Dan_Storm

dan_storm's Storm

The storm looks very sweet Dan.

If you can make the next South East monthly meet it would be nice to have a proper look at her.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll definately be at the next No-Rice meet.....and possibly the next SE meet depending on the date.

I thought it was about time I updated this page! So here's whats changed over the last couple of years!

- I had loads of issues with water pumps! I'm on my 3rd or maybe 4th now! A certain garage (no names mentioned) seemed to be fitting it incorrectly and the new pump would start leaking after a few hundred or thousand miles! The current water pump was fitted by the Phirm and has been fine for about a year now :)

- The original exhaust was on its last legs so I had it replaced with a Miltek - very pleased with it.

- New suspension bushes

- The engine started running hot which turned out to be the head gasket.

- It has new timing chains, tensioners and clutch

- Wheels have been refurbished

- As the original discs and pads were worn I had 288mm Golf brakes fitted upfront. They have only been on the car for 2 days so not bedded in yet.

Thats about all the big jobs - lots of minor things like coolant hoses & thermostats. Mechanically the car is in great condition, it sailed through its MOT last week. There are still loads of things I need to get done though!

To Do List:

-Get the bodywork sorted - I have stonechips, dents and a couple of scratches

-Get a decent alarm fitted

-Fix the aircon, it hasn't worked for a few years now!

Got any recent pics?

Good to see you're a long time owner

Have you got Davia air con? When I had mine re-gassed a couple of summers ago it was really effective with air coming out at around 6c 8)

Yes, I'll try and dig out a few more recent pics.

It is Davia aircon. It hasn't worked for a couple of years now....I just haven't got round to fixing it! I remember there was a bit of a leak before it stopped working. I imagine quite a few seals hoses may have perished over the years so I'm going to save a few pennies before I get it looked at.

I really should get updating this thread more often!! The Storm is currently SORN'd and stored in the garage. It's only been off the road a month and I'm planning on getting it taxed again by the end of Feb.

I did a fair bit of work to it last year, I replaced the heater matrix and fitted a fixed steering column. It's now passed the magic 100,000 mile mark too.

Here's some photos....

Interior out for the heater matrix - pretty scary!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSCN0915.JPG[/attachment:2f1b2sva]

I replaced the matrix as it had never been done. I didn't seem to be loosing water, but the matrix had been seeping. Looks like I got to it just in time

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCN0920.JPG[/attachment:2f1b2sva]

These aren't very recent but couldn;t find any better newer photos

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfdsc_0013.jpg[/attachment:2f1b2sva]

dsc_0014.jpg[/attachment:2f1b2sva]

I really should get updating this thread more often!! The Storm is currently SORN'd and stored in the garage. It's only been off the road a month and I'm planning on getting it taxed again by the end of Feb.

I did a fair bit of work to it last year, I replaced the heater matrix and fitted a fixed steering column. It's now passed the magic 100,000 mile mark too.

Here's some photos....

Interior out for the heater matrix - pretty scary!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSCN0915.JPG[/attachment:32g948li]

I replaced the matrix as it had never been done. I didn't seem to be loosing water, but the matrix had been seeping. Looks like I got to it just in time

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCN0920.JPG[/attachment:32g948li]

These aren't very recent but couldn;t find any better newer photos

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfdsc_0013.jpg[/attachment:32g948li]

dsc_0014.jpg[/attachment:32g948li]

ALL THAT TO GET HEATER MATRIX OUT..OUCH

Yeah, it's pretty mad isn't it! The neighbours thought I was mad when they saw the insides of the car :)

Yeah, it's pretty mad isn't it! The neighbours thought I was mad when they saw the insides of the car :)

Hmmm might leave mine until next winter then

I replaced the headlight lenses today as one was cracked and they were looking pretty tired. I gave the light units a good clean-up while I was there and replaced the rusted screws.

The photos probably don't do it justice, but it all looks a lot fresher at the front end now. I just need to get the stone-chips sorted now!

I replaced the headlight lenses today as one was cracked and they were looking pretty tired. I gave the light units a good clean-up while I was there and replaced the rusted screws.

The photos probably don't do it justice, but it all looks a lot fresher at the front end now. I just need to get the stone-chips sorted now!

