Sign in to follow this  
Stan 24v

For those with non OE bushes

Interesting reads.. thanks for those! Glad I stuck with OE when I had my rear bushes changed recently!

yeah, really interesting read, If the posts are factually correct (and they seem pretty well informed) I think it's another example of how a manufacturers research and development produces OEM kit that does the job very well and how aftermarket 'performance upgrades' can be quite the opposite.

It's also interesting that it's not always the case that something like an aftermarket bushing is a straight-forward trade off between comfort and performance, I've always wondered what increased stresses are placed on clutches, driveshafts etc, by stiffening up all the mountings for the engine and suspension, 'somethings gotta give'.

was about to put powerfles bushes in all round when i'm changing the springs think i'll stick with oe now,

has anyone experienced the 'suspension slop' that they supposedly got when using poly bushes?

To be honest i have had powerflex on cars before and I never had any of those problems.

I have never had a car with new OE bushes in but powerflex bushes are easier to work with (whether thats a good or bad thing). I am not worried about the bushes at all, new powerflex are better than old oe!

To be honest i have had powerflex on cars before and I never had any of those problems.

I have never had a car with new OE bushes in but powerflex bushes are easier to work with (whether thats a good or bad thing). I am not worried about the bushes at all, new powerflex are better than old oe!

First time i've read or heard about anything like this aswell. How much stiffer are the powerflex supposed to be?

Hows your car handling with them on now?

i notice you have koni shocks and h&R springs? i have koni shocks (top adjustable) too but need new springs was thinking of H&R how do you find the ride, recommend them?

Cheers

Dan

Well the car is in the garage having the bushes fitted so I cant comment on them, but they are supposed to reduce a lot of the excess that oe bushes have. I have never found them to make the handling worse (quite the opposite)

I find the ride on my car much nicer over rought roads than the koni coilovers I had on the g60. But I havent really driven the VR6 enough yet to give a fair comparison. But I am happy so far.

will the part numbers for the bushes from the tt mentioned on the vortex thread be the same for the uk?

front of front wishbone: 357407182

rear of front wishbone: 8N0407181

i will order a set from the audi dealer down the road if they are as mine have started to wear out.

cheers will give them a try, its just the audi dealer is round the corner from where i work so i could have nipped in there at lunchtime.

Fair point mate. I priced the rear wishbone bush up yesterday at a local place, who gets his stuff from GSF, it came in at £11.50 + VAT whereas at VW they were £13.77 + VAT. (they come on the R32 as well as TT)

Vibratechnics did the same thing VW have done with the rear wishbone bushes years ago, i.e. making them solid rubber instead of perforated.....but the VT ones are still stronger.

The stock bushes are rubbish, even new ones. It's just a bad design......

I woundn't use GSF bushes - for the sake of a couple of quid buy genuine ones!

The part numbers above are the wrong way round for front / rear... the 357 part is the same as Corrado's anyway and the 8N0 does not exist - there is the same number with 1J0 at the front (mk4 Golf) or there is the number above with B at the end...

I woundn't use GSF bushes - for the sake of a couple of quid buy genuine ones!

The part numbers above are the wrong way round for front / rear... the 357 part is the same as Corrado's anyway and the 8N0 does not exist - there is the same number with 1J0 at the front (mk4 Golf) or there is the number above with B at the end...

so what do i need to order then if i want the front and rear TT wishbone bushes?

coolrado, i'm not sure as there are different parts depending on chassis number... not had time to read thru the vortex threads...

Pics are misleading, if there was that much movement car would drive like a bowl of jelly on wheels.

I am sure there are various dimensions in which the suspension move. Poly bushes do allow for movement (obviously not as much as OEM).

Furtehrmore, poly bushes have been used for donkeys of years, can remember me older bro having them on his cossie back in the day. Never had any probs what so ever with them.

So which is the best rear WB / CA bush to use??

Vortex quote 8N0 407 181 which doesn't exist over here

We have a choice of -

1J0 407 181

or

8N0 407 181 B

I do prefer poly bushes and yes i have had to replace the wishbone bushes too as they wore out, but at the end of the day if its performance you want then you have to expect things to wear out quicker too.

So which is the best rear WB / CA bush to use??

Vortex quote 8N0 407 181 which doesn't exist over here

We have a choice of -

1J0 407 181

or

8N0 407 181 B

Go with the 8N0 407 181 B as the B bit is just a revision of the original part.

As for polybushes, they really are no good for the front wishbone rear bush - they might feel tighter initially but it wont last and will wear incorrectly.

Oh and on a sidenote there is enough movement in the OEM Corrado rear bush (same as a Mk 2 Golf) that the factory spec racers in the US turn them through 90 degrees to reduce caster changes under load..

As for polybushes, they really are no good for the front wishbone rear bush - they might feel tighter initially but it wont last and will wear incorrectly.

What about the front wishbone front bush? Are the Poly ones better than OEM items?

What about the front wishbone front bush? Are the Poly ones better than OEM items?

That should come down to the normal poly Vs OE issue, poly will be tighter but give a harsher ride - there are issue with bush binding (go away Toady it's not that sort of bush ;)) that become more apparant when using poly (ie it binds more than OE rubber) but is otherwise ok.

The other bush set that you really dont want to use poly on is the rear beam.

That should come down to the normal poly Vs OE issue, poly will be tighter but give a harsher ride - there are issue with bush binding (go away Toady it's not that sort of bush ;)) that become more apparant when using poly (ie it binds more than OE rubber) but is otherwise ok.

The other bush set that you really dont want to use poly on is the rear beam.

I had the rear beam on the Badcrumble with Poly bushes :brickwall: I still have the beam and was going to refurb it and stick it on Gooney with the poly bushes! Needless to say I will be acquiring VW OEM ones now :salute:

So what are we saying exactly as im missing the point tbh, Poly are no good cos they wear quicker?

I hate the rear passive steer as it feels too loose on the back end, yes the OE bushes were worn and new would have sorted it but i still like Poly.