Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

Spoiler activation tuning

This thread is for tuning the spoiler activation speeds if it's of interest, because I think raising at 45mph (or 56mph for later cars) and down again at 10mph, or what ever, is a bit useless and pants.

The spoiler has no effect until at least 65-70mph and that's when I wanted mine to come up and I also want it to drop again at 45mph.

I've managed to get it to come up at 65mph by removing the tuning resistor, but if anyone knows how to get it to come down again at 45, that would be cool!

A few threads to help us get started -

http://www.jimy.org/corrado/spoiler/

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000098

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1832473&postid=18935702

It's not a standard speed that any copper's gonna know though, so not like the old 911 spoilers that everyone knew came up at 80 :lol:

80 would be better actually :lol: It's possible, but it's the fannying about with resistors that's the tedious bit.

Looking at the circuit, there's two resistors in series for the raise speed and another one for the lowering speed. The main raising resistor is a tiny surface mount one which will be fun removing. The second resistor is a normal one and fitted by hand according to the market the car is going to.....that one just needs replacing with a straight bit of wire to get the 65mph raise speed.

The rest I'll need to play with and figure out I think!

What you need is Oichan's adjustable spoiler module.. he fixed it so you could configure what speeds it came up and down from a little dial! It was well cool!

Yeah, that was tacked in place of the resistor I removed last night, so the maximum raise speed would still only be 65mph with his mod ;-)

My guess would be that you'd need to change the size of one of the capacitors to a smaller value in order increase the raise speed much further.

What exactly you'd have to change and to what, I have no idea on though.

errr, mine comes up at 130kph, cant you start by getting a LHD module that is setup already? or am i being stoopid?

... or am i being stoopid?

Nope :)

Mine is a LHD (91 G60, german import) and comes up at 130kph. Not sure when it goes down though.

DJ

--

Mmmmm Onto German Fleabay methinks :)

Just order 535 919 845 from the stealer, I got one free with a wiring loom I bought, going to fit it to the valver.

Mmmmm Onto German Fleabay methinks :)

Just order 535 919 845 from the stealer, I got one free with a wiring loom I bought, going to fit it to the valver.

nice one on the part number Yan, cheers

Were the spoilers not originally designed to raise at 60mph, but the police kept pulling people for speeding on dual carriageways with the spoiler erected.....or is this an old wives tale??? :roll:

i have heard that one.. but not sure.. i know originally they were set to come up at 60 - 70 but obviously ours with our silly rd laws would never have flinched..

so i think thats why they come up at 40 ish..

well mine anyway..

If I'm right, and I very rarely am, my H reg 16v used to pop up at 45mph, but my Storm does it at 65mph. As far as I know, both went down under 20mph. Would be cool to get it at half mast for an in between speed...

Were the spoilers not originally designed to raise at 60mph, but the police kept pulling people for speeding on dual carriageways with the spoiler erected.....or is this an old wives tale??? :roll:

Old wives tale to an extent.

The spoilers as Kev mentioned earlier as designed to deploy over 70mph (130kph IIRC), this is a problem in this country as the legal limit is 70mph.. So they decided to release a lower speed version for lower speed markets, UK and US mostly.

Early spoilers go up at 47mph and down at around 5 mph, later or VR only not sure, go up at 58mph and down at around 5mph again.

Mine raises at 47mph as stated by Yan but comes back down at about 12mph. It's a 93 VR

As a slight aside is there away to configure it to work with an alarm? always wondered when i'm washing it and forget to raise it myself.

(Or am I just being lazy?)

My 93 VR used to raise at 57ish and fall at 5-10ish but now my 92 valver raises in the 40's and drops around 5-10ish... Weird!! :?

Yep, VRs raise at 56mph and G60s/16Vs raise at 45mph, although some of the 95 run out non VRs are probably 56mph too.

Well, shortly after creating this thread I disconnected the spoiler and left it that way and do you know what? It makes absolutely bugger all difference. I guess on the significantly more mushy stock suspension and silly ride height, the spoiler might have a small effect, but as I suspected, it's one big gimmick!!

VW printed some blurb about the amount of extra downforce the spoiler produces when raised waaaaaaay back when from wind tunnel measurements. Buggerered if I remember the figures now, though!

Corrado not only looks like a sports car. It drives like one. Perhaps because it is a wish list of everything our engineers wanted in a sports car. Like a speed-activated spoiler which automatically extends when you need it.

By reducing rear lift by up to 64%, it increases high-speed stability and directional control.

Question: How important is this spoiler? Answer: Important enough to be on Formula 1 cars and the Porsche Carrera 4.

Article clicky

It's down in the 'VW ad printed in 1990' section