Sign in to follow this  
PoorMansPorsche

So what is the physical difference between the 20VT Engines?

alright peeps,

i really need to get myself an estate and was thinking about a Octavia 1.8T

So whatever one i go for id like to get it up to the magic 225 BHP but dont want to just get it remapped id like to make it as OEM as possible.

So what is the actual differences between say the 3 main ones, the 150, the 180 and the 225 ? I take it there is actual different internals and not just mapping !

Basically i havent decided yet whether to go for the 1.8T 4 x4 150 BHP standard one or the VRS 180 BHP 2WD

The 4 x 4 will be cheaper to buy and insure but obviously the VRS looks better.

Although it wont take alot of dough to get the standard car looking like a VRS so will the 4 x 4 help me get the power down better or should i just get the VRS ???

any thoughts would be appreciated

cheers

Brett

Different turbos

K03

Ko3S

Ko4

225 has Ko4 and forged crank and pistons

There is diferent heads and manifolds small and large port variants

And its the magic 300bhp which round these parts its turning into the magic 400bhp club

if the 150bhp 4x4 you are looknig at has an AGU engine code then the most you will be able to map it to is 195bhp due to it having the Ko3 (small) turbo.. You can change the turbo etc, but tbh you'd just be better getting a vrs. I used CCC Tech (Simon Coe) yesterday to chip my A31.8T 150bhp... it;s now 190-195bhp and it is stupidly quick compared to how it was

cheers for that, good forum, there is a post on there telling exactly what i need to know !!! looks like im gonna go down the 150 BHP 4 x 4 route as i dont actually like the VRS interior probably gonna bung in a set of GTI Recaro's if i can !!

Gotta sell the ole Vectra First though !

the 4x4 elegance model runs an ARX engine which will map up to 220-230 bhp no problem. any 150bhp or 180bhp turbo engine from 2002 will run the later K03 (or K03s if you like) and therefore a remap will see 220bhp. the VRS and 4x4 models will run the same power after a remap

You'd need to find a pretty sympathetic dyno to see 220bhp from just a remap of a K03s-based engine. The numbers mean very little though; the way the car drives will be leagues ahead of a standard map.

The ARX engine is fitted with the same K03s turbo as the AUQ, etc engines. Therefore it will also require a sympathetic dyno to see over 210bhp.

You'd need to find a pretty sympathetic dyno to see 220bhp from just a remap of a K03s-based engine. The numbers mean very little though; the way the car drives will be leagues ahead of a standard map.

The ARX engine is fitted with the same K03s turbo as the AUQ, etc engines. Therefore it will also require a sympathetic dyno to see over 210bhp.

i run 220bhp and 230 ft/lbs with an ARX engine, although i am on stand alone management. it was measured on Clive Attowes rolling road, which is notorious for being unsympathetic

That's very good power, although I wouldn't say Clive Atthowe's dyno is unsympathetic. My Leon made 242bhp/256ftlb there and the folks of the seatcupra.net forum think that's over the top for a stage two AUQ engine. Either way, it goes well enough for me.