Sign in to follow this  
Matt GTi

ABS workig or not?

I've just got my VR6, and I'm not sure if the ABS works or not. When I hold my foot on the brake pedal when starting, the pedal kind of "flicks", for want of a better word, once. The light goes of ok without any problems. I wasn't sure if it was functioning correctly, but I had to brake pretty hard to prevent a spin the other day in the wet, because of some idiot pulling out on a roundabout in front of me. I don't think the wheels locked up, but in all the excitement i can't remember fully.

Does it sound like it is working or not?

Cheers guys.

Sounds like it's OK...

Find a nice, big, straight, flat, empty bit of carpark, get to about 30MPH and hit the brakes HARD, you should find the peddle pulses under your foot as you find out what seatbelts are for! :? :lol:

Please remember to make sure that there's plenty of open space around you to stop in case the ABS doesn't work properly... we don't want any accidents now, do we?!? :roll: :lol:

Cheers Henny, will do.

Certainley don't want any accidents, I've got to take it in on Saturday for a new rad. Luckily for me the old man is in the industry and has managed to get one for 80 quid.

If the orange light goes out and stays out, your ABS is working. Any problem at all will put the light on. The ABS tests itself everytime you power it up.

Gavin

The brake pedal is supposed drop slightly when the engine fires, indicating the servo has pressurised, or vacuumed, what ever the correct terminology is.

As for testing, I periodically stand on the brakes in the wet coming off a slip road at 80+. The car should pull up in a straight line and you will get one or two chirps from the back tyres as the weight throws forwards onto the front brakes. The harder the ABS pump has to work, the more you'll feel through the pedal. So on wet tarmac, you shouldn't feel too much through the pedal, but on sand, gravel and ice, you certainly will!

Kev