Sign in to follow this  
Rocket Ron

Injector Cleaners

use forte gas treatment. Used by the trade so you cant buy from shops. Have a look on ebay its by far the cheapest source.

Despite the 'chav' name powerboost foam does work well.

I noticed an improvement in bottom end, low RPM torque after using it and it certainly kicked some crud out of the exhaust.

That stuff just removes the oil residue from the tips of the injectors, intake manifold, throttle plate and idle valve as you blast it in. That alone is enough to make the engine feel a little less lethargic at low rpms. It's also said to soften and remove carbon build ups from piston crowns, which is very far fetched, but then again, so are petrol maker's claims of the same thing ;-)

I tried that powerboost stuff in my stock VR and then immediately afterwards shone a torch into the bores......still caked in carbon :lol:

You're right about the crud coming out of the exhaust though, but sadly that is just the product burning off and not 'deposits' being removed from the engine as people hope.

Injector cleaner won't help a shagged injector. Modern fuels are nowhere near as dirty and crap as they used to be and injectors don't get tarnished and gummed up like they used to. The stock VR injectors are pence from the states and I'd sooner replace them than pour chemicals through them.....personally speaking ;-)

Indeed. I think new injectors are where it is at.. something i've been thinking about doing to mine for a while, but if the product is a few quid, it is definately worth sticking it through.

Obviously it's more work than just sticking something in the fuel, but these chaps will clean and check your old injectors, and replace the pintle caps / o-rings / filters:

http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk/

I've used them on a couple of engines now, very quick service and cheaper than anyone else offering this.

hth,

--

Olly

Kev, whereabouts can you get new injectors from in the States?

I'm considering getting a set for my VR when I rebuild the engine... I'm pretty sure they must be getting tired now...

Funkster, good link. I might look at sending them there if I can't get a set of new ones for a reasonable price....

hi

this is going to be a bit vague..... im sure ive read somewhere that maplins sell an ultra sonic cleaning machine thing for "cleaning jewelry" and im wondering if it will work on injectors too! as i recall people sending injectors and things away to be "ultrasonically cleaned" if my memory recalls!...im probably wrong ,if i remember the machine wasnt very expensive

andy

You can get ultrasonic baths - they are used to clean crud off metallic components - just don't stick your fingers in when they are on!!

The injectorcleaning people use a combination of ultrasonic and solvents, and they have a special rig to pulse the injectors so the cleaning power gets all round the pintles, not just to the outside as they would if you just stuck the injectors in a cleaning bath.

I did wonder about setting up to do it myself but it turns out it's a fairly involved process :o)

hth,

--

Olly

hi

this is going to be a bit vague..... im sure ive read somewhere that maplins sell an ultra sonic cleaning machine thing for "cleaning jewelry" and im wondering if it will work on injectors too! as i recall people sending injectors and things away to be "ultrasonically cleaned" if my memory recalls!...im probably wrong ,if i remember the machine wasnt very expensive

andy

Tis true.. they sell an ultrasonic bath for £25 but as Funkster says, its a bit more involved than a surface clean and goes right inside and does flow testing, etc.. I think an ultrasonic clean does produce results but nothing like what a professional clean / test or ultimately new injectors will.

Kev, whereabouts can you get new injectors from in the States?

I'm considering getting a set for my VR when I rebuild the engine... I'm pretty sure they must be getting tired now...

I get most things through the Schimmels as they're quick and trustworthy. I haven't worked out the flow rate of the stock water pistols yet, but I think they're around 240cc. Once that info is known, it's just a case of cross referencing it against some yank tanks that used those squirters and buying them in. For example, the infamous 'red tops' people paid through the nose for for their supercharger VR6s are nothing more than Ford Mustang injectors.....$200 for a set of 8 new. Funny how the red tops supplied to the UK market by VF Engineering had the part numbers filed off and cost £350ish for 6 :?

Anyway, if you can get a part number off a stock squirter, I can do the rest.

Anyway, if you can get a part number off a stock squirter, I can do the rest.

Heres the numbers of a stock item. (Bosch symbol) 485, and then on a seperate line 0 280 150 953.

I feel a group buy coming on :)

Cool thanks....

OK, they are 12.1 ohm, 210cc @ 3 bar and 240cc @ 4 bar.

Prices - Forget it. Seems this injector is only used in the VW VR6 and they charge the earth for them, globally. Using my trade pricing scheme from a certain US supplier, they are £322 for 6! God knows how much they'd be from this country.

I can't believe they cost that much. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

All is not lost though because I recommend these alternatives at £102 for 6 - http://www.racetronix.com/621046.html

I use the 440cc versions of the exact same injector and they are vastly superior to the Bosch anyway, in terms of noise, spray pattern and atomisation.

If you're going to replace them, that's what I'd use personally.

If you open the injectors with a battery (they only need/receive 1.5-2V) and spray the open injector with a can of carb cleaner and a tube attachment and see what teh flow pattern is like that will go a fair way to cleaning them up. I dont know if you could rig up the cleaning bath so that the injectors are opened and then cleaned ultrasonically?

Cool thanks....

Prices - Forget it. Seems this injector is only used in the VW VR6 and they charge the earth for them, globally. Using my trade pricing scheme from a certain US supplier, they are £322 for 6! God knows how much they'd be from this country.

All is not lost though because I recommend these alternatives at £102 for 6 - http://www.racetronix.com/621046.html

I use the 440cc versions of the exact same injector and they are vastly superior to the Bosch anyway, in terms of noise, spray pattern and atomisation.

Did anyone try these injectors? And why would I use 440cc rather than 240cc. Will they be less fuel efficient / significantly more powerful?

Cool thanks....

Did anyone try these injectors? And why would I use 440cc rather than 240cc. Will they be less fuel efficient / significantly more powerful?

take them to your local bosch service centre. i had my g60 injectors cleaned for £12.50 each :D much better than 60-70 each for new ones lol