Sign in to follow this  
awa83

Corrado VR6 - maintenance knowledge

Hey all,

Am currently the owner of a Fabia VRS - great for motorways and everyday driving but want a "weekend" car for fun and pure driving pleasure.....a corrado VR6 was suggested to me as the cheapest way to meet that criteria. The only thing I was concerned about was the fact I've only ever owned a new car so haven't ever had to do the basic engineering stuff that I imagine you get a lot owning an older car like this. How much basic knowledge should I have to make the most of owning a car like this??

Any advice welcome!

AWA83

I doubt I'm the only one on here who owns a VR and doesn't have much maintenance knowledge. CF is a great way to learn more and people are usually keen to help out when they can. I've only been on here for a few months and have learnt so much already. I admit it's basic at the moment but it's still valuable knowledge! I managed nearly a year and a half of ownership without knowing much before I found this site, so it can be done!!

I reckon you should go for it. It would be shame to pass up owning such a fun and unusual car just for this reason.... :D

find a good one and it shouldnt need to much maintenance. the only problem i find is the lack of a cheap haynes type manual, but there are other versions around.

Of course this forum is the best source of knowledge ! Just ask and you normally get exactly the help you need.

Welcome !

I know nothing mr faulty, and i've managed for the last couple of years.

And my rado has had just about every problem it's possible for a corrado to have! :)

Nice to see another vRS owner on here 8) double-6s- don't say a word! :lol:

Go for it- you won't be disappointed. The VR6 is awsome!

Everybody starts off with no mechanical knowledge. I'm certainly not mechanical, but I've managed to do things such as fuel filters, gearbox oil and even my radiator. The more you do, the more confident you get. There's always someone on here willing to give advice and you can find just about everything using the search.

Get one mate you wont regret it!

Im 21 and got my VR last year with only very basic knowledge that i picked up from my old fiesta which is basically changing plugs and air filter etc, nothing technical anyway.

Although i bought a good corrado and nothing bad has gone wrong yet (touch wood!!!) i wanted to renew most of the drivetrain parts to make the car nicer to drive. I got quotes of stupid amounts from garages so thought sod it and booked a week off work 2 weeks back now and with help of guides off this forum, the PDF version of the Bentley manual and the guys on here of course i managed to change all the front bushes (which included jacking engine up for wishbones, lowering sub frame for ARB bushes), ball joints and CV boots. As well as change the gearbox oil, adjust the gear linkages, and change the engine oil etc and i done it all myself and was very pleased with myself as i didnt think i could do it and certainly couldnt have without this forum! So you may be surprised at what you could do.

As said though if you look around and get a good one you shouldnt really need any mechanical knowledge.

I can only echo whats been said, jump in you wont regret it. Make sure you find a good un and put some extra cash aside for wear and tear on car thats over 10 years old but an absolute classic. I'm not as able as Herisites but I've had go and you soon learn that way! Drive a Corrado and life becomes so sweet!

Great - thanks for all of the replies. Despite only looking into the VR6s for a couple of weeks now I feel like I've well and truly caught the bug and won't settle for anything else now!! Sounds like even when I do end up having to do a few bits and pieces there's plenty of help here when I have questions....next step is taking the leap and buying one I guess!

Thanks again.

awa83

welcome to the forum pal you will be suprised at how well built and solid they are after all they are a vw look at other cars of the era :) :) :)

get a good un and you will a huge grin and even if you get a bit of a bad un they aint rocket science to work on and with plenty of lads willing to help/offer adice you cant go wrong

btw if you are local ish to me i will even come with you to check out any you may find or are interested in its my 2nd corrado vr6 and i have had a golf vr6 too excellent engine if not thee best vw have made awesome sound whilst on song and yet great on fuel tickling it around i get an average of36mpg :) :)

great on fuel tickling it around i get an average of36mpg :) :)

Blimey you must drive like a vicar!! :lol: i wouldnt go getting the poor guys hopes up thinking he will easily manage over 30 mpg, i average between 25-28 mpg in mine and thats a bit of town driving followed by a bit of steady 60mph driving and the odd squirt (BIG squirts mind :wink:). I only get over 30mpg if travelling a bit of a distance at constant (ish!) speeds.

Do you reset your MFA a lot or do you let it work your average out for a whole tank? I leave mine to work the average out for a whole tanke from full to empty and i get the figures i mentioned above. Its quite nice to flick over to MFA setting 1 occassionally though just to see it saying high figures briefly :lol:

I average 30mpg, car gets spanked regularly too. 35 miles each way to work, sat at 80 to 90 I see 33 or 34 mpg. Pretty good really.

I average 30mpg, car gets spanked regularly too. 35 miles each way to work, sat at 80 to 90 I see 33 or 34 mpg. Pretty good really.

Yeah tbh i spank mine all the time ... i give the car a good thrash occassionally as well :lol: sorry i'll get my coat :(

Seriously though, i do thrape mine at every given opportunity and i only travel 10 miles to work and 10 miles back which like said is a bit of town, a few miles at 60 and then back through a village so i stop and start a little bit and only really drive it at a settled speed for a few mins and then i turn off and give it the beans again before entering the village where i work so i think getting 28mpg which i am at the min is pretty good. Although im sure thats all going to change when i supercharge it :roll:

I work it out the old fashioned way (miles travelled against litres put in) and the 33mpg is achievable if driven sedately (in a standard car). That's 500 miles to a tank :-)