Sign in to follow this  
waynos

megasquirt help needed (NEW VIDEO ADDED!)

Wayne, don't give up mate. Not been about this weekend so couldn't give you a hand.

I'll post you a reply later tonight....

the car really got me down last night, dont really wana have to get rid as ive spent so much in time and money!

been fiddling around trying to load different firmwares - tried 2.870 ,2.881 and 2.883 .They all loaded on properly but as soon as it came time to burn my settings it said voltage too low (im using the stim with a variable voltage wall plug set to 12) it did this on every firmware.looked on msefi forum and a few people have had this problem but not solved it. Ive flashed back to 2.687 and everything burns to it nicely so it looks like ill be sticking with that. Still unsure as to why the ms locked up whilst the car was running tho. took it all apart and looked for signs of a short and have nothing, since ive reloaded the code its been fine on the stim.

Im also baffled to why i need such a high req fuel. its set to 19.when its set to 22 its even better and i get a nice idle with an afr of about 13.5. The calculator sets it at a much lower value. The only thing i can think of is if my injectors arent what they say they are and dont really flow 325cc/min.

got them off ebay, refurbished standard cossie weber iw 044 injectors.im using an fse rising rate fpr set to about 3 bar or just over

got them off ebay, refurbished standard cossie weber iw 044 injectors.im using an fse rising rate fpr set to about 3 bar or just over

do you know what the fpr was on the cozzie?

Sorry for all the questions,just brain storming. :)

The only experience I've had with injectors off ebay has been a bad one. Rob (Heresites) had 8 injectors and most of them turned out to be faulty or spray patterns so bad that they were a bit like a chocolate teapot (ie not much good).

I'd check the spray patterns and make sure they are good before going any further. Get the fuel rail and injectors out and use the test function in MS into some jamjars. Just be careful and have an extinguisher ready.

Accel enrichment is pretty hard work, and by far the most difficult bit to get right on MS. I know exactly how your feeling right now Wayne, cos I've been through it on my motor. And a turbo motor is even harder to setup, because of the way the onset of boost changes the enrichment requirement.

Not enough enrichment will cause a stutter, but too much enrichment will cause the same. It's all a bit trial and error, but I'd try and get it working with TPS enrichment, but you will need MAP based enrichment cos your running a turbo. So a blend of booth will be needed.

The MegaManual explains this much better than I can, but if you get stuck take a break and think about something else for a bit, it takes some digesting. You'll be amazed at just how much you've learned when you do finally get through it.

Don't get too bogged down with the numbers, if it runs better with a bigger req_fuel, use it.

Where did you get your fuel rail from, cos I might get my MS setup on the valver to try and help out a bit more?

ive checked the injectors and they all have the same spray pattern, they seem to be fine it was just the fact ive got a high req fuel to get it going.i can get it idling really nice.seems to prefer to be around 13.5 afr that way its nice n smooth. i got the fuel rail off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-V ... enameZWDVW

it didnt take long to arrive either

ive checked the injectors and they all have the same spray pattern, they seem to be fine it was just the fact ive got a high req fuel to get it going.i can get it idling really nice.seems to prefer to be around 13.5 afr that way its nice n smooth. i got the fuel rail off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custom-V ... enameZWDVW

it didnt take long to arrive either

did you experience any clearance issues with it?

I think flusted said he had probs?!?

i never had clearance issues because i didnt use the fpr holder,made own bracket to hold it. its very well made, fits like a glove. you can still use the holder if you wish but you will need a 90 degree adaptor to turn it away from the bonnet. companies like pirtek will have this. i used two fittings from them along with two k-jet injector seals and its perfect, no leaks at all

right a little update. got some injectors winging their way to me, high impedance ones this time so i will see what difference this makes. got them from http://www.injectorcleaning.co.uk

Also found out something stupid about my frimware on ms. im using 2.687 it works the best for me so ive stuck with that. After i had that strange shutdown problem n reloading different firmwares, i put the old one back. I then thought id make a new msq file for it. all was good as it was pretty much the same as the old one (just filled in some sections that i hadnt previously). Plugged it all back into the car n turned the key! it would start n dies instantly. I knew my afterstart and warmup enrichments were correct as i had it running before. I came back indoors in a huff n compared the log to some of my old ones. noticed that the pulswidths in the new log dropped after cranking to 1.5 and wouldnt change.

i brought the ms in tonight n hooked it up to the stim. at cranking revs you would get your cranking pulsewidth but as soon as you went past this it would go to 1.5 and stay there no matter what revs it was at. strange! loaded on my old msq and all was good. So i went through each menu seeing what differed between the two maps. I found it! on the other fuel settings menu i had put in values for acceleration enrichment thresholds and this seems to have caused the problem. As soon as you remove the values everything is back to normal! I dont know whether this is a bug of some sort on the firmware im using. Just a heads up really if anyone else is planning on using ms

The injector cleaning place looks spot on! Looks like it's £12 per injector for a service, which is much better value than anywhere else I've ever seen. Good find!

MS does seem to do weird things every now and again. The MAPs get corrupted and it behaves strangely, but you re-flash everything (including the firmware) and away it goes again.

Think I might still give it a go on the valver, to see how things have moved on.

Has anybody got a throttle body with a position pot on it they don't want anymore?

i gave up on the cossie injectors, just bought a refurbished set they had for sale.they have quite a few more! they turned up today but i wasnt in so ill be down the post office early to get them!

hopefully this time tommorow i shall have a nice little update for you all lol fingers crossed

got the new injectors

newinjectors.jpg

the car stil needs a high required fuel to start but im not too fussed about that. Managed to get it to start without any throttle by messing with the cranking pulswidths. fuel pressure is at 3.2 bar now also. Ive stil got the problem trying to rev it. Log and msq below (change the end of the map file from .txt to msq)

good news at last!!!! i set up the fuel pressure regulator properly (see other thread in engine section) then i set my required fuel to what the calculator said. Turned the key and it fired up better than it ever did! The throttle stop has been wound back off so its almost closed and i also dont need to give it 20 percent throttle opening just to get it started! result!!! it now revs properly without any hesitation that i had before.

the tuning begins as from tommorow (weather a bit crap today)

heres my log and the updated msq (remember to rename the map file to .msq)

good news at last!!!! i set up the fuel pressure regulator properly (see other thread in engine section) then i set my required fuel to what the calculator said. Turned the key and it fired up better than it ever did! The throttle stop has been wound back off so its almost closed and i also dont need to give it 20 percent throttle opening just to get it started! result!!! it now revs properly without any hesitation that i had before.

the tuning begins as from tommorow (weather a bit crap today)

heres my log and the updated msq (remember to rename the map file to .msq)

:cheers: :dance:

Fantastic news dude :clap: :clap: :clap:

So, dodgy injectors was the cause then? Bet you are glad you didn't give up then?

i think the injectors were fine to be honest. i wanted use high impedance ones anyway so that isnt an issue. once i get paid i will be on the lookout for some 400cc or more. I think the hesitation was down to the fpr not being hooked up correctly! my required fuel is down to a nice 13.6ms rather than 22s!

hmmm...

just tried to start mine.

On the second attempt the fuel pump started to just run on like what happened to you.

i am using v2.88e :?

did you regress to an earlier firmware?

i had all sorts of problems with that firmware. im using version 2.687. if you go to http://www.diyautotune.com/softwarelinks.htm

download their tunning package, comes with the firmwares for each version.

Another thing why you may having this problem. did u set the ecu type in the general settings? you need to tell it wether its mega or micro squirt with the version you have

i had all sorts of problems with that firmware. im using version 2.687. if you go to http://www.diyautotune.com/softwarelinks.htm

download their tunning package, comes with the firmwares for each version.

Another thing why you may having this problem. did u set the ecu type in the general settings? you need to tell it wether its mega or micro squirt with the version you have

yeah,i've set the ecu type.

Just eating lunch to steel myself for a full on start my car on megasquirt session.

Then i'll go at it again.

I didn't try it with a little throttle so i'll try that aswell.

grrrr.