Sign in to follow this  
wafers

Mk4 Golf S TDI - To buy or not to buy?

Got a mk3 140k golf tdi at mo, and have chance to buy mk4 with 180k on the clock. No history, but low number of owners, seems ok. It's the 90bhp model.

I used to have a mk4, and know that they are pretty different to the mk3. Just wondered if any of you guys owned high mile mark 4's and what the problems are with them - do they generally need work near the 200k mark? Basically, I need to know if it's worth getting shot of the scabby but reliable mk3 to replace it with a much tidier looking, but higher mileage mk4. It's a pretty good price too

Cheers!

Hm... its hard to say. The lack of history would concern me.

MK4's absolutely are NOT cheap to fix when they break. I know as I owned a MK4 GT TDI and things seemed to cost a lot more than the Corrado.

If the MK3 is scabby but running well, i'd personally say stick with it. Whilst the MK4's cabin is a much nicer place to spend time, its potentially a huge unknown with regards cost and overall condition...

... It's a pretty good price too

Cheers!

just IMO:

it would have to be, at 100k I would consider it, if the price was right and the car had a good record, the mk4 is a lovely comfortable car and many are well specced, but at nr 200k you really need to know your stuff when looking the car over, so much could be on it's last legs, mechanical and electrical.

I'd rather spend more money on one with fewer miles than have a car that you could spend a couple of grand on to keep on the road, sha99ed gearboxes, air-con, turbos and suspension components etc...

The 'S' wasn't a great spec from what I recall either, SE and above and preferably X plate on is what I'd be looking for, they also had fair few changes and improvements around then, not immediately obvious.

^ Deffo... a 180k MK4 won't be an upgrade and it's not a PD engine either....

MK4's also seem to go thru suspension components every 60k rather than 80-100k Like MK2's/3's but obviously it depends what has / hasn't been done...

Well, looks like it is hardly worth it. Cheers for the replies, will have to stick will the old mk3 til got in excess of £2k to play with then!

if you are really intrested you could ring VW with the reg number and see if they have any SH on it.... It might be of some use or none at all!!

The mk4 is a really nice golf, the non pd engines can still be chipped and made to be quite nippy, although I dont think i'd bother if its got 180k on it.. Out of interest how much is it? I wouldnt want to pay anymore than £1500 imho.