mondy

Mondys Nugget Yellow G60 - 1.9 Rebuild

Hi,

I've been a member on here for a while now and owned a couple of G60's so thought it was about time I put a few pictures up.

Here's a couple of pictures I took when I first bought it:

CIMG0891.jpg

CIMG0892.jpg

Unfortunately a problem with my car meant the pistons melted :( This was even more annoying as I'd only just replaced all the exhaust valves (200 miles ago) after the crankshaft pulley came loose!

Anyway there was a slight bit of damage to the bores so I've decided to get some oversized pistons to take it up to 1.9L.

I'm hopefully going to use this gallery so I've got a record of what I've done and provide a bit of motivation to myself as I go along!

Here's a few pictures as I took the engine out:

CIMG0255.jpg

CIMG0256.jpg

CIMG0260.jpg

My brothers dogs inspecting the engine bay :)

CIMG0261.jpg

Engine removed ready for stripdown

CIMG0263.jpg

Block all stripped down ready for cleaning

CIMG1213.JPG

Block steam cleaned

CIMG1225.JPG

Now I've just got to get the engine bay cleaned up a little bit - maybe get it painted although I can't decide yet.

All the replacement parts are ordered from Bahnbrenner so all being well they should arrive by next weekend.

I'm hoping to get it all running ready for edition 38 but we'll see how realistic that is in a couple of weeks.

Anyway that's enough of my ramblings for now!

Ain't Really a G60 anymore though :)

Yeah good point!I think the title is long enough already though :)

I've cleaned a bit of the passenger inner wing now. It looks loads better but unfortunately there's damage to the paint where the airbox has rubbed it.

Before:

CIMG1229.jpg

After:

CIMG1233.jpg

Well I've finally made a bit of progress at last!

Got a couple of bits sand blasted:

CIMG1238.jpg

Unfortunately the sand blasting showed up a couple of repeairs that need doing to the radiator support and radiator fan cowling as they've rusted through in a couple of places. Once that's done they've got to go back to be powder coated - been quoted £45 for those 3 pieces (including the sand blasting!) so I've decided I'm going to get all the suspension parts done now!

I also received all of the engine bits I ordered - just waiting for a few suspension bushes now but at least I can finally get on with rebuilding the engine.

CIMG1241.jpg

CIMG1245.jpg

Looks like I'm going to have a busy weekend!

I didn't get time to get anything done to the engine over the weekend but I did manage to get the subframe off the car tonight.

CIMG1247.jpg

I'll be taking it to the powder coaters on Friday (hopefully) to get it cleaned up and coated.

keep up the good work :)

Cheers! I'm off work starting tomorrow for 2 weeks so there should hopefully be lots of progress to report soon - I'm aiming to get it running for the end of next week, run it in over a couple of days and then get the megasquirt properley mapped at the end of the week.

Good work!

You're running Megasquirt then? Which suirt did you go for MSI or II. Are you fitting a wideband to do a bit of auto-tuning?

You should see some good power with the brenner and 1.9 bottom end. Do you have a target bhp in mind?

Good work!

You're running Megasquirt then? Which suirt did you go for MSI or II. Are you fitting a wideband to do a bit of auto-tuning?

You should see some good power with the brenner and 1.9 bottom end. Do you have a target bhp in mind?

I'm running MS1 extra - I got it pre-built as I wasn't too confident on putting it together myself - I wish I had now as it doesn't look too bad and would have worked out a bit cheaper!

I'm using an LM-1 as the wideband but couldn't get the MS auto-tune to work properley on it so did all the tuning with megalogviewer which seemed to make really good job of it!

I was running it for a couple of months and had it tuned up relatively OK and then I put the Lysholm on it and backed the fuel off a bit around the cruise areas but think I went a little overboard as I reckon that's what killed the pistons! I also hadn't managed to get the timing map sorted which didn't help either

I ran the car at the last stealth RR day and it made around 240bhp with a glader and standard bottom end so I'm hoping that it should be somewhere between 250-260 once all these changes are done...

Fair play. So you reckon you were running too lean then? Did you have the LM-1 fitted at the time?

Talking to CrazyDave on Saturday and he recommended the MSII. He said its much faster and has bigger tables, so it might be worth looking into. I'm pretty sure its reasonably cheap (20 quid ish) so might be a worthwhile upgrade as it just plugs in in place of the HC908. I originally went for MSI, but after that conversation I'm going to get the MSII chip I think.

I ran the car at the last stealth RR day and it made around 240bhp with a glader and standard bottom end so I'm hoping that it should be somewhere between 250-260 once all these changes are done...

what state of tune was that in then mate?

Had you had head work carried out on it?

Fair play. So you reckon you were running too lean then? Did you have the LM-1 fitted at the time?

Talking to CrazyDave on Saturday and he recommended the MSII. He said its much faster and has bigger tables, so it might be worth looking into. I'm pretty sure its reasonably cheap (20 quid ish) so might be a worthwhile upgrade as it just plugs in in place of the HC908. I originally went for MSI, but after that conversation I'm going to get the MSII chip I think.

It was only about 16.0 on cruise which isn't too bad but it was around 14.7 before I leaned the map off. I think the real killer was way too much advance which became apparent after I'd altered the fuel. I've learnt my lesson now though and will be getting a KnockSense and making up an EGT gauge if I do any more tuning myself :)

The tables in MSII are 12x12 whereas they're 8x8 in the MS1. It depends if you really need the etra resolution or not. MS interpolates (sp) between the gaps so I'm personally not too bothered about the extra cells. The reason I went with MS1 was because of the extra code it has - stuff like the shift light, traction control etc. I've not been keeping up to date with the MSII extra they're working on but I think that will be worth upgrading to when it's released!

what state of tune was that in then mate?

Had you had head work carried out on it?

It had a ported and flowed head/manifold/throttle body, FMIC, a different cam (which unfortunately was snapped in half when the crank pulley bolt broke :(), exhaust and probably a couple of other things which I've forgotten about now!

Looking good. Do you know the reason for the piston(s) failing?

Keep the pics coming!

I think they failed because of too much ignition advance.

Also, if anyone is interested in getting their megasquirt tuned on a rolling road it might be worth checking that your local tuner will do it - I've phoned about 4 so far and 2 flat out refused to do it and the other 2 didn't want to do it but said they would under duress!

Anyway on Friday I shot blasted the block and took it to my local machinist to get it rebored and also stripped the cylinder head down so I can get the new valves fitted- I forgot my camera though so haven't got any photos! I also took all the suspension parts to be powder coated.

I didn't do much on Saturday but today I've took the brake servo off so that I can repaint it - not a very exciting picture though :)

CIMG1263.jpg

Next job on the list is to take a look at the wiring and see if I can make any of it neater!

I think they failed because of too much ignition advance.

I'm just beggining to look into MS.

Were you using MS for fuel and spark?

I was just wondering how knock sensing is handled.

I'm really sorry to hijack your post like this but it seems a relevant time to ask.

cheers.

I'm just beggining to look into MS.

Were you using MS for fuel and spark?

I was just wondering how knock sensing is handled.

I'm really sorry to hijack your post like this but it seems a relevant time to ask.

cheers.

That's fine - if you have any questions I'll try and help, if only to tell you what not to do :)

Yeah MS was handling both fuel and spark. Most people seem to tune it without any form of knock detection and just wait until they hear knock and then retard a few degrees. Only problem is that you have to be sure that you can hear it over the road/engine noise. Also, by the time you're hearing it it could possibly be too late as it's probably been happening for quite a while before it gets loud enough!

MS extra can tap into a knock sensor output and then use that to retard the timing automatically if it detects knock - have a search for Knocksense as this seems to be what most people recommend using. However, I'd also get some sort of exhaust gas temperature sensor rigged up as well so you can kep an eye on the exhaust temps - MS extra can log this but it won't do anything with the results (ie change timing/mixture etc).

I'm finally making a bit of progress instead of just taking things off it! For the last couple of days I've been learning to weld so that I can repair the front radiator mounting as it had a few rust holes in. This is now done and has been taken to the powder coaters. While I was there I picked up the subframe, wishbones, anti-roll bar and front crossmember back - I'm well impressed with the results:

CIMG1265.jpg

I'm not sure if the colour is to everyones taste but it's different and I'm hoping it will look OK once it's on the car - if not then at least it's not very noticable :) All this only cost £50 including sandblasting it all first which seems a bargain!

Tommorrow's job is to try to get the radiator cowling repaired a little as that's also a bit rusty in places, then get the subframe fitted back on so I can move the car to where the welder is as I need to do a little bit of work where the battery goes as there's a couple of small holes in the top of the inner wing.

Where did you go for your powder coating?

I was going to ask the same thing :lol:

It was a place called M and R Refinishing in Nottingham. I really can't recommend them highly enough - they're really pleasant and do a good job at a good price! I think they're more geared towards commercial stuff but this means they can handle the larger car parts easily.

Anyway I got the subframe, wishbones and anti-roll bar put together (the bolts in the wishbones are just there to keep them in place for now):

CIMG1267.jpg

Got a few more parts shot blasted and painted today:

Engine mount:

CIMG1272.jpg

Gearbox Mount:

CIMG1273.jpg

Alternator bracket:

CIMG1274.jpg

I did the two power steering pump brackets and the power steering pump but forgot to take pictures of them!

I also cleaned up the dip stick tube and the metal plate that goes behind the cam belt:

Before:

CIMG1279.jpg

After:

CIMG1282.jpg

That's looking superb! I like the colour for the subframe. That's something I never would have thought of doing. And that really was a good price for the work. Lovin the thread so far. :thumbleft: