Sign in to follow this  
G60SC_Stoney

Brake Upgrade help!

right, as some of you may know, im building a 16vg60, the car is now in the garage waiting for the interior to go in etc. But ive got an issue with my wheel/brake combo.

I was intending on fitting some Brembo 4 pots with 305mm disks (cupra setup) on the G60 hubs and then use some 20mm 4x100>5x100 adapters to fit my BBS RS301s on with. problem with this is one of my sets of 301s has slightly wider lips bringing them out to around 8 inches wide, and poke past the arches by about 20mm (exactly the width of the adapter) so my second option was...

Convert to 5 stud with VR6 hubs etc, etc, thus saving me the 20mm needed to fit the BBS under the arches and fit perfectly. That would be fine except that ive been in contact with Bill Brockbank and also had a look for myself and found that the Seat disks are inset and make contact with a part of the hub (the caliper mounting area) pic below:

hubdisk.jpg

so they wont fit (unless i cut that part off, is that an option? and then fit the caliper spacers and fabricate some kind of spacer, then this may still not be possible)

which brings me onto my thrid option, which is the only viable one, sell the Brembo setup and fit a VAG 312mm setup onto the VR6 hubs, but the issue then is whether the 312mm setup is man enough to stop a nigh on 300BHP Corrado? Or buy some slimmer calipers and proper disks (AP racing for example) and fit them onto the VR6 hubs, but then we are talking big bucks

Thoughts please, and here are some more pics of the issue, sorry about the quality camera phone is rubbish...

BBS (wider lips) sticking out using 4stud hubs and 20mm adapters:

bbsdontfit.jpg

BBS (standard lips) fit fine using 4 stud hubs and 20mm adapters:

BBSfit.jpg

and one for all you BBS fans (i know she needs lowering, but she doesnt have an engine in at the moment!)

DSC00095.jpg

I did hear that the 312s can suffer from brake fade on a fairly rapid car. What about a 5 stud brembo conversion off a leon? You might be looking at changing an awful lot of parts to fit VR hubs too.

ive looked into the 323mm seat setup, which would clear the hub but would be too big as it will make contact with the nuts/bolts on the outside of the 3piece wheels, as brembo calipers are rather chunky in comparsion with AP's for example

the VR6 hub conversion isnt an issue, ive got all the time in the world to do it, but need to make sure its done right the first time, as i dont want to start pulling te car to bits when i think its all finished

If you've already got the Brembo callipers, you could make up a custom carrier for them to fit the 312mm VAG disks?

The 312s are better than the 280s and will stop you, but you are going to have heat issues if you use them a lot and/or start doing track days.

I think other than that AP is going to be the way to go, but you can do that on 4 or 5 stud.

If it were me, I'd do the hub conversion anyway as 4 bolts aren't a lot to hold on the amount of torque you're going to be putting through them. Especially as they weren't designed for it. Then I'd run with the nice cheap 312mm option for starters and see how you get on. They'll be good enough for now and it then gives you time to decide/save up for some AP lovin' :)

Whatever you do, make sure you go for braided hoses all round and 5.1 fluid. That way you're less likely to get brake fade. Most of brake fade is due to the rubber flexi pipes getting soft under the heat and stretching when you put your foot on the anchors. So if you've got braided hoses, they can't flex, so you get less fade. The rest of fade is the pads overheating and melting a bit...then they catch fire not long after :lol:

I can safely say the 312 vag set up do not feel as beefy on the foot compared to the brembos, so i would def do it right 1st time especially as you have all the time in the world and you could fund the brakes by selling the brembos and a set of wheels :D

You could try what I did. Have a set of bells and rotors made from AP. There is a lot of choice in diameter with the 28mm thick discs, and you can keep the Brembo callipers. Just space them out and buy longer bolts (I went from 305mm Seat discs to 315mm). Basically it all come down to how much space you have to play with, and how big you want to go. Oh, and that bit in th 1st photo, if I recall, is removed on the AP big brake kit for the G60 (they recommend to grind it off for clearance). Best people to talk to are BG developments.

You could try what I did. Have a set of bells and rotors made from AP. There is a lot of choice in diameter with the 28mm thick discs, and you can keep the Brembo callipers. Just space them out and buy longer bolts (I went from 305mm Seat discs to 315mm). Basically it all come down to how much space you have to play with, and how big you want to go. Oh, and that bit in th 1st photo, if I recall, is removed on the AP big brake kit for the G60 (they recommend to grind it off for clearance). Best people to talk to are BG developments.

yeah getting a set of custom bells/rotors sounds like a good option, and i was strongly considering it, but i rear your thread and thought it was quiet expensive to get done. how much did the rotors and bells cost you exactly, and have you got a number for BG developments??

yeah getting a set of custom bells/rotors sounds like a good option, and i was strongly considering it, but i rear your thread and thought it was quiet expensive to get done. how much did the rotors and bells cost you exactly, and have you got a number for BG developments??

It cost me around £600 for my bells and rotors, but some of that was due to me needing a rare size for my callipers. For 304mm 2 piece discs I would expect it to be around £500 to £550 even so (the bells are £75 ea, then there are the rotors to consider). As for a contact number they are on the web at http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk/.

It cost me around £600 for my bells and rotors, but some of that was due to me needing a rare size for my callipers. For 304mm 2 piece discs I would expect it to be around £500 to £550 even so (the bells are £75 ea, then there are the rotors to consider). As for a contact number they are on the web at http://www.bgdevelopments.co.uk/.

cheers for that mate, will look into a good combo and see what they say!

I have got some 5 stud conversion hubs for sale if your interested?

ive already got some VR6 hubs sitting in the shed, thanks anyway

These are'nt vr6 hubs, these are custom hubs, they are a direct replacement for your 4 stud hubs, they fit your 4 stud hub carriers and drive shafts, only difference is that they've got 5 holes instead of 4, i had the same set up you've mentioned on my old corrado, i had the 305 brembo kit, but had 5 stud wheels, so i bought these hubs from america and the only other thing i had to do was have the 4 stud discs drilled to 5 stud.

oh right! well that would solve all my problems then! how much do you want for them? my 305mm disks are already re-drilled for 5x100 too so thats even better!

£50?, they've also got 4 stud abs rings attached to them which i had to slightly modify to fit so you wont have to worry about that niether, just out of interest, did you buy your 305 brembo kit from this forum?, that could be my old kit.

consider them sold, ill pm you to save clogging his thread up. i got my Brembo setup from E38 forum (i think) they are practically brand new, only a 1000 miles old!