

Don't mean to offend anyone, apologies if i did.

I have to admit smoking can cause problems I crashed my first car due to the cherry falling of the end of the fag and proceeded to burn me nutz before I knew it I had crashed into a parked car ( WHOOPS :D ) Mind due I haven't done it since :D. Next thing the police will stop is all talking in a car you are just as likely to lose concentration talking to a passenger than you are talking to someone on your mobile phone.

now now chaps :lol:

I don't class smoking as one, but the fone and make-up thing isn't safe..

I see loads of funny ones on the road, peeps shaving whilst sitting in the fast lane, women eating yogurt :lol: what a joke! maybe they call it multi-tasking :lol: still aint funny if they cause an accident... :x

Don't mean to offend anyone, apologies if i did.

Don't be daft, I wasn't offended :geek: :wink:

Driving is one big game of risk management (as is life if you want to get really deep :lol:) sadly with so many numpties holding driving licences, if they're not told "this is a bad idea" they sure as 'ell aren't going to work it out for themselves before its too late :roll:

DtM.

I think it's been a long time coming. I walk more often than I use the car and I regularly see dozy twots drive through a red light because they're too busy holding a phone to their ear and gassing.

Lets face it, if you're on the phone and your bird dumps you, or you win the lottery, or you hear of a family berevement (god forbid), do you think your concentration will be on the road at that point in time?

I totally agree with banning hand helds as a lot of drivers in this country are poor enough as it is, without a phone putting them off, but hands free kits should not be banned.

At the end of the day, you WILL get 3 points on your license if caught, so don't use it! Anything urgent can be dealt with by pulling over somewhere and calling back etc.

Kev

think its a bit off all or nothing with the phone.

yuo see lots of people texting while driving which is a big no-no.

supppose you cant ban text if you dont ban talk while holding.

I partly agree with the making them illegal to use whilst driving, i've seen so many idiots wander all over the road and you think whats up with them untill you see a mobile in their hand.

But then having a handsfree in yuor car is like talking to a passenger, so it doesnt really affect your drivimg manner

i totally agree. i say ban phones, makeup, shaving, eating... etc (all of which i've done while driving i might add, so its not that it wouldnt effect me.. maybe not the makeup bit)

half the time that i'm following someone and say "what the fuck is this twit doing?!" it ends up they are on a cellphone :x

i say ban hands-free as well. they did a study that found that drivers were just as distracted when using hands-free. its about the conversation, not the action of holding a phone. if you need to use the phone, pull over. if you need to talk on the phone for hours at a time put on a bra and sit on your sofa.

text messaging while driving.. now that's just plain stupid (done it.. but it was to a really HOT girl) :lol:

Well, as I work for Carphone Warehouse - and I'm there at the moment (I can access the forum from my till.. hehehe) then I would have to agree 100% with the new law.

I don't care what you say, but anything to do with touching the phone - finding a phone number, changing profile, etc, WILL distract you and take your eyes off the road for a sufficient amount of time for you to crash and maybe even kill somebody.

Yes, there's yoghurt-eaters, newspaper readers, etc etc... but then will get bans, points etc for dangerous driving and drinving without due-care and attention. This is a law specific to mobile phones as it is a LOT more common.

As for the "same concentration as somebody sitting next to you", I would tend to agree and disagree. Due to road/engine noise, tinny voice reproduction through handsfree kits, etc, you will have to concentrate more on what the person is saying in comparison to somebody sitting by you. But personally, I have absolutely no problems with talking on the phone handsfree when tootling along the motorway - however, I wouldn't do it in fast-moving traffic or when I really do need to concentrate (fog, rain, etc).

As for smokers, I don't like you lot anyway since you make me cough. But soon you won't be able to light-up in most public places (I hope) so I'll let you have the car as a smokers area - just not mine!

we've had no smoking in any public place (including bars and coffee shops) here in kitchener for at least 5 years now. its great. quit smoking, i did, its a filthy habit. smoke pot instead much better for you!! (we're legalizing that) :lol:

its one thing to hack a butt now and then but to make it an hourly ritual, no thanks, i like breathing. sorry thats it for the rant.

..but to bring it back on topic, sort of, a study from the UK says that drivers who have smoked a joint are generally safer and more cautious then those who haven't! :shock:

is it right that you cannot use a mobile phone at the wheel even if you have pulled over??im sure i heard that some where :?

is it right that you cannot use a mobile phone at the wheel even if you have pulled over??im sure i heard that some where :?

No mate, that's twaddle :lol:

For those interested, here's the actual law...

Mobile telephones

(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a road if he is using -

(a) a hand-held mobile telephone; or

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(2) No person shall cause or permit any other person to drive a motor vehicle on a road while that other person is using -

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4).

(3) No person shall supervise a holder of a provisional licence if the person supervising is using -

(b) a hand-held device of a kind specified in paragraph (4),

at a time when the provisional licence holder is driving a motor vehicle on a road.

(4) A device referred to in paragraphs (1)(b), (2)(b) and (3)(b) is a device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data.

(5) A person does not contravene a provision of this regulation if, at the time of the alleged contravention -

(a) he is using the telephone or other device to call the police, fire, ambulance or other emergency service on 112 or 999;

(b) he is acting in response to a genuine emergency; and

© it is unsafe or impracticable for him to cease driving in order to make the call (or, in the case of an alleged contravention of paragraph (3)(b), for the provisional licence holder to cease driving while the call was being made).

(6) For the purposes of this regulation -

(a) a mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function;

(b) a person supervises the holder of a provisional licence if he does so pursuant to a condition imposed on that licence holder prescribed under section 97(3)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (grant of provisional licence);

© "interactive communication function" includes the following:

(i) sending or receiving oral or written messages;

(ii) sending or receiving facsimile documents;

(iii) sending or receiving still or moving images; and

(iv) providing access to the internet;

(d) "two-way radio" means any wireless telegraphy apparatus which is designed or adapted -

(i) for the purpose of transmitting and receiving spoken messages; and

(ii) to operate on any frequency other than 880 MHz to 915 MHz, 925 MHz to 960 MHz, 1710 MHz to 1785 MHz, 1805 MHz to 1880 MHz, 1900 MHz to 1980 MHz or 2110 MHz to 2170 MHz; and

(e) "wireless telegraphy" has the same meaning as in section 19(1) of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949[3]."

DtM