Sign in to follow this  
waynos

megasquirt help needed (NEW VIDEO ADDED!)

its a bit daunting at first isnt it! if you get the same problem again dont let the pump run on for too long, cos if the injectors are open you will fill up the cylinders extremly fast! As you said give it a little throttle (i needed about 20 percent when i very first started - now i dont need any!)

if none of this works id try a different firmware.

oh n get a log when you try to start it next

its a bit daunting at first isnt it!

very.

no matter how much reading up u do b4 you still get that $hit i don't know what i'm doing feeling.

:)

thnks for tips.

Now wheres that fire extinguisher? :eek:

how did you get on mate? ive only just realised that my rev counter doesnt work was wondering if anyone knew how to wire it to work? currently the green wire( rev gauge ) from the clocks is going to the coil - as it did when it was kjet.

how did you get on mate? ive only just realised that my rev counter doesnt work was wondering if anyone knew how to wire it to work? currently the green wire( rev gauge ) from the clocks is going to the coil - as it did when it was kjet.

had to go to halfords and buy a battery charger. :(

I only gave it a couple of turns b4 it gave out.

coz i've been faffing about taking so long to get it all wired up over the last few weekends the battery has gone flat.

G60 clocks don't get its information from the ecu so i didn't have to worry about any of that so i'm not sure. :|

i'm tired..

cool, ive lost count how many times ive had to charge my battery! i know its bad but on one occasion i used the fast charge on my charger n the battery was good to go in an hour. Wouldnt do this too often though

Scanned through my logs and found a section where it registered some rpms.

As you can see the battery voltage falls down to 6 odd volts while cranking.

what version of logviewer are you using? it wouldnt open on mine, says there isnt a time column for this log so it cant play. would be good to see somebody elses log.

post up ur msq also so i can check that out

looks promising! battery is deffo flat though you only reached a cranking speed of 135. what is your cranking rpm set to in megatune? do you have your msq handy?

looks promising! battery is deffo flat though you only reached a cranking speed of 135. what is your cranking rpm set to in megatune? do you have your msq handy?

300 at the mo.

msq attatched.

map looks decent. in your ignition settings i would change your ignition capture too falling edge if you get a kickback whilst starting. had to do this on mine as ms inverts the signal it gets. Also you may need some afterstart enrichment if the engine starts but dies straight away. Try the defaults in the mega manual as a start. You have your prime pulse set to 0 ms id set it to 2 just to clear any air in the fuel system

map looks decent. in your ignition settings i would change your ignition capture too falling edge if you get a kickback whilst starting. had to do this on mine as ms inverts the signal it gets. Also you may need some afterstart enrichment if the engine starts but dies straight away. Try the defaults in the mega manual as a start. You have your prime pulse set to 0 ms id set it to 2 just to clear any air in the fuel system

whats a "kick back" mate?

kick back is when your ignition is too advanced whilst cranking. The fuel will ignite before the piston reaches tdc making the engine want to turn the worng way.It makes the starter work extremly hard and it can even break. You will know what i mean if it ever happens to you. It happened to me when my ignition was set to rising edge

ok,thnks

Well i had to think about packing up and going to bed but the fuel pump run on prob came back.

However when I connected the stim up to it if there was no rpm signal the pump led would light briefly and then go out??

I'm thinking maybe a short rather than firmware now?!

btw the car made a few splutters in an attempt to start b4 i finally gave up for the evening. :)

yea i d double check the wiring to rule that out. The behaviour you are getting on the stim is correct. When you first turn on ms the pump will run on for two seconds and if it doesnt see an rpm signal it shuts of the fuel pump until it sees rpm again. Have a look at your warmup enrichments you may need a bit more at certain temperatures . You could even try increasing the cranking pulswidths. Stick to one thing at a time though or you will go off track

Cheers dave! i went on it tonight to try and get the rev counter working, found out its the red/black wire not green . Started it up for the hell of it. let it warm up n gave it a few revs VRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOM TSSHHH aahhh dont you just love the sound of a dump valve! Just hearing that has put the biggest smile on my face. Tommorow if my mate is free we are going to map it on some quiet hills and roads. To think this time last week i was contemplating giving up, im sooooooo glad i didnt :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Oh yeh, it's the victory feeling! You built it, installed it and got it running, give yourself a big pat on the back. 8)

Not wanting to dampen your feel good factor or anything. But take it real easy with the mapping, make sure it's not pinking. Build yourself a knock detector. Otherwise known at a lump on copper pipe bashed flat, with a hole drilled in in screwed to the block. Put a length of tube onto it and run it into the car and then fit the other end to some old ear defenders. You'll be able to hear the det coming on and know your at the limit, come back 3-6 degrees.

The other thing you could do with is EGT, worth it's weight in gold.

well..

I seem to be getting noise on my tach signal as it is registering rpm even when the engine is not cranking.

this is the reason for the fuel pump run on.Its not running on Ms thinks the engine is running.

If I diss the hall sensor plug and then switch on the ignition the fp just primes briefly as it should and then goes quiet.

I tried makiing the tach lead smaller and that helped a bit but it is still noisy.

Just investigating a possible remedy on the megamanual site now actually.

It means I will have to access my board again and make some mods.

:roll:

I havn't even attempted to start it again as I want to solve this issue first as u can imagine.

Anyway good luck with your mapping.

Now the real fun begins eh?!!

No full throttle melt down now pls :wink:

i see i had a similar problem, used some sheiled cable from maplins n my troubles dissapeared. i know ive stil got a way to go but im almost there n its about time!

i see i had a similar problem, used some sheiled cable from maplins n my troubles dissapeared. i know ive stil got a way to go but im almost there n its about time!

It requires alot of patience and stamina dosn't it.

Uve done well to tuff it out.

yeah shielded cable is a very good idea.

I may even have some knocking about.

thnks.