Sign in to follow this  
davidwatsonok

Goodbye old friend

Owned since '94 by either me or my partner, after 13 years she's now gone...

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

Ross, the new owner, seems enthusiastic and keen to make her more VW-ish, removing my colour-coded front bits and fitting a badgeless grille, and replacing the awesome, lightweight (really do improve handling) OZ alloys with some heavy BBS jobbies, but hey, she's his now and as long as he looks after her as well, or better than I did then I wish him many happy years of driving and appreciating her.

So, back to my little Skoda (great car, believe me) for a while 'til I can afford/justify my next Scooby. Impreza SpecC or Forester STi....hmmmm :?:

You'll be back!!

No mate, I really won't I'm afraid. Moved on over 4 years back when the g/f took over driving the C and I got into Scoobs, and that's where my heart lies now. Still adore the looks, but for every other aspect of me owning/driving a car the Impreza is automotive excellence. A year or two of mortgage reduction is ahead of me now with two careers and 80 hour weeks before I relax and enjoy driving at that level again, but come that day it will be a SpecC, SpecC TypeRA, Litchfield Type20/25 or maybe a Forester STi (only with 330/330 min and full race suspension).

We sold ours last week and I miss her already :cry: . But unlike you, we will be back at some point in the future :D

sad news mate, especially owning him/her/it for that long :(

i dunno... i thought the same thing... sold my Corrado, got into Honda's... very reliable car... i had a 1992 Integra GSR Turbo (only the states got this car, and i then turbo'd it... has a B17A1, to my knowledge Honda's rarest engine) ...shortly after selling i spent 3 years trying to get mine back haha good luck hope you can get away with staying away but i wouldn't count on it hahaha

I know 2 lads with scoobies, both of them have had to replace there engines....think they make the cranks out of a form of slightly hardened chocolate

Funny, I did 40k in 2 years and 8 months in my Scoob, and apart from an EGT sensor (£45) and an O2 sensor (£0 - warranty) it never missed a beat. During that same period the C covered under 10k and had a new brake master cylinder, clutch master, slave and curly pipe, new rear calipers, replacement wing mechanism, sticking sunroof, a wheel bearing, new front shocks and springs and 2 (split) cooling pipes.

The tales of engine woes on Scoobs come from idiots trying to wring every last bit of power to try and make their car faster, when with the standard 265bhp (WRX PPP) my car was amongst the fastest in the north of England. Money spent wisely on a Scoob will make it amongst the quickest and most rewarding drives, but the power is adequate usually. I mod'd the chassis and suspension so I could use every bit of power in full control whatever the conditions (road/weather), whereas the power junkies end up with an unreliable car that is a handful to control and ultimately slower. I was events organiser for the West Yorks Scooby's and hence personally know around 60 Scoob owners compared to your 2 and liaise with hundreds over the 'net, and not one of our members suffered an engine failure. For a sports car club though we were all very mature and deterred membership by hot-headed idiots who could bring our club into disrepute. No McD car park meets for us, just country pubs, trackdays and family orientated fun. We always welcomed other groups along too, unlike the VW community whom even have the rudeness to name their meets "No-Rice". If anyone's interested, I have an open invite in the trackday section BTW. I'll be their in my Skoda, along with a couple of stripped, track-ready Mk.1 GTi's and a host of Scoobs and Evo's.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, my Corrado needed a new engine. When the head gasket went for the third time (due to VW bodging a 16V head onto a block designed for an 8V head as they had neither the time nor finances to design and manufacture it properly leading to overheating problems, I'm told) it was fitted with a Vege remanufactured unit, along with a new clutch and refurb of the 'box. In the same year I replaced every item which rolls and bounces on every corner. Almost all those items have been replaced at least once since too. It never passed a single MOT without needing work except the last one before I sold it and my g/f even had a b0ll0cking from her accountant about how there was no way he could justify the maintenance and running costs of such an old car to the tax man if they started asking questions. In retrospect, I wish I'd got into Scoobs in the mid to late 90's and just had a couple of years of happy memories of Corrado's, instead of looking back at it and resenting all the money and frustration it has caused. They are a Naomi Campbell of a car. Stunning to look at but a complete pain in the @r$e to live with every day.

Whoa!!!...I think we need some lovin back here lol! :)

I don't think we should be comparing reliability ratios here coz we all know that C's have a standing joke on their reliability!

As for Scoobs being unreliable, i have to agree with Dave on this. The only reason some chew their engines is coz you can pick an L reg version for 3k, prob less. This puts them within the means of Saxo drivers who then boost the power by fitting crap, cheap chips, then run it on the cheapest weak as p*ss fuel they can get their hands on from supermarkets. And invariably the car will be a Japanese import which as we all know MUST be run on good quality high octane fuel (unless you start re-mapping it for UK fuel and put fuel cut defencers on etc) otherwise the engines start pinking or running way to lean and way to hot......hey presto, a melted piston or two.

The Scoobs were continually developed through their production, so an early classic probably has little resembelance to a late spec version.

Thats my tupence anyway! Peace n'all that :luvlove: