Sign in to follow this  
Foxster

Coolant problem, more help needed! (with photo's)

Hi everyone, this is my first topic and unfortionately the topic is a problem, any help would be greatly appreciated... heres the story...

I ventured out in my newly purchased VR6 Storm that i only picked up on Wednesday (the journey was about half an hour each way and mostly motorway). As soon as i fired her up ready for the journey home the coolant temperature/level warning light was flashing. As it was i had had this problem with my mk2 Golf and it turned out to be a faulty sensor which when replaced resolved the problem. Because of this (and the fact that i had checked the coolant on a regular basis since acquiring the car) i simply restarted her and the warning light stopped flashing. About 15 minutes down the motorway the warning light came back on, i pulled on the hard shoulder to check the levels etc. However, everything seemed fine, the levels were fine, the temperatures were normal and there was no sign of leaking coolant etc. I started her up again and again, the warning light never came back on. I got all the way home without any problem or warning light. It was only when i got home and started her up again ready to go out for a meal again, i checked the levels again and all was well so my conclusion was a dodgy sensor, maybe due to the sudden downfall of snow and wind and RAIN. The light remained on on the way back from the meal too, i just took it easy as the pub was only about 5 minutes away. I stopped off at a friends on the way home (literally round the corner from my house) and while i was at his door steam began rushing out from the engine, my old man turned the engine off immediately and we lifted the bonnet. The coolant was literally all over the floor and there was nothing in the expansion tank. Fearing the worst i filled her up with what coolant my friend had and got her home. However, all temperatures on the way home were fine and she drove fine.

After reading a few topics on this forum i had a list of a few possibilities...

1) Cracked elbow (on radiator)

2) Radiator

3) Head gasket

4) Temperature switch

5) Damaged hose

I topped the coolant up and started the engine, expecting to see where the leak was when the temperature was at running temperature, i purchased a nice red coolant to try and make the leak easier to spot! Once running temperature was reached the coolant level rose and began leaking from the expansion tank (appeared to be out of the lid). So a friend of mine came over who used to have a Golf VR6 and he had a go, we repeated the process and came to the conclusion the rubber piping from and to the radiator were not getting hot. We massaged them and tried to eradicate any air locks, eventually they bagan to get hot, then we noticed that on the lid of the expansion tank the o-ring was not in the groove properly and was very loose. We put it back in the groove and everntually it seemed like it was going to stay put. This time the coolant seemed fine, the car seemed fine and all the pipes were hot, there were no signs of leaking from anywhere, and the warning light never came on either time, only a bit of steam where the coolant from the night earlier and the previous test must have been.

I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and if you think it could have been something as daft as a dodgy o-ring allowing air into the system and causing air locks and over-pressuring? I will take ger round the block a few times tomorrow and see what happens.

Cheers, Jamie :)

what has the colour got to do with it :cuckoo:

its common for the expansion cap seal to not fit correctly and this will allow the boiling point to be lowered and boil easily,best fit a new cap and hope all goes well. :wave:

Thats fantastic, that was the only conclusion we had, otherwise it was a mystery! Where would be best place to get a genuine cap from? GSF? Thanks a lot.

Thats fantastic, that was the only conclusion we had, otherwise it was a mystery! Where would be best place to get a genuine cap from? GSF? Thanks a lot.

I'd just get it from the dealer. At least then you know it's OE and it's not like they're expensive anyway. Welcome to the joys of Corrado ownership, mystic blue's far and away the best colour, obviously btw.

The other thing you should be aware of is using the right coolant in the VR6 motor - G12+ is what the dealer'll sell you now and it's compatible with G12 and other coolants, but G12 isn't. Worst case scenario is if your engine has G12 in and you add a normal coolant it can react and form a nasty gel in the pipework. If you're not sure what's in there and mixed with what, it might be worth draining, flushing and refilling with G12+ for peace of mind.

Yeah I am going to drain it asap anyway. It was just a big panic to be honest, I added about 2 litres of cheap crap but im sure it will be fine as long as i drain it asap. Do you know how many litres i will need? 9 or 10? Cheers by the way i really appreciate the help and yes it is a beautiful colour! I will run down to the dealership when its open and get a cap. Thanks a lot.

Based on previous posts on here you'll need around 3.5 litres of G12+ along with 6.5 litres of water, preferably distilled stuff. That sounds about right to me based on when my radiator died before Christmas :(

Fwiw, I don't think Corrado's are inherently unreliable, but given that the latest ones out there are now around 12 years old, there are quite a few bits that just tend to die with age and the cooling system gets a bit of a hammering cos it's a big, hot engine in a small engine bay.

Thats great then, thanks a lot. I will crack onto that tomorrow, i dont think the Dealership will be open tomorrow? I might have to wait until Monday.

I doubt parts will be open on Bank Holiday Monday either :(

Looks like you've sussed the problem though - the blue cap and some G12+ should set you straight.

Yeah me too :( , Just trying to source some coolant and a cap now! Not having much luck though, might have to wait until tomorrow.

Hello everyone, i'm still having a nightmare with this car. Upon believing that i had solved the problem (problem being the expansion tank cap) i was ready to flush her out and fill her with G12+. I thought it would be a good idea to give her one more go around the block just to make sure she was okay. To my dismay it happened all over again! I thought i had repaired the current cap well enough to tide me over till the new one came in stock (on Thursday). I removed the elbow last night, gave it an inspection and gave the hoses a good inspection (although it was dark by the time). The car only seems to do it when im driving, therefore when the hoses are under pressure. I was thinking maybe it is the pipe to the bottom of the radiator but obviously it is difficult to tell since it will only expand with the heat, and it only seems to do it when im driving. I have tried giving her some rev's on the drive but i dont want to over'do it! I was considering a pressure test as my girlfiends Dad has a tester but i'm not sure if it would be any good?

I am going to upload some photo's to try and explain whats happening further.

Cheers all

Jamie

Here are some photo's to give more of an idea of the problem (hopefully). Sorry if the files are too big! I'm just learning :o ...

Looks like it's defo from the front somewhere. Impossible to tell from the pics exactly where though. I would guess the elbow, or maybe the plastic part of the rad it attaches to. Quite easy to split both bits if you tighten the elbow too much. Other than that it could be any of the hoses. Is the top rad hose in good nick? Is it seated correctly onto the elbow? Maybe worth getting a fresh spring clip from VW.

Think you need to wipe everything clean, so there's no coolant/residue left anywhere, and leave it to idle for a good while. Check everywhere with a fine toothed comb when it starts getting up to temp, fans kick in etc.

Another idea- again, clean everything, then take out for a quick drive. If it's leaked again, check out the spray pattern of the coolant- hopefully you'll be able to see where it's come from.

Yeah i have just wiped it down a bit, its difficult to see but it shows up on the camera great. Its just a nightmare now, its covered in the stuff needs a good clean (a day off work probably). I have had the elbow off and re-fitted it. The majority of the hoses were replaced when the thermostat was replaced (last year off the top of my head) according the the receipts i have and to be fair they don't look bad. I am suspicious of the hose at the bottom of the radiator as well as the elbow. I might get a new set of hoses and an elbow along with the cap tomorrow from VW is they have some in stock. Other than that i could jack her up a bit to make the bottom pipe more visible and try it all over again?

if its getting all over the underside of bonnet that would suggest it getting flung around.

are the fan blades covered in coolant?

i am having coolant issues at the moment too, car is tucked away in garage and the guys at local place spotted a hole in rad, which i hadn't noticed

i've had the thermostat housing go, and it didn't spray all around the engine bay.

can you look through the front of grill? i think a magical stone managed to find its way through mine and that what has pieced the rad, bloody good shot on the stones behalf tho :lol:

Yeah well i guess the radiator is still a possibility although the coolant only appears to be around the battery area. The radiator has been steaming a lot but thats probably due to coolant on there from the previous leaks that i cant get my hand in to clean. I will give the radiator a good look over tomorrow when its light though, i could not see anything last night but then again i was looking with the aid of a lamp.

Funnily enough, I've just had similar problem.

For past 2 days expansion tank has been spewing water although temp gauges all showing normal and no apparant leaks anywhere.

So just got a friend to have a look, he ran a pressure check and turns out it was just knackered ring in cap.

Remedy: we stole cap from his wifes Polo...so now my 'rado is fine and her car is gonna be spewing water :wink: :norty: :lol:

Yeah Gypsy, the ring was our first guess too. But its just where the coolant is hitting the bonnet that is making me re-think. Was your coolant in a similar place to mine? I am getting the new cap today.

It was the radiator after all. Looks like it has been bodged previous. Its only a pin hole leak but i think i will purcahse a new one rather than get it repaired again. I'm guessing its a pretty straight forward job? I have have a look in the workshop manual, bumper off, lights off?

And thanks to everyone for your help 8)

It's pretty easy. Bumper/lights/slam panel off. Worst bit is undoing the 4 17mm bumper bolts- hope you've got a breaker bar!

I got the bumper off last October without a breaker bar and I'm 62 and not a gorilla. (just a pussycat, ectually :camp: )

It was the biggest job I have done and you are best to have someone help when you put bumper back on.

Lay something on ground like an old sheet to protect bumper from scratching on ground.

I seem to remember only 2 big bolts, but perhaps others will confirm.

i am starting this at the weekend, exact same thing

did you have to support the engine at all, i read somewhere about one bolt that holds bumper on also does something with the engine?