boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

I'd say build a bigger collection. Nothing wrong with hoarding and besides it looks as if you have plenty of room left in the garden :? Alternatively you could construct/weld up some sort of sculpture from all the bits - a homage of sorts to this stage of your life :roll:

Everything came out of the little shed in the background, that's where I work :salute:

Hoarding obsolete parts for a car you're hoping to keep in a while (esp. when you have 2 dailies in the family?) sounds like a wise plan to me.

There are tons of parts that neither of us can use though, like the 256s, mk2 chassis parts, etc. It's a shame one C is early and one is late really, although it means that any parts we stumble upon can be used/stored for either car which is good in a way I guess. Would be nice to have more panels though.

(I still say rust-proof Carbon Fibre panels ftw :roll: )

Man that's a lot of stuff. Makes my collection look pitiful.

Did I see the word Moonlight? :lol:

AS I mentioned, some of it is from my Mk2 Golf / Jetta days :camp:

Yeah, the rear late bumper is Moonlight, as is the filler cap in my room (but that's £50 :lol: )

image020cq0.jpg

Tank after some serious Marine Clean attacks, not really abrasive enough but the MIN and MAX can be seen now (No I don't have the £££ for a new tank :| )

I only paid £9 for my new expansion tank and it was a good buy as my coolant was about as "clear" as yours. Not an original but at least I can tell what level the coolant is at :)

Came from AVS I think.

Yeah I know cheers mate, was unemployed when I did that. At least I can see the level now, and the tank'll have to come off again when the silicones get done :D :salute:

Yeah I know cheers mate, was unemployed when I did that. At least I can see the level now, and the tank'll have to come off again when the silicones get done :D :salute:

Yeah, I'm employed again now, woop! :clap: Maybe i'll manage to get those shocks finally... bills first though.

Who gets a job at 10.20 pm? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one dude, more funding for Ron.

Who gets a job at 10.20 pm? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought they were called "tricks" in his line of work.

Don't hate the player, hate the GAME :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I got a call at 5pm a little last-minute but I start tomorrow... £9 an hour, and no tax to pay... hard life :wink:

Ordered a new wheel bearing today. It suddently got quite loud this evening (this is on the spare hub) just as a car passed, I thought their exhaust had gone! :sad:

Hopefully, I'll pick up a cheap hub puller and use a good friend's press to swap it out :clap:

Wheel bearing came yesterday, but missed the posty as i'm a working man and all.

It's from Tierod69 off ebay (bought a load of stuff from him) and it's Febi Bilstein too, so good stuff (I swear they should be paying ME by now :cuckoo: ). Look at all the stuff you get in the wheel bearing kit:

image038wx8.jpg

Wheel bearing,

2 circlips,

brake disc grub screw,

hub nut,

tube of grease (for initial bearing into hub assembly?)

17mm lower ball joint to hub bolt and nylock nut (serious :notworthy: for including one of these i feel, and with a nylock nut too!)

track rod end new nylock nut,

2 new suspension strut to hub nuts with special captive washers (these must always be replaced as per VW)

Quite a lot of stuff for £23 delivered :shock:

Umming and aahing about whether to buy a hub puller and DIY this now. Might phone a local garage and see if they'll do it for cash on the spot. Shouldn't take long.

Personally I'd get a garage to do it- won't take them long ;)

Glad to see Ron is coming together, mate. Your hard work is paying off 8)

Cheers matey :grin: This febi bearing has so many useful parts in I'm thinking I will do the other side as well, just so everything is fresh!

All I have left to buy for the complete front end overhaul is:

shock absorbers (maybe springs if I don't use some s/h ones from the parts store)

280mm discs and pads,

280mm caliper seal kits.

then I just need to put it all together really. Glad I got money coming in at the mo, it's quite useful.

Deffo not the rear, that bearing is tight as a drum.

Jacked up the front just to ascertain movement, and the current front hub generates more play than a 7 y/o with ADHD. :crazyeyes: :confused:

So yeah, still front so that's cool...in an at-least-i-don't-have-to-slap-the-fresh-rear-beam-on-right-now kinda way.

are you still taking your suspension back to completely standard?

glad to see some prgress, and congrats on the new job :D

Cheers buddy :salute:

Yeah, the suspension is going back to standard which a lot of people will find odd, but believe me the current stuff is so tired.

Most peoples top mounts are fine and their front struts are like this | with no play.

Mine can be moved from this / to this \ with a fingertip :cuckoo:

July Update

So, I got a job which means I can afford tax again which is awesome, but I'm starting to think whether I should just SORN it and use that £180 to buy all these bits I've been needing for a while:

New pair front shock absorbers,

Source good springs [tidiest ones from the shed?],

Wheel bearing fitted to spare OS front hub [check play in current NS hub],

Treat hubs and swap over,

280 discs and pads,

new seals on 280 calipers, treat and put on,

renew brake fluid.

That will all prob come to £180 or more, and will mean the new subframe et al will be ready to go on.

The only downside to this idea is if I get a job in August that I need the car for, I will prob get 6mth tax and pootle around on it whilst getting the shocks and hubs. There's no point doing them later as I'll have to get the car aligned again and replace more single-use nuts which is a bit pointless. The brake parts can wait if need be, the 256s are still razor sharp which is nice.

The car will need serious alignment anyways what with the new steering rack and suspension, and I should prob get a PAS pump at some point or try to ascertain whether my current one is broke. Then there's the late spec PAS lines and reservoir which will hopefully just require mounting the cylindrical pot to the NS inner wing by the washer bottle.

So, things are looking up. But we'll have to wait until the end of the month to see what happens. :salute:

Good news bro, glad to see that the plan is still progressing :salute:

Will check with the good lady about temp storage :norty: :lol:

So, my car has started making a knocking noise when I pulled away recently. Hmm.

First thoughts (without inspection) were rear engine mount was going as the sound was coming from down by my feet. I was unsurprised that the mount was going as it is still the old setup.

So I check it today and it's fine. Odd :scratch:

Then I remembered the car would hesitate also when pulling away and liked stalling a liiiiiitle too much, so I had a look underneath:

image021kv6.jpg

Doesn't look too out of the ordinary, but has ~1" vertical play in it. Not sure why that is: there are no hangers this far up the car (that join is downpipe > centre pipe) so I think the clamp has just given up and the sealant has long past bought it.

Dug out an old mk2 Golf stainless VAG exhaust clamp and I'll pick up some sealant tomorrow :salute:

Good job, monk - much admiration. So, when you gonna help me with my engine swap? :luvlove:

Ooops, I forgot to update this! Exhaust is fixed now :nuts: :lol: I love big updates...

I can help you out from September onwards, probs easiest to do it at the new house :salute:

Ordered another PO starter kit to do my two front hubs with and to recoat the rear beam (has been painted but not with anything protective AFAIK) which will come shortly.

Current job ends tomorrow, so will have to look into more stuff for August and Sept before Year 2 starts and I completely lose all my money and spare time! :sad: :cuckoo: