Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

ABS!!

Please help! my ABS light is coming on, at first it was occasionally and now it is permanently on. when i drive the car there is a funny 'cer-clunk cer-clunk' noise coming from the footwell and it feel as if the break pedal is moving slightly at the same time i hear noise!

does anyone know what it is and how it can be fixed?

cheers

can't drive the car on the road it isnt UK registered yet so thats the first problem with testing theory and would a bad sensor cause that clunking noise in the footwell and the break pedal movement?

just seeing if i can fix probs before taking it for the MOT ehile i have time on my hands!

what you can do is...unplug each wheel sensor,the fronts are on the turrets and the rears are under the back seat...test each one with a ohm meter they should all read the same

you can also try to clean the sensor tip...some people claim a good blast with a jet washer does the trick..or white spirit on a rag

i take it the fuse is ok?

other than that its time to start replacing stuff

With the clunking noise it sounds most likely that the wheel sensor is fouling on it's sensor ring. Does the clunk equate to a once-per-revolution type sound?

i dont think the clunking is on each revolution. it seemed to be only at low speed more than anything and when i turn the wheel.

the last time i had the wheels off i noticed that the screws that hold the discs onto the hub have sheared off. would that make a difference??

i wouldn't have thought so cos they are held tight when the wheels are on.

the last time i had the wheels off i noticed that the screws that hold the discs onto the hub have sheared off. would that make a difference??

i wouldn't have thought so cos they are held tight when the wheels are on.

no that should make no difference whatsoever........my pass.side one has been just held on by the wheel and bolts for well over a year without any problems........no wheel wobble or any brake problems yet :wink:

to test sensors

ohms resistance across the 2 wires from the sensor

ohms from each sensor wire to earth

ac current across 2 wires from sensor, spin wheel fast and you should get a reading, it will vary with speed.

test all first

also give me all details of car and will see if any known faults for you

need chassis number, year and engine code

also could be power relay, warped disc, damaged sensor or ring, wheel bearing, loose wheel bolts, cv joint.

it might be something else and the abs is just warning you

I just fixed my ABS last week, the light was on, so I checked (as advised on here) the resistance across the sensors, one read 1k ohm, the other into the millions so I changed the high one, and it works perfectly now :D

took 2 hours to do though, this mostly being due to not having the tools to remove the discs and calipres at work, had to do this cos the old sensor wouldn't come free, had to knock it through from the other side.

Thera