Sign in to follow this  
dirtytorque

what makes the 1.8T so tuneable ???

in a very short explanation, they're a turbo engine made by audi. They have 5 valves per cyl so the heads flow reasonably well too.

you should prob do some research to be honest, HUGE amounts of info out there on these engines.

sorry I can't type it all out for you!

J

Mostly all in the head design as already mentioned.

5 valves per cylinder = lots of flow.

Think they can flow as much as a race tuned 16v head as standard, more air in = more fuel to burn = more power.

Plus they make many torques from fairly low down the rev range (Mines making 205 torques@1950Rpm) and fairly easy to tune! A £400 remap will put mine round the 230-240bhp figure, I could spend that much on my old 16V and get 10-15bhp increase :(

yeah..

A friend of mine has a 1.8T golf and he said that stock it was 150bph but after a re-tune its now putting out ~250.

Amazing that you can get that many more ponies from just a re-map.

yeah..

A friend of mine has a 1.8T golf and he said that stock it was 150bph but after a re-tune its now putting out ~250.

imo, VW engines are way underuned as standard so it's not surprising.

plus with a turbo, 50hp is almost as easy as a flick of a switch, generally speaking.

1.8T was the first really reliable mainstream turbocharged engine, bringing the turbo to the masses.

As stated above, anything with a turbo can be tuned to anywhere within the limits of the turbo's output for just the price of changing the program in the ECU, but until the 1.8T came out, the only turbo engines available were either after-market bodge jobs, or highly strung ultra-powerful beasts in exotic cars (in general). While turbo-diesels have been popular for decades (due to the pathetic power output of a standard diesel engine), petrol engines didn't generally need it.

Essentially the trick was that VAG saw that there was a demand for a relatively low tuned, relatively low stressed turbo engine, using the turbo to fill in the torque curve, rather than with the sole aim of pushing silly performance figures. Ok, in 225 bhp form from a 1.8 that's not "low tune", but the 150bhp 1.8T is pretty unstressed and very reliable as a result, but has an extremely flat torque delivery that's just not possible without a turbo.

Perhaps VAG just noticed that SAAB had been doing the same thing for years and pushed it to the VAG crowd? So perhaps I should really say "first big-selling mainstream turbocharged petrol engine, bringing the turbo to the masses"..

it is hard to generalise a topic such a this when there is so much to write about!

In general, I'd say that 100hp per litre in a turbo engine and 70-80hp per litre in a n/a engine were a good tune. Anything under can be improived upon (with no dount some exceptions!)

yeah..

Take it your thinking of 1.8T'ing your G60 instead of rebuilding it??????

yeah..

Take it your thinking of 1.8T'ing your G60 instead of rebuilding it??????

Lol...

No.

As crazy as that seems.

I was just curious.

Anyway I've already bought my 2 litre block.

:)

1.8T was the first really reliable mainstream turbocharged engine, bringing the turbo to the masses.

Reliable's a stretch to far!!! I'll never have anything with a 20V again, rough, nasty engine note, no top end power. Very overrated.

Reliable's a stretch to far!!! I'll never have anything with a 20V again, rough, nasty engine note, no top end power. Very overrated.

Mine Goes like Fook, sounds Awesome and pulls like a train at the top end! Think you must've had a wrong 'un!

Reliable's a stretch to far!!! I'll never have anything with a 20V again, rough, nasty engine note, no top end power. Very overrated.[/quote:b4358]

why is reliable a stretch too far?

i know a few people with the conversions done and not one of them has a complaint - if anything its the mapping thats causing a few issues not the engine itself

Quite - in standard trim they are nothing if not reliable. I know that a lot of people feel they're lacking a bit of soundtrack (particularly compared to the VR snarl), but they *are* reliable.

Maf problem, coilpacks, radiator leaks, coolants temp sensor failures, Divertor valves splitting, N249 valves fail, splitting boost hoses, clapsing turbo intake pipes, intercooler hoses popping off, water pumps spitting plastic everywhere, blocked oil feed pipes the list goes on. If you think there trouble free you haven't owned one.

Maf problem, coilpacks, radiator leaks, coolants temp sensor failures, Divertor valves splitting, N249 valves fail, splitting boost hoses, clapsing turbo intake pipes, intercooler hoses popping off, water pumps spitting plastic everywhere, blocked oil feed pipes the list goes on. If you think there trouble free you haven't owned one.

Yeah, heard about plastic water impeller blades and turbo pipes collapsing...did you not get these uprated?

Plus, who did your work? I'd like to avoid them! :D (jokes)

Yeah, heard about plastic water impeller blades and turbo pipes collapsing...did you not get these uprated?

Plus, who did your work? I'd like to avoid them! :D (jokes)[/quote:3efb3]

My work is all done by awesome who are brilliant, in fact if you book in for a cam belt they automatically replace the tensioners and water pump. Thats how common is it. Samething with the clutch, they replace the troublesome dual mass flywheel and slave cylinder too. :lol:

Was chatting with some folks about this at the Summer Scorcher. Vaguely remember Karl saying you could pick up an engine for a few magic beans, and put it in yourself. The expensive bit was getting it all connected, particularly the computer, etc. Was surprised how cheap this sounded though. My 2.0 16v just doesn't have the pace I need!!!

Ok, well maybe the 1.8T has a few common faults ... but what engine doesn't .. :)

Correct, I haven't owned one, but a mate did 60k miles in a brand new A3 1.8T (180bhp) with nothing other than the bad batch of coil packs being replaced. (On the engine at least .. )

surely every engine has it common faults. i think quite a few issues on that list can be resolved by replacing std parts with more robust items. when i think of the issues i've had with G60s...

A20_Lee, yeah Awesome are good, sucksthat you had problems with yours though :/

Agreed that no engine is perfect: there will always be engines that someone is finishing on a friday night that aren't quite put together how they should be :(