Sign in to follow this  
waynos

megasquirt help needed (NEW VIDEO ADDED!)

Oh yeh, it's the victory feeling! You built it, installed it and got it running, give yourself a big pat on the back. 8)

Not wanting to dampen your feel good factor or anything. But take it real easy with the mapping, make sure it's not pinking. Build yourself a knock detector. Otherwise known at a lump on copper pipe bashed flat, with a hole drilled in in screwed to the block. Put a length of tube onto it and run it into the car and then fit the other end to some old ear defenders. You'll be able to hear the det coming on and know your at the limit, come back 3-6 degrees.

The other thing you could do with is EGT, worth it's weight in gold.

I'd definitely second this advice! I thought I'd got mine running pretty well, the AFR's all looked good across the rev range but I just guessed at the timing and ended up melting pistons :( Well done in persevering and getting it running though, it makes it all the more sweeter when you actually take it for it's first 'proper' drive.

i see i had a similar problem, used some sheiled cable from maplins n my troubles dissapeared. i know ive stil got a way to go but im almost there n its about time!

It requires alot of patience and stamina dosn't it.

Uve done well to tuff it out.

yeah shielded cable is a very good idea.

I may even have some knocking about.

thnks.

I remember reading somewhere that if you use different earth points for the MS to the others in the vehicle, you can pick up noise? :scratch: Maybe? Boy, I need to get on the case with mine! :sad:

I remember reading somewhere that if you use different earth points for the MS to the others in the vehicle, you can pick up noise? :scratch: Maybe?

yeah,definetly worth consideration.

Boy, I need to get on the case with mine! :sad:

yes u do.

:wink:

Hopefully you will be able to learn from my bumbling so it will go smoother 4 u. :)

I remember reading somewhere that if you use different earth points for the MS to the others in the vehicle, you can pick up noise? :scratch: Maybe?

yeah,definetly worth consideration.

Boy, I need to get on the case with mine! :sad:

yes u do.

:wink:

Hopefully you will be able to learn from my bumbling so it will go smoother 4 u. :)

I'm hoping so! :tongue:

yea i earthed everything to the same point. theres a little earth point just behind the battery, thats where i stuck mine.

i think im pulling up to 5v using a 1k ohm resistor.hope this helps! got all the parts together tonight to make some det cans 8) if it goes well ill post some pics up

i think im pulling up to 5v using a 1k ohm resistor.hope this helps! got all the parts together tonight to make some det cans 8) if it goes well ill post some pics up

:)

are you going to wear them or are you going to bestow that honour to your co-driver?

sounds like a really good look. :afro:

lol well they are almost done, will put pics up on friday as i will be on the lash tommorow night hehe.i think ill me and my mate will take it in turns to wear them.ill post some pics of it too

lol well they are almost done, will put pics up on friday as i will be on the lash tommorow night hehe.i think ill me and my mate will take it in turns to wear them.ill post some pics of it too

:lol: :lol: you might want to wear ear plugs as well, it's pretty loud!

me and my mate just went out in it.det cans did their job! only went round the block a few times and found a lilttle bit of pinking on light throttle but thats been ironed out. gave it a little bit of beans to see if it pinked at higher revs and thank god it didnt. Im amazed at how powerful it is though, didnt expect it to be that fast!!! It didnt want to start after without throttle so i expect i need to adjust my hot afterstart enrichment.

how did you manage that mate? i heard that a helicoil can be used but i dont really have any knowledge about it.

how did you manage that mate? i heard that a helicoil can be used but i dont really have any knowledge about it.

I really don't know.

I took the plug out, and when i went to put it back in it just was very resistive.

Maybe when it was last installed it was x'd then.

I really don't know.

So did u get much tuning done?

id get looking downt the plaug hole with a torch and try to get a better look.if it looks ok try and put it back in slowly hand tight. Didnt really get much done today to be honest about half hour after my mate came it started to rain n the wheels were just spinning. Felt proper good though - the way the turbo comes in is awesome

ok.

I bought a spark plug thread chaser and that freed things up and the plug is back in the hole.Phew.

So i am back to getting the car started.

I have just had my best start.It ran on for about 10 seconds.

BUT!!!

At the time I had taken the fuel pump relay out so that I could clear the engine of fuel i.e it had flooded.

Sooo.. i am running too rich.

Back to the drawing board.

Wayne i hope you don't mind me using this post for my starting issues.If you would prefer for it not to get too cluttered pls just say and maybe i'll start my own.Or maybe a general MS thread or something.

Ta.

nah mate u carry on were all here to help each other after all! you are making some god progress.what figures do you have for afterstart enrichment? Was it definatly flooded?

EDIT: did u get a log?

nah mate u carry on were all here to help each other after all! you are making some god progress.what figures do you have for afterstart enrichment? Was it definatly flooded?

EDIT: did u get a log?

plugs were jet black and the tips were wet.

i think it was flooded.Anyway as soon as I took the plugs out and cleaned them off and then purged the fuel out of the system by running the ignition a couple of times with the fp relay disengaged it has been alot more consistent.I have been dialing down the wue and crank pulse widths so that the same thing dosn't keep happening.Garage stinks of fuel too. :shock:

My battery has died so now is a good time to stop.This last hour or so has given a bit of encouragement.

I'll post my logs/config in a sec.

to save doing that why dont you just use the flood clear mode? as long as your throttle is past the percentage you specify it wont inject any fuel. Look forward to seeing the log. By the way do you have wideband? When you get it running it will make things easier

to save doing that why dont you just use the flood clear mode? as long as your throttle is past the percentage you specify it wont inject any fuel. Look forward to seeing the log. By the way do you have wideband? When you get it running it will make things easier

flood clear is set at 70 %.

Im not using a TPS though.

I'll have to experiment to see if it works with mapDot.

log file is 5 meg,forum won't let me upload it.

:?

I'll have to sort it out tomorrow.as in today really as its Sunday now.

Need sleep.

later.

had a quick look at the logs, it seems that you dont get any warmup enrichment or afterstart enrichment after cranking. upon closer inspection your coolant temp ranges from 98 degress onwards (have you calibrated your coolant sensor? or had the car just been out on a run and is hot?) If you havent calibrated it that is why you arent getting the enrichments you need as MS thinks your engine is already hot and in turn wont apply the enrichments to keep the engine going. If you have calibrated the coolant temp and the car is that hot then your pulsewidths are very high for a hot start (should be around the 3 or 4 mark - or about 23 percent of your req fuel value)

i have some numbers for the g60 coolant sensor

0 deg c = 6000 ohms

25 deg c = 2000 ohms

100 deg c = 200 ohms

had a quick look at the logs, it seems that you dont get any warmup enrichment or afterstart enrichment after cranking. upon closer inspection your coolant temp ranges from 98 degress onwards (have you calibrated your coolant sensor? or had the car just been out on a run and is hot?) If you havent calibrated it that is why you arent getting the enrichments you need as MS thinks your engine is already hot and in turn wont apply the enrichments to keep the engine going. If you have calibrated the coolant temp and the car is that hot then your pulsewidths are very high for a hot start (should be around the 3 or 4 mark - or about 23 percent of your req fuel value)

i have some numbers for the g60 coolant sensor

0 deg c = 6000 ohms

25 deg c = 2000 ohms

100 deg c = 200 ohms

yeah i used the thermistor calibration tool???

where are you seeing high coolant temps?

In which log mate?

I am looking at it now and i'm seeing low tens.

Are you sure you wasn't looking at the MAP kpa readings?

Its flucking freezing outside. :eek:

whoops i do apologise! think last nights drinks have been taking their toll on my eyes.ill have a proper look now