Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Toothed Belt Drive Kit (68mm pulley)

Hello Folks,

I'm thinking about getting the above does it make much if a difference?

PS where's the best place to get ARP studs for my g60

Cheers for any advise

Sandy

I used a toothed belt system for a couple of months. Got through 2 belts in that time. Some people love them, some people don't - I didn't get on with mine, and have gone back to a normal system with a 65mm pulley, and I noticed no difference between that and the toothed system I have in terms of boost pressure.

i run a 68mm toothed belt kit that i bought from someone on here, and yes they do eat the standard belts far too quickly, i changed to an uprated belt which is more reinforced and meant to be 30% stronger and has so far lasted about 10k miles, the standard one lasted about 5k

getting the tension right can be a bit of hastle though, too tight and it just causes drag and will snap, too loose and it makes a horrible rattle everytime you pick the throttle up from idle as it take the slack up, but get it right and the sound it makes is great.

i did notice a slight improvement in throttle response but is it worth the asking price, i dont think so.

one thing that is worth doing is get a waterpump pulley from an aircon car as this then runs the waterpump from the v-belt that drives the power steering, this means that if your toothed belt does snap you can still limp home without the engine overheating, as long as you have charge in the battery.

Sounds like its not worth the money so far. Ah well what else could I get :confused4:

To be honest you are generating pretty good power already. In order to advise on what next, what system do you currently have?

To be honest you are generating pretty good power already. In order to advise on what next, what system do you currently have?

This is my engine spec at the moment

AMD Chip & Pulley plus stage 4 conversion on the supercharger

Vibratech front engine mount

SWG twin g60 inlet

K&N panel filter

Super sprint cat bypass pipe

Jetex stainless steel exhaust

Water & Methanol injection

Big valve head

Super sprint manifold 4 to 1

Schrick cam

Ported & polished throttle body

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator (fuel pressure * 2)

front mounted intercooler

PS I'm going to get a SNS chip

Ok, thats a pretty impressive list :D . As coolrado said, oil cooler is a definate if you don't already have one. The other thing that springs to mind is red top injectors - you're not still running the standard injectors are you? And with all that I would recommend you get a custom mapped SNS rather than relying on a standard SNS one.

I thought about getting a an oil cooler but even if I'm on a mission the oil temp never goes over 116. I always change the oil every 4,000 miles (quality oil). Take it I would need to get ma g60 to SNS for a custom map.

PS I spoke to SNS they said I didn't need red tops as I was only running a 68mm pulley

I thought about getting a an oil cooler but even if I'm on a mission the oil temp never goes over 116. I always change the oil every 4,000 miles (quality oil). Take it I would need to get ma g60 to SNS for a custom map.

PS I spoke to SNS they said I didn't need red tops as I was only running a 68mm pulley

With an oil cooler most peoples temps come down to around a 100 even when pushing it. But as you as fastidious in your oil changing that shouldn't be too much of an issue then. Steve from Pitstop Developments should be able to do you a custom map, but you would need to ge the car to him. With standard injectors you will be pushing to duty cycle to the limit to get enough fuel in with your system. Even with a 68mm pullet you have a big valve flowed head, flowed exhaust manifold, big intercooler and flowed charger - everything designed to get more gas (and therefore more fuel) into your system. If your thinking about furthr modifications and work then injectors will need doing pretty soon. Greta setup BTW - I had a similar one to you but without the water injection or manifold and was getting 212 at the flywheel on standard injectors - but they have now needed changing for my latest round of work :D

Just wondering I sent SNS a email to get a chip but I've not got a reply does anybody have a phone number for them.

PS I'll get the injectors when I'll getting the chip

one thing that is worth doing is get a waterpump pulley from an aircon car as this then runs the waterpump from the v-belt that drives the power steering, this means that if your toothed belt does snap you can still limp home without the engine overheating, as long as you have charge in the battery.

Coolrado - quick question matey - is it just the pulley and the non a/c 'pas' belt thats needed for this or anything else like a spacer etc?

Does the toothed belt in the kit still remain the right length if setup like this or does it require a shorter one?

Coolrado - quick question matey - is it just the pulley and the non a/c 'pas' belt thats needed for this or anything else like a spacer etc?

Does the toothed belt in the kit still remain the right length if setup like this or does it require a shorter one?

Yeah you would need the waterpump pulley from an aircon car, V-belt from an aircon car and a shorter toothed belt.

No other spacers or adapters needed, the pulley just replaces the standard one.

wont drive the alternator though?

as i said you will be ok as long as you have charge in the battery, usually enough to get you to the nearest services or limp home, without the waterpump you would be lucky to get half a mile before your headgasket went pop.