Sign in to follow this  
Veearrhsix

Any VR owners felt the need to get a 2nd car?

I do about 400-500 motorway miles a week in the VR commuting to Yorkshire and back, and keep the Chimaera for the weekend..

...originally I had a mk8vGTI as the day to day car and the VR as the fun car, got rid of the golf, got the tiv and the sensible voices said swap the VR for something more 'sensible' (ie dull :( )... ...the voices I actually listened to said ' you've spent the last 4 years sorting this car out- use it and enjoy it!... :nuts: .'..

I do about 400-500 motorway miles a week in the VR commuting to Yorkshire and back, and keep the Chimaera for the weekend..

...originally I had a mk8vGTI as the day to day car and the VR as the fun car, got rid of the golf, got the tiv and the sensible voices said swap the VR for something more 'sensible' (ie dull :( )... ...the voices I actually listened to said ' you've spent the last 4 years sorting this car out- use it and enjoy it!... :nuts: .'..

Maybe I'll follow by your example as soon as I've got the rado set up to the way I want it. You know the feeling that you're abusing the car to a point where you go "Eeeeewww... that's hairy!" Well that's the current state it's in - it should be capable of doing what it does but it doesn't. However, adopting the driving style of those Nissan Micra owners won't be my cup of tea either.

:offtopic: Anyone hate Micras? They really are caricatures of their incapable drivers... Their overall shape looks like they're bricking themselves all the time. :shrug: Get out of my way I say! :ignore:

Liked having a second car for leaving in car parks all day and sitting in traffic in, otherwise, C please...

Did have a fiat panda for a while as it was £50 with 6 months mot, brilliant little car, actually amusing to drive and was nice to have something i didn't give two shits about. Also try buzzing about town in an 850cc panda for a day and then getting in a vr6 after, the C felt like a rocketship... but now i just cycle to work/pub and use the rado all other times....

My vr is my second car. Mainly track day car but i used it for weekends and fun aswell. My daily is a mk3 gti valver. I love both my cars so doesnt bother me having the vr sat at the unit most days. The mk3 is much easier on the pocket. But then i know if i want it the vr is sat there waiting for me.

My daily commute is a mixture of country roads and dual carriageway, so I've used the VR6 daily for the past 5 years - in all stages of modification.

Something crap and slow is a compromise I'm not prepared to make.

You're lucky that your commute doesn't involve sitting still most of the time. If I actually bothered to use the VR every day, that's what it would be doing: 1st and 2nd gear, brake pedal, the clutch would die in six months..

I think that if your drive to work wasn't quite so "enjoyable" maybe you'd think differently about the concept..!

Me? I just walk instead a lot of the time... I don't really need a "first" car let alone a second...

This is something i've been mulling over in my mind for a while. My valver isn't getting any younger and frankly with petrol prices as they are, low 20's MPG on my drive to work just doesn't make any sense. I'd rather buy a sensible and super frugal daily and FINALLY get myself a VR6 in place of the valver.. but only use it some of the time, and know that I have another car to use so I can work on the VR at my own speed - not something I can do with the valver as its my daily, so ALL jobs need to be finished by the weekend!

I recently bought a good quality road bike to cycle to work (9 miles each way) but the weather has been so fecking atrocious and unpredictable i've only gone in on it about 6 times!

Up until recently Ive always been a one car man however after selling the S3 I needed something to commute, comply with comapny car allowance rules and be able to tow my supermoto for the racing. I bought a 99 Golf Tdi and had money left over so I bought a VR. I wont be using the VR as a weekend car but Im not using it everyday and its sit in the centre of Aberdeen everyday so it isnt cotten wooled.

Ive got a gixxer 750 for weekend fun as well as the KTM and maybe soon a YZ250 crosser for some bone crunching fun. I couldnt justify using the VR everyday but I do believe in using them and not just 2-3000miles a year.

I have been thinking about another car for a while.

Luckily i am changing position at work which will give me use of a van and will cut out the commuting in the VR,

I still want a second car though, something that can get beaten up and abused, so the C will become a weekend car only.

This is something i've been mulling over in my mind for a while. My valver isn't getting any younger and frankly with petrol prices as they are, low 20's MPG on my drive to work just doesn't make any sense. I'd rather buy a sensible and super frugal daily and FINALLY get myself a VR6 in place of the valver.. but only use it some of the time, and know that I have another car to use so I can work on the VR at my own speed - not something I can do with the valver as its my daily, so ALL jobs need to be finished by the weekend!

I recently bought a good quality road bike to cycle to work (9 miles each way) but the weather has been so fecking atrocious and unpredictable i've only gone in on it about 6 times!

Probably not worth getting 2 cars with the miles you do mate. If you only do 9 miles in traffic everyday, a Smart car is probably your best bet :D

I would defo look at getting a VR6 *now* though because they really are worth bugger all at the moment and if the rumours are true that a litre of 95 will hit £1.50 by September..... the market will soon be saturated with performance bargains.

:wave: Was at Sale Water Park yesterday (Manchester) - thought I'd take some pics of my fairly recent purchase. Booo-hisss - traitor! :p Am still keep the VR though :clap:

CFMyFocus1.jpg

CFMyFocus2.jpg

CFMyFocus3.jpg

Yes have done for the last 6 years. hence the low mileage on the VR......

My daily drive is an economical 03 plate vauxhall corsa SXi.... with the fuel prices going up and up. I win both ways less on fuel for the daily commute, miles stay off the VR..... but the down side is no fun in the week. :(

Super frugal is the way I went too, although only because my VR engine died and I was forced to get another car. I decided to get an Arosa 1.0 (R Reg) I only have absolute praise for it, cheap as chips in every way (Cam belt change £118), and it sips petrol, I commute 2 hrs every day and spend £28 a week in petrol (fill up) It used to cost me £60-70 in my tired old VR. The money saved is paying for the 3.2 to go in the Corrado :D

I know I've only just bought the Corrado but I've always planned to use it as a weekend car, my daily driver is going to be a motorcycle, once I've passed my test.

Queue hopping, fuel sipping, Ferrari performance.

I can't afford to tax/insure two cars, but even if I did I'm not sure I'd want to. I bought a Corrado because I wanted to drive one! Cars are meant to be driven, loved, dinged, and have miles put on em! I'd feel guilty leaving it in the garage all week.

That said, if I *did* get a second car, I'd love a 205 GTI! They're like little toys and apparently great fun to drive :D

i always run a second car for winter time,i hate the salt eating away at the raddo that ive spent so much time and effort into,during the summer time i get rid of the second car(its always some banger) and use the raddo for daily.

The Focus takes £43-ish every 360 miles and from memory the VR takes £80-ish every 400 miles. You do the math... no seriously coz I can't :brickwall:

I can't afford to tax/insure two cars, but even if I did I'm not sure I'd want to. I bought a Corrado because I wanted to drive one! Cars are meant to be driven, loved, dinged, and have miles put on em! I'd feel guilty leaving it in the garage all week.

Thats exactly how i feel.

I'm with cheesewire, if I bought a second more economical "sensible" car for daily use and kept the Corrado for the weekends it would feel like I was getting one step closer to being me dad.

I just bought a new daily driver so the Corrado can have a rebuild, it's an R32 :nuts:

I'm with cheesewire, if I bought a second more economical "sensible" car for daily use and kept the Corrado for the weekends it would feel like I was getting one step closer to being me dad.

I just bought a new daily driver so the Corrado can have a rebuild, it's an R32 :nuts:

I suppose you're on to something there as we can't determine love for the VR through use or not, as it's predominantly a financial thing for me anyways. One for the fact my VR needs some work, and two I'm never gonna part with it. Love for the VR is down to personal preference I guess, in many ways - as it's a driver's car and for those who have the confidence to rag their VR whenever they can, are enviable in my eyes and for sure I'd be joining you if I had the money to fix mine. For now I share a different love for my rado, as it rests under a weather blanket on my drive, while I get the money together to do what I want to it.

I've just got the folks' mighty P-reg 1.3 Fiesta for a runabout whilst I get the VR sorted. It's a terrible car in just about every way -- except economy (£37 for a tank that does 350 miles!) If only somehow the VR would do that!! Really need to get the VR sorted now, it's been sitting on the drive for nearly 6 weeks now looking rather sorry :(. Should be starting the work next weekend once I get the garage cleared though :clap:

Mines off the road at the moment too, though not because its broken, but because i need to save some cash to get the debts gone. Only been a couple of week and im already missing driving it :( *sigh*

I've nearly caved & bought a daily a few times now as I want to keep the raddo for "best"! Everytime I get close to buying one though I get some unexpected expense (to be fair, this one was my fault as I'm getting hitched now!). I'm desperate to keep the miles off the Raddo, but at the moment, I just can't justify the expense of another car, especially as the impending wedding & honeymoon have eaten up my daily drive funds :?