Yeah you can really see the difference from the pics...did you get the lens from the dealers...I recently totally cleaned my headlight unit and the lens is letting it down...looks "blurry" in mine caused by millions of tiny stone chips.

did you get the lens from the dealers

No, I got them from ARZ-Tuning in Germany for 59EUR. I think the prices are about the same as the dealers (maybe even cheaper from the dealers?) but as I was getting lots of small trim pieces from ARZ I got the lenses too as I didn't have time to stop by the dealers. They are right-hand drive Hella OEM lenses and identical to the originals - minus the crack and pit marks of course! Thankfully my reflectors are still in pretty good condition so just gave them a quick clean.

I've finally sorted out 8 years worth of part receipts/garage bills and organised them in a folder. I hate to think what the total amount spent comes too...

On the Corrado front, not much to report aside from getting a new alarm fitted from Andy at TrimWizard last year.

I'm determined to get stuck in this year and sort out the steering issues I've been having, sort the aircon and get the bodywork touched-up.

I've got a big long list of other smaller jobs. The list includes:

*Fit new engine mounts

*Replace the sunroof motor (current one is on it's last legs)

*Tidy-up some of the interior trim that never really got finished after the matrix change

*Fit new front speakers & replace the window rollers while the door cards are off

*Take the seats out and give the interior a proper scrub - the carpet hasn't looked its best since I did the heater matrix

*Fit the pollen filter and SWG scuttle panel that has been sitting in the garage for 2 years!

I treated the Corrado to a new set of ball joints, trackrods and ARB drop links. It took me ages due to lack of time and lack of tools (had to buy some mid-job). I've finally got it all back together, went for a quick drive and the steering is feeling a lot tighter, but the tracking and camber definitely need doing. The top mounts are past their best too, so makes sense to get those replaced before the tracking/camber.

While I had the car on axle stands I took the opportunity to give the brake lines a clean-up. They came up surprisingly well after 17 years of abuse!

Nice pics...Good to see another green storm :) Very unusual where you have stuck your tax disk :)

How much were the new set of ball joints, trackrods and ARB drop links if you dont mind me asking. Thinking of getting mine replaced too.

Edited by VWVW

Ah, the tax disc isn't there anymore. It was in that position when I bought it but I soon moved it as I suspect Mr Plod wouldn't like it.

I've got a mate who works for TPS so I got a bit of a discount on the parts, but it was still about 280quid for the 2 track rods, 2 ball joints, drop links, gaiters and the nuts and bolts. Not cheap, but the old bits felt sloppy once I had them off the car so it should sharpen up the handling once I get the tracking sorted

I should really update this thread more often, well unfortunately yesterday was not a good day!

Driving home on the M25 I noticed the water temperature was high. I realised something was up so came off at the next junction. I could smell coolant as soon as I stopped and opened the bonnet to be greeted by a big puddle of coolant on the road.

I had lots of fun and games with the AA and finally got towed home 5 hours after breaking down.

I'm certain it is the crackpipe at fault so I think it's time to update to a gruvenparts one.

I want to give the whole cooling system an overhaul when funds allow. The cooling system does seem to be the weakest link on the VR6.

I'm getting fed up with the ride quality on The H&R/Koni combo, so much so that I have been thinking if selling up. It seems that I end up driving slowly to lookout and avoid potholes. I know the H&R/Koni setup is known to be on the more compliant side, but I'm still finding it too harsh with not enough suspension travel on rough surfaces.

I'd like to compare the ride quality with other setups to see if there is something a bit softer. I don't want to sell up but I'm not enjoying the experience with the current state of the roads.

[ATTACH]75016[/ATTACH]

Dont go gruvenparts, stick a standard plastic one on. The gruvenparts one is good for a a few years but the drain plug collects road dirt and seizes sold. When I finally got it undone when putting it back on it didnt seal properly at the drain plug so was weeping coolant. As said put a brand new plastic one on and it will last another 100 odd thousand miles

Thanks for the tips. Money is a bit tight, so I've gone with a standard crackpipe. I've had a weep from the rad elbow for a while now. The elbow and o-ring aren't too old, so I suspect it is actually the radiator at fault. I've ordered a new rad, elbow and o-ring. My thermostat and housing aren't too old, so they should be good for a bit longer.

I just changed my plastic crack pipe after 18 years of service and 115000 miles so it was another plastic one for me.

I've had a busy weekend stripping everything down, all went very well until I got to the bonnet cable! The cable clamp was badly rusted, I gave it a soak in Plusgas then tried to release the bolt holding the cable on, but it sheared off :(

I tried drilling out the rest of the bolt but ended-up damaging the cable in the process, so I'm now after a new bonnet release cable.

As suspected, the leak was coming from the crackpipe. There was a split where the T-piece comes off to the oil cooler.

I've got quite a bit on order ready for next weekend. I'd like to replace more and get the metal bits powder-coated, but it will have to wait till next year. I've decided to replace the coolant temp sensors while I have the thermostat housing out. I've had a new thermostat sat in the garage for years, so I will use that even though the old one seems to be ok. The housing is in good condition, so that will be going back on with new seals.

My car is on Nothelle springs, with Koni shocks and the ride is quite comparable to standard. I unfortunately dont know the spring rate but perhaps this might be available somewhere? If so, you can get your own springs wound fo fit on the shocks.

My car is on Nothelle springs, with Koni shocks and the ride is quite comparable to standard. I unfortunately dont know the spring rate but perhaps this might be available somewhere? If so, you can get your own springs wound fo fit on the shocks.

Thanks Hasan. Unfortunately I've had to spend out quite a bit on the Corrado recently, so plans to change the suspension have been put on hold for now. I'll bear in mind the Nothelle springs though. Guess they are hard to come by.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Here is the leak from the T-piece on the crack pipe

Leak_zpsb7c5669c.jpg

While I had access, I checked the oil cooler hoses and considered replacing them, but my plan is to strip the front end again next year and replace all cooling hoses, get the metalwork shot-blasted/powder-coated and replace the A/C condenser and some of the pipework. The oil cooler hoses looked ok, so I figured they'd last until I replaced all hoses next year. Big mistake....more on that later.

There was quite a bit of rust near the rad support

Rust_zpsb422707f.jpg

I treated the worst of it, used a rust prevention primer and then a quick spray. It looks a bit rough and ready, but it's only to keep the rot at bay until I get it power-coated.

Rust2_zps0a8492ec.jpg

I ended up fitting the following while I had good access:

New Crackpipe

New Hella Radiator & radiator elbow

New Rad temp sensor

New blue, yellow and black temp sensors

New thermostat & thermostat housing seal

New bonnet release cable

Nice shiny lower & upper Rad brackets from daves16v

NewRad_zps71e0e2c5.jpg

I got the front end back on and installed the battery then tested the stage 1,2 & 3 fan's were kicking in by bridging the pins on the sensor plugs. Stage 2 didn't work, which I initially mis-diagnosed as a wiring issue :( I spent ages chasing the non-issue, then started from the basics and found the fan was faulty on stage 2! So, front end back off again and hunt for a new fan :(

I then connected the plugs up to the sensors and found stage 3 was kicking in with the ignition on. I got the multimeter out and found the new black sensor was dead on arrival. I cleaned up the old sensor and used that. I am going to return the new one for a replacement.

I nearly went with some aftermarket slimline fans, but for a couple of reasons ended-up sticking OE. I ordered a second hand unit from a breakers. The connections are the same and all looked good, but then I realised the pulley for the second fan was a different size. It turns out they sent me a Golf fan. I looked at trying to swap the pulleys over, but the Golf unit was pretty sealed with no circlips visible.

Golf fan on left and Corrado fan on right:

Fans_zps5254cbf8.jpg

I ended-up buying a new Meyle unit in the end. Quality of it is good too.

NewFan_zpsebc2eaaf.jpg

I got the front end back together and filled-up with coolant, I noticed a couple of leaks. First was from the thermostat housing. I tweaked-up the bolts which seemed to fix it. The second leak was from near the crackpipe :(

I had a good look, and I could see coolant seeping from the oil cooler hose. It looks like the clip has eaten through the hose.

So, front end off again. I have the 2 oil cooler hoses on order. I'll drain the system, replace the hoses and hopefully all should finally be working :)

I noticed another oddity when the engine was warming up. The fan's kicked in at stage 1 just above 90° as expected. The fan then cut out after 45 seconds or so as the coolant temperature dropped. I was then waiting for the fans to kick in again as the temperature rose....but they didn't. It got to the point where stage 2 should have cut in, but didn't either. So, i may possibly have a duff new radiator temp sensor too. I ran out of time, so will investigate more when I have replaced the oil cooler hoses.

On the plus side, I can now strip the front end in 15 minutes :)

Sorry for the rubbish photos.