Sign in to follow this  
minkeya

Passat Moon roofs

Been on the parts for sale section and these moonroofs keep popping up. I asume they can be fitted to the Corrado, but is it an easy job? Do they look any good?

Yes, they do look good..

I know MI5VW will sell and fit one fro £75, drop her a line...

its a VERY easy job, i'd say about 20 mins work, thats only for removing the interior plastics.

i did it and now its so much better in the car, lighter, plus it splits up the roof nicely!

its a VERY easy job, i'd say about 20 mins work, thats only for removing the interior plastics.

i did it and now its so much better in the car, lighter, plus it splits up the roof nicely!

glad u said that neil,i'll be round we mine for u to do when i get one :lol:

I've got a spare glass at in my garage if u want one. have to fit it to your exsisting mechanism, but u dopnt have to remove any interior, you tilt the roof, undo 4 screws, take out, put new 1 in. But u dont get the sliding shelf.

Think I'll do a guide coz im so nice...

1) Remove sun vissors, 8 screws in total, disconnect passenger light

2) Remove interior clear plastic light cover

3) Slide screw driver up the gap on the left side to releace the metal clip, and remove light housing and disconnect wires.

4) unscrew the 2 screws up front of roof that go into the roof holding the shroud where the light was clipped into.

5) pull passenger roof handle down, slide screw driver into the bottom of the tabs to reveal the screws, undo and remove.

6) slide screw driver underneith the coat hooks and prise them off towards the roof, the plastic bits are actually rubber and only a shief, they are a right bugger to remove, dont be scared! It'll reveal a metal bracket that looks just like the coat hook and a screw.

7) undo the 1 screw at the top of the A piller on each side.

8) unclip the interior plastics that run over the door by pulling quite hard.

9) open boot, unclip the interior plastic trim that goes along the top of the roof above the head rests.

10) Remove the rubber seal around the sun roof, just pull it off, each to put back on

11) Slide the head lining out of the back of the car.

12) pull off the 4 water run off pipes

13) undo the 10 10mm bolts that hold the sun roof off,

**IMPORTANT*

The back are actually resting on a bracket so what i did was remove all bolts apart from one at the front, then just hold the motor and undo the last bolt and then slide and lower the whole mechanism towards the windscreen.

Fitting is reverse of the above.

hope it helps.

20mins! Our record is two hours on someone elses car for replacing the whole frame, plastics and headlining!

I take the 20 mins you mention is for changing the panel only, ie Metal to Glass, there is no way on gods earth you could change a mechanism in 20 mins. :-)

hmmm, true, i only remember it taking about 10 mins to remove all plastics and head lining, the remove the mechanism, 2 mins, put other one back in, 2 mins again, then put all back together, ok maybe half an hour?

I've got a spare glass at in my garage if u want one. have to fit it to your exsisting mechanism, but u dopnt have to remove any interior, you tilt the roof, undo 4 screws, take out, put new 1 in. But u dont get the sliding shelf.

Why don't you get the sliding shelf mate? Mine has a moonroof and sliding shelf?

I've done a complete mechanism change in H-YYU in under 40 minutes... that's from it being a complete standard interior with metal roof panel to a complete standard interior with complete Passat glass roof and mechanism... 8)

i have my sunroof out at the min for a full respray, how hard is it to change the metal roof to the moonroof. Would be very nice to do this

i have just replaced my sun roof with a moon roof from a 'L' reg passat after bugger the mechanism on my original one. I can't seem to get the seal to sit without a gap and i can't get it to sit flush with the roof. any tips? would a new seal do for the gap problem? (the original one is a bit mouldy so i will be changing it any way)

taking it all to bits was easy enough tho. fun too :lol: