Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Does an ABF lump Fit corrados?

Hi all im new :D

Id like to buy a run around Corrado next year and have been checking prices of the

vr6/g60/16v ones.

I dont want a vr or g60 as i feel they wont be great everyday and i can fix 16v lumps myself. I see most the 16vs

are a lot cheaper aswell to pick up a good one.

I have a spare Mk3 ABF lump which i have rebuilt so know its going to be fairly reliable and is packing about 180 bhp. As most 16v are high (ish) mileage and arnt 'that' fast was wondering if i can install my ABF lump?

Or is wiring, fitting an issue? or straight in with corrado engine mounts? And what about gearlinkage? Is it rod or cable the corrado? would i need a new pdeal box etc?

I know it may sound strange but i know the engine and its sitting around doing nothing! and if i can buy a corrado that has a engine problem it would cost naff all to repair as i have the engine here.

Any advice or am i mad.

ABF is one hell of a engine,one of my favs 8)

It will fit direct onto your box and mounts,as for wiring,thats something i dont know,but i know that on 90spec onwards on the golfs they were 90% plug and play into the back of the fuse board,Im sure the corrado has the later spec fuse board..

Just one note,if you are using a 4 branch then you will have to mod the rear engine mount as the four branch wont clear the top of the tunnel..

I miss i old one... :lol:

abflump.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

Oh and Welcome to the CF

Welcome to the forum...

Don't see many ABF's in the Corrado for some reason but they are an excellent engine, reliable and good diagnostics...

I think they are quite tall so you may need a later C (or at least a late bonnet)

All Corrado's are hydro clutch with cable change

Thanks buddy.

I had intended to fit it my my Mk2 golf but ive always wanted a corrado so may have a change of plans!

Mk2 will be kept for other things :D

Any one know about the wiring?

If the engine bolts directly onto the corrado transmission then i dont need to worry about the linkages etc.

I have the o2a box if it doesnt anyway. I guess the corrado box could handle the 180 odd bhp from the engine?

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41171

loads on here,cant be arsed to check if they have any wiring info...i will let you do that :lol:

Ive had a quick read and there is two main white plugs for the engine managment that plug direct into the back of 90spec fuse board and the raddo's are the same.

180 bhp is nothing for them boxes mate! 8)

ok so fitting them isnt that hard by the sounds of it and wiring isnt as bad as it could be.

I forgot to ask, the ABF runs off digifant injection, so goes straight into a mk2 8v, but isnt the corrado 16vs both 2.0 and 1.8 K-jet injection?

Does this mean i would need to change fuel lines, pumps etc?

Adam

ok so fitting them isnt that hard by the sounds of it and wiring isnt as bad as it could be.

I forgot to ask, the ABF runs off digifant injection, so goes straight into a mk2 8v, but isnt the corrado 16vs both 2.0 and 1.8 K-jet injection?

Does this mean i would need to change fuel lines, pumps etc?

Adam

The fuel lines run up the same as the golf on the drivers side front strut,cutting off the plastic barb and fitting fuel line with a couple of hose clips is all you need,pumps are more than adequate for the ABF

This is pretty intriguing I have to say. I'm starting to think my old 9A is seriously tired and wanting some 'internal' tlc. If / when it does give up the ghost, I think this lump is worthy of serious consideration.

This is pretty intriguing I have to say. I'm starting to think my old 9A is seriously tired and wanting some 'internal' tlc. If / when it does give up the ghost, I think this lump is worthy of serious consideration.

It [strike:1u2215x9]was[/strike:1u2215x9] is my fav motor,its so quiet,good clean power,uncluttered in the bay,good for 150bhp and with a remap is known to push it upto 180bhp!

Sounds fairly easy within reason.

has anybody done the conversion before? Be good to get some hands on advice.

Sounds fairly easy within reason.

has anybody done the conversion before? Be good to get some hands on advice.

Done it on my old golf.

The KR is the 1.8 k-jet

9a is the 2 litre updated K-jet tronic

ABF was fitted to the MK3 golfs and the Seat and is a tall block with mototronic injection

kr is 1.8

9a,abf 2litre.

But you knew that.

9a is vw's equivalent of the audi 3a bubble block.

It is a short block being the same height as the kr or pg engines 1.8 engines.

The extra cc's over the 1.8 blocks is created with a slightly larger crank and bore.

The extra height of the abf block over the 9a gives a better rod ratio.

You may or may not be interested in reading this in regards to the last point.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/stroke- ... 32680.html

Or do you own reasearch on this matter.

The differences in management of the 9a and abf engines has already been discussed above.

ta

I believe the ABF was taller to so that the thrust forces on the front and back of the bores were reduced, leading to longer block lives.

I intend to fit an ABF with spacer plate and turbot to my valver at some point, using a short runner intake so there's no clearance issues.

I have heard a rumour that the ABF will fit with early bonnets, but can't be sure... TBH, get an early car, wack the ABF bottom end in and run the standard KJet for ease of conversion.

I hate the K-jet imop,yes if its set up properly it can have the same power ect..but the mototronic upgrade from the ABF is worth its weight in gold! smoother and much better on fuel by literally miles! also don't the ABF have the injector holes in the head unlike the K-jet?

Im considering an abf lump for my G60 :)

But will it devalue my car badly? :?

If the answer to that is yes, then ill build up another G60 lump or sommet maybe.

Neil.

If anyone knows for sure if an ABF bottom end would fit under an early bonnet, pls let me know :) cheers

What exhaust manifold would i need for an abf into G60 corrado? Im guessing just a 1,8 or 2.0 valver manifold (which one)?

Would there be any problems with this?

Neil.

What exhaust manifold would i need for an abf into G60 corrado? Im guessing just a 1,8 or 2.0 valver manifold (which one)?

Would there be any problems with this?

Neil.

No problems, but you are mad fitting a valver to your G60, Neil.

And not meaning to be a pedant, (although by saying this I probably am) but the ABF is 236mm high , where as the KR and 9A are 220mm high, so a total of 16mm difference in block height. :dorky: (rods are 144mm in the KR/9A and 159mm in the ABF/2E (8v) :dorky: :dorky: :dorky: )