Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

After market Exhausts and Lowered C's How to make it work!!

Have you had problems with your aftermarket Exhaust and lowered suspension  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had problems with your aftermarket Exhaust and lowered suspension

• Standard exhaust And Suspension
    • No aftermarket exhaust
    • Not lowered
    • No
    • Yes

For months my exhaust has been hitting the back axel on my C (cos its lowered). I'd tried most things to sort it, new rubbers, powerflex rubbers (not that much Cop, were okay, made the problem easier to live with but not a complete solution).

Anyway over the weekend i took my C to a nice english garage out here in spain and the mechanic and i spent four hours pissing around with it all.

I went to Ford (yes Ford) to buy some new exhaust clamps (if was near and only place open), which to my supprise were the best i've seen anywhere, we clamped the exhaust up bit by bit and spot welded it when it was all correct. We are now just going to put the original rubbers back on as the powerflex ones are a bit floppy now. the result of it all is and exhaust pipe that is now firm on its mountings and not floating around like god knows what.

we are making and extra mount for the back box as the one at the tip of the box is only one sided, so we are going to make a two sideone one in an effort to stop the twisting. We also are still trying to make the exhaust tip centered in the exit in the bumper.

the result now is a silent ride and im happy. I know a few C owners have had problems with their aftermarket exhaust and them not well, or should i say was not working well with lowered C's.

I had the opposite problem, Janspeed exaust that sits too high and is practically stuck to the floor of the car. Managed to make up some mounts out of thick conveyer belt rubber stuff and put these over the original mounts to hold it down a bit. Only problem now is the exaust tip is pretty far from the bumper and people are always saying to me they think my exaust is coming off. :x

mine has been fine.. only problem i have is the single mount at the back... it needs two. i did a quick fix with some universal gas tank strapping.

from the street it looks great, doesn't shake over bumps and is centered in the opening at the back.

from under the car it looks like crap.. so i will put up a new mount when i redo the exhaust. :D

heres a tip.....

when replacing your exhaust, go to one of these places that makes it up on the car from stock parts. thats what i did, no fitting problems, choose your own tailpipe, also choose the sound you want, all in stainless for the same price as a magnex.

job done!!!

jim

I had a powerflow exhaust made as the Magnex i had previously kept knocking on the trailing arm not where it bends over the trailing arm but the back of the centre box kept hit the arm. I tried several times to have it adjusted but in the end I opted for the full custom made zorst which is by far the best exhaust I ve ever had and it cost a fraction more than the magnex but I had a de cat pipe fitted as well and had it made to what what I wanted it to sound like!! Sounds awesome!! Well happy!!!

I had the same problem with my Miltek hitting the back axle too.

I stoppped the noise by ty-wraping a small section of rubber around the

axle and it stopped the noise completely. I've had the same piece of

rubber on for 4 years now and it still doesn't need replacing...

Paul

I had the same problem with my Miltek hitting the back axle too.

I stoppped the noise by ty-wraping a small section of rubber around the

axle and it stopped the noise completely. I've had the same piece of

rubber on for 4 years now and it still doesn't need replacing...

Paul

i think my milltek is doing the same too paul..........i was going to leave it til i was down at the rolling-road day and get star to have a look,as mine seems to have moved slightly form being centred at the cut-out in the bumper....but if you want to have a look for me let me know

I've done the same thing as Pau1 - heat-proof rubber cable tied to back axle. I bit ghetto, but hey it works :p They were having a good laugh at it when I took the C for a 4 wheel alignment on Saturday :oops:

Apparently a good fix for a saggy exhaust hanger is to re-enforce it with some cable ties as well :lol:

Cheers

Mark

I have a miltek fitted to mine and when i'm sitting at traffic lights it seems to be rattling on something, not sure what yet, but the back axle could be the culprit.

I brought all new rubbers for mine, hang the zorst welded up and re-aligned, then stuck with two of the oem handers for the second box and powerflex ones for the back box, works at treat now.

mine exhaust is fine. never catches bangs, clanks or whatever you like. fit is great n sound is good too.

suspension is not too bad. supersport coilovers.

even fully loaded its fine. no new rubbers n that. just run it in n jobs a goodun. had to remove one of the heat shields as it rattled at low revs

Just stuck my head under mine and found its no where near the axle at all!! My heatshield is broken and sitting on top of the centre box, and the car is too low to get under! :( Though my backbox does try and move to the left alot! (its melting through my bumper and the rubber hanger :x ! will the uprated hangers cure this? As i dont want it to fall off during the 500 mile trek to inters this year! :wink:

hi there,

my rado isnt lowered,but its got a huge Laser back box on it,sit perfectly when looking at it.but i find when theres a load in the boot or people in the back that it rattles.not sure if its the floorpan or the axel,does anyone kno?had a look at its sitting slightly closer to the axel than floorpan,but not checked it when theres load in car.