Sign in to follow this  
Jim

2.0 16v Coolant Gremlins (flashing lights, etc)

Hi folks,

Ongoing problems with keeping a sealed cooling system on my car mean that I need to drain the coolant AGAIN to fit new top and bottom radiator hoses. Problem is i've now done radiator releated jobs so many times i'm just flat out refusing to have to buy new coolant again. It was only changed last two weeks ago and has been flushed about 6 times this year so the system is nice and clean! I wanna drain it all out and filter it (coffee filters) and put it back in again but the problem is that every time i've changed my coolant its just gone EVERYWHERE.. I normally disconnect the bottom hose from the radiator end rather than the waterpump end and consequently it spills out of two different areas, along the rad support panel and all over the garage floor...

Does anyone have a tip on how I can easily drain it and concentrate the flow into a small vessel like a washing up bowl?

I'm guessing the best way is to do it from the waterpump end instead.

Ta!

I did mine last week.

Bottom hose worked for me - as soon as it is disconnected, I bent the hose down towards the bowl - this kinked the hose to a dribble. Let the rad empty out then freed off the kinked hose.

Seemed to work well with minimal loss.

Coffee filter & jobs a goodun.

Just wipe down all the likely surfaces before you start to reduce contamination.

I used a shallow plastic crate type thing rather than a washing up bowl - fitted in under the axle stands nicely.

Cool. Thanks for that.

Think its finally time to pick up a jack and some axle stands too. I just looked on Machine Mart and you can get an entry level clarke jack for £15 and axle stands for the same. That'll do! :)

me too jim, had the thermo switch out of the rad again to try too stop it leaking (GSF crap rad), new seal and PTFE tape and it still does it a bit, getting sick of re-filling the coolant, need to finally splash out on a VAG rad I think.

I did actually buy a VAG rad thinking the GSF one was to blame for my leaking problems but it turns out that the hoses must be past it despite there being no splits as coolant is still dribbling out.

Additionally despite fitting a BRAND NEW VAG expansion tank, when the car is cold in a morning, no matter HOW MUCH COOLANT is in that damn bottle the light flashes on the dash. Why would this be?!

Think I also need to get a new fan switch just so I can completely rule that out of being leaky too as I think its still letting a bit out.

I'm sick of it. Sick of the flashing light on the dash when I drive it every day. Sick of the puddle of coolant under the car on a morning and sick of no amount of cash being thrown at what should be a simple problem fixing the f*cking thing!

*leaps out of nearest window, Father Jack style*

When I changed a lot of my cooling system the other week, I found the coolant red light in the dash would not go off.

I suspected the Waxoyl I had taken the opportunity to spread about when the front of the car was off had got onto the terminal that plugs into the radiator. Sure enuf, after spraying both ends of the electrical connection with electrical cleansing aerosol, light went out when it should have.

Thereafter I cleaned all terminals (lights, foglights, indicators, etc) that had been disconnected with the spray and everything lit up as expected.

Good luck with whatever it is, Jim.

That could well be an explanation for the problem Craigowl. My radiator fan switch has been.. er.. 'attacked' with a hacksaw in a previous life for some reason so the plastic connector protecting the pins has been removed (for what reason I know not) meaning that it might not be getting the protection it needs, possibly from coolant leaking over it?

I'll take a butchers at it when I do the whole job. You might have just saved me from going insane! :)

Jim, not sure how relevant but same with my old Golf Cab (switch in expansion tank top).. apparently if teh system "over pressurises" (sp) then coolant leaks up through the switch and into the wiring...

Like I said just a thought..

Ugh. Reading around on Club GTI (as they seem to discuss valver engines a LOT) and I keep seeing the dreaded "head gasket" being mentioned in relation to an overpressurised cooling system.

That, combined with occasional "coughs" of white smoke on a spluttery start on a morning and the time I found some oil in my expansion tank...

Ugh. Reading around on Club GTI (as they seem to discuss valver engines a LOT) and I keep seeing the dreaded "head gasket" being mentioned in relation to an overpressurised cooling system.

That, combined with occasional "coughs" of white smoke on a spluttery start on a morning and the time I found some oil in my expansion tank...

Headgasket not that big a job Jim, should be able to get it done in a day easily. You could do the valve stem oil seals too while the head is off and maybe a bit of light porting.

Yeah mate - I appreciate that but its just relentless at the minute. I'm desperate to get my suspension done, and my front wheel bearings which I had done just over a year ago are on the way out again. I just don't know what to prioritise and am fed up of sinking cash into this b*stard car!

Still - if I felt brave I do have the Passat Haynes manual.. have to tackle it myself! LOL! Me! Doing a headgasket!! Maybe one for the 'team' if they felt so inclined to help out.

Apparently you can get the cooling system pressure tested - that can identify if the HG is fubar. As well as the compression test obviously...

I wouldn't worry about it too much... Wasn't the tank new the other day? You can have the coolant tested to see if it's had exhaust gas in it, but if you've been draining it out and putting back in, it could be contaminated and give a false reading. Does your system actually pressurise, can you still squeeze the pipes when it's hot? I'd not concentrate on the head as being a problem at the moment. Look at the wiring first, maybe try anther tank.. I could bring one to lend you to the stealth rr day if you would like.

I could buy (another) new one from VAG and see how that works, then resell it on here if it turns out not to be the problem (and take the duff one back for a refund) - for the sake of the loss of a few quid, i'm sure someone would want a nice shiny new expansion tank! :)

Hm.

Well I bridged the pins on the expansion tank connector plug with a paper clip this morning but still the same flashy light. I turn on the ignition (but not start the car) and wait about 15 seconds then it begins to flash.

Next step is a new radiator fan switch thingy when I buy new upper and lower radiator hoses. If that doesn't fix it.. well then i'm open to suggestions!

Continuing the research on Club GTI I found another interesting post by non other than Riley from on here..

He mentioned that if you've got any clocks 'gremlins' then its worth replacing the voltage stabiliser in the clocks.. interestingly as well as this nonsense with the temp gauge, last week the middle LED above my speedo stopped working. I assumed the bulb had gone but strangely after about a week of not wanting to know, its suddenly lit up again and working like nothing ever happened. Go figure.

I think I might order one whilst in getting my water hose bits and pieces!

Continuing the research on Club GTI I found another interesting post by non other than Riley from on here..

He mentioned that if you've got any clocks 'gremlins' then its worth replacing the voltage stabiliser in the clocks.. interestingly as well as this nonsense with the temp gauge, last week the middle LED above my speedo stopped working. I assumed the bulb had gone but strangely after about a week of not wanting to know, its suddenly lit up again and working like nothing ever happened. Go figure.

I think I might order one whilst in getting my water hose bits and pieces!

Hmmm. That's interesting... perhaps that is an issue that I am having then.

Part number is 357 919 893 and according to ETKA will cost about £8...