Sign in to follow this  
staffs_til_i_die

Carbon wrap - REALLY not sure...

Right, some fecker has keyed my bonnet in two places, each about 6 inches long. I've already ranted about this on here, and had some sympathy and advice (cheers).

Have looked at a re-spray, but appears to be around £400, which is pushing it. There's a post on here about carbon bonnets, possibly around the £450 mark, but not much is happening on that thread. So, am thinking of putting some carbon-effect wrap on the bonnet to protect it at least. I know that is very "chavved up corsa stylee", but it looks a mess now, and my own attempts at a respray aren't going to be good. Is this easy to do, will it leave bubbles, or will it just look shee-it?

What are your thoughts? Need to hear them, including abuse (in case I need my head examining...)

It will look like a yeti's ass.

Your car is black isn't it? Can't be that hard to find a black bonnet in good nick. I know there are a few on ebay fo' sho'

Right, some fecker has keyed my bonnet in two places, each about 6 inches long. I've already ranted about this on here, and had some sympathy and advice (cheers).

Have looked at a re-spray, but appears to be around £400, which is pushing it. There's a post on here about carbon bonnets, possibly around the £450 mark, but not much is happening on that thread. So, am thinking of putting some carbon-effect wrap on the bonnet to protect it at least. I know that is very "chavved up corsa stylee", but it looks a mess now, and my own attempts at a respray aren't going to be good. Is this easy to do, will it leave bubbles, or will it just look shee-it?

What are your thoughts? Need to hear them, including abuse (in case I need my head examining...)

£400 for a bonnet is way too expensive. You should be looking at £150-£200 max

Sorry mate but you wanna spend £450 on a carbon bonnet but £400 is too much for a respray in your eyes???

Makes sense to me Junkie. Carbon Fibre won't rust and will outlive the rest of the car, plus it saves weight.

If he was planning to spend £400 for a lick of paint on an old steel bonnet, why not pay an extra £50 and get a composite bonnet? :shrug:

Where the heck are you getting quoted £400 to get your bonnet resprayed?! The dealers?!

i just had a quote on my car for a full spray and rust removal by a decent sprayer and that was only 1400, £400 for a bonnet is whack!

you need to go shopping for quotes mate......

IMHO carbon bonnets are a jap chav thing, no go on german cars, but only my humble piece of pie

Agree with the others- that's a rediculous price! You could get the bumper and wings done as well for that. A couple of years ago I paid £300 for a whole front end respray.

Apart from carbon wrap looking pants, it would be a nightmare to put on as the bonnet curves both ways, if you get what i mean lol. So it would be very very hard not to get creases in it.

i want to know where people get their cars sprayed! £1000 i was quoted for bonnet, front wings and front bumper. Add an extra 500 quid for one rear arch!! i kinda gave up hope after that quote.

oh and i've seen one rado at a show with carbon bonnet, cant say i was impressed

A real carbon bonnet on a black car you might just about get away with but carbon wrap - nope..

Painting you get what you pay for but you might be able to get the costs down by doing some prep yourself, stripping all the lights, side strips, door handles, roof rubbers etc off the car and then getting it trailed to the paint shop should save you a few quid and you will take more time refitting the bits when it comes back.

i want to know where people get their cars sprayed! £1000 i was quoted for bonnet, front wings and front bumper. Add an extra 500 quid for one rear arch!! i kinda gave up hope after that quote.

oh and i've seen one rado at a show with carbon bonnet, cant say i was impressed

mate i think they quoted that cos they dont want the business, i know a few spray shops like that, if they have work coming out of their ears they'll quote over the odds and then the options are simple

a) you walk away and they dont care cos they have too much work as it is

or

b) you agree and they are quids in and can afford to delay someone elses spray job!

mate i think they quoted that cos they dont want the business, i know a few spray shops like that, if they have work coming out of their ears they'll quote over the odds and then the options are simple

or

b) you agree and they are quids in and can afford to delay someone elses spray job!

^^^ makes a lot of sense!

or

^^^ makes a lot of sense!

yes it does! but i am still going to rant :bad-words:

i just had a quote on my car for a full spray and rust removal by a decent sprayer and that was only 1400, £400 for a bonnet is whack!

you need to go shopping for quotes mate......

IMHO carbon bonnets are a jap chav thing, no go on german cars, but only my humble piece of pie

if you sprayed carbon bonnet that looks tidy but doesnt help this situation

but 400 for a bonnet spray is dick turpin terratory 200 tops

and i for the jap chav thing and no german cars may i point out the awesome and drop dead gorgeous swb sport quattro every panel but the doors are composite

and that would be no1 on my top garage list :D

Right! Thanks for the ideas.

The £400 quote was for the bonnet and tops of the wings. The guy said they would need doing to to help blend the colour in.

I don't really have £400 as I mentioned, but if I did get it together, I would rather get the extra £50 and get the carbon bonnet. My C is moonlight blue (very dark blue, looks black in certain lights). I know most modded VWs don't go down the carbon route, but my car could do with a diet, and I like the look of carbon (personal taste I know).

So, I'll get on the phone and get some more quotes. I live in Staffordshire, so if anyone knows any good places (Stoke-on-Trent, Newcastle, etc.) then let me know!