Sign in to follow this  
Crewy

Which Corrado should i get?

Ok i have decided to get rid of my Mk4 Polo 16v for a Corrado and i am stuck choosing between

Corrado 2.0 16v

and

Corrado G60

What would you guys recommend would be the best and the good and bad points of each.

Thanx

Well, if you can afford the extra insurance, the G60 I'd have said. More performance and more potential if modding is your scene.

That said, the valver might be a more economical runabout. It all depends what you want from it.

I haven't driven a valver - but the g60s are a lot of fun. but they are definitely a car you'll end up modding a lot - as theres so much available to do. just try lots of both and see what you think.

personally i'd go with the g60..seems a a bit more fun and has a litlle more poke.. but then things like insurance have to come into consideration...

good luck choosing dude, try both to see how you feel..

j x.

search for both and try to find the cleanest, best condition car you can, a wedge of receipts is always a good thing and look for replaced axle bushes, and suspension components in general, alternators, power steering pumps, starters etc all give trouble over 100,000 miles and there's the usual sunroof problems which are hassle to sort.

Providing the base engine and charger is sound a G60 can be chipped/pulleyed to 200 bhp, however on any car of this age over stressing old components could get you in trouble.

A 16v will be a little more economical on fuel but not a great deal more than a G60 or VR6. 2.0 16v's seem to have a little more trouble with the fuelling system than the other cars when they get old but in general the 16v is a cheap and fairly easy car mechanically to maintain.

If you're wanting a reasonably quick car the G60's and VR6's were really the performance models and although the 16v handles nicely the 16v engine was never really suited to the heavier body of the Corrado over the mk2 golf, it goes OK but lacks the low end torque.

Ok i have decided to get rid of my Mk4 Polo 16v for a Corrado and i am stuck choosing between

Corrado 2.0 16v

and

Corrado G60

What would you guys recommend would be the best and the good and bad points of each.

Thanx

this has been my first VW ...I have other turbo cars...

with 280k on the clock, it uses oil....and chargers need rebuilding often -from what I hear

every 40k.; rebuild costs around the £500 mark.

I must admit I was impressed with the power the charger provided.

If you are wanting something different (which I have been) get a G60.

Would this not be best suited to General Car Chat as it's not a 'technical' discussion about the Corrado engine?

Moderation around here is terrible :roll:

;)

VR6

If you want to explore the more performance side of Corrado ownership, spend some money on tuning, etc then i'd suggest the G60. If you want a Corrado that is probably more likely to need a little less TLC than the G60, one that is marginally more economical, and you want the later (and nicer IMHO) interior then go for the 2.0 16v.

Don't worry bout the insurance difference, I've always found it's cheaper to insure a g60 over a 16v.

Then again, it's easy to mod like hell!

....and chargers need rebuilding often -from what I hear

every 40k.; rebuild costs around the £500 mark.

That's hardly often, unless you're using your G60 as a taxi or something! If you do an average of 10K miles a year that's a rebuild every 4 years, and a standard rebuild is £400 not £500

If you want a Corrado that is probably more likely to need a little less TLC than the G60, one that is marginally more economical, and you want the later (and nicer IMHO) interior then go for the 2.0 16v.

Yep, the interior on the later cars is much nicer IMO, but i've not found 16V's to be more economical than G60's at all, which came as a big suprise.

Well thats why I said marginally mate. I suppose my frame of reference was my old modded G60 which wasn't particularly good on fuel :D

thanx for all the answers i am deffo got to be modding the engine due to the Polo i have was all about looks and now i am looking for summit with abit more speed and i would love a VR but unfortunaly at 21 with only 1 years no claims and a years driving i will have problems getting insured on it.

I dont have to worry about the interior due to i am looking for a Corrado for my next project car/daily driver and i will be pumping alot of money into it.

The difference in insurance between the 2 aint that much so that aint a problem.

Looks liked i will be going G60 then i know quite abit about the Polo G40 and was going to get one of these but i am now after a bigger car so been looking at Golfs and Corrados. I have now been swayed more towards the Corrado due to the fact you dont see many about.

What should i look out for when buying one of these where arethe places it is more prone to rust and such, I know about the problems with the sunroof and how can i check that it leaks